Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Had a mishap with the car... need some advise re parts

djsubtronic

Hi guys

The front of my Focus mk2.5 was damaged today and I need a new front bumper and bonnet.

Where would be the best place to find them? Are they easy to swap out or should I take it to a body shop? (Got a rough labour estimate of about 400)

Also a couple of questions:
- Is the MK2 bumper the same as MK2.5?
- Can a MK2 ST bumper fit a MK2.5 Zetec?

Any other suggestions? Tips?

I have attached a pic of the damage.

IMG_20160611_181325.jpg

Sorry, bumpers and front panel are all different on the pre-facelift Focus' so will not sit correctly with the lights and bonnet. Think you'll need to go like for like.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve 74 said:

Sorry, bumpers and front panel are all different on the pre-facelift Focus' so will not sit correctly with the lights and bonnet. Think you'll need to go like for like.

Thanks... would a same gen ST bumper fit mine though?

It should do, yes. That's pretty much what you have on there now.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steve 74 said:

It should do, yes. That's pretty much what you have on there now.

Haha no I put the grills and rubber strip at the bottom myself on the standard Zetec bumper :)

Yeah, but the basic shape of the bumper to headlamp and grille area is the same on the ST bumper and the standard ones on the 2007.5 models, but a different profile on the 2004 - 2007.

Also the 2007.5 ST bumper is more similar to the standard version than the 2004 - 07 versions were. Slightly more subtle than the earlier ones.

• Like 1

Ah cool. Thanks for your replies. Do you have any idea if it's possible as a DIY job if I can source the parts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, djsubtronic said:

Ah cool. Thanks for your replies. Do you have any idea if it's possible as a DIY job if I can source the parts?

Should be fine as long as there is no damage/ distortion to the front panel behind. 

• Like 2

You will need to get that bumper off to check the extent of the damage, or try and get a good look under the slam panel,  with luck it'll be fine, if other stuff is damaged its all doable yourself

• Like 3

would this not be an insurance claim anyway for repairs that will probably cost upwards of £500 or am i missing something here ?

Also, what did you hit? If you hit a lamp post or something else on the high street and someone saw you, you might get in to a lot of trouble for not reporting it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Also, what did you hit? If you hit a lamp post or something else on the high street and someone saw you, you might get in to a lot of trouble for not reporting it.

Happened inside a car park involving a giant concrete pillar ... all reported and no insurance required (no damage to the pillar). Hence why I thought I would try deal with it by myself if possible.

• Like 1

still dont understand why you would want to pay for repairs out of your own pocket if insurance is in place to take care of it ?

3 minutes ago, biff55 said:

still dont understand why you would want to pay for repairs out of your own pocket if insurance is in place to take care of it ?

No claims bonus. Also I'll be paying like 300 on the excess as it is. If I can get it sorted myself for 400-500 I might as well do it myself and not get wound up in the long winded insurance process, as the damage is purely cosmetic and the car is running fine.

• Like 2

bumper needs to come off check panel behind check aircon rad as its close as well check headlight catches aren't broken and the bonnet hinges haven't been bent if all that's fine its just a mk2.5 bonnet and a bumper maybe a clip or two if not its not as straight forward as it may seem ...youll be amazed how much damage a small impact can do

• Like 3

That's a good sign if everything is running as it should. I'd call round some scrappys and see what they have, i doubt you'll find any ST parts but you should be able to get a zetec bumper and bonnet quite easily. If you feel confident in your abilities then replacing a bonnet and a bumper is an afternoon's work. Job done for under £250 I'd guess.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ive been looking at new bumper, had bugger all luck getting a good priced zetec s front or rear bumper in silver, would rather not hae to paint it.

I know of a car that was almost a write off due to a rear end shunt, on the surface it was just a cracked bumper and didn't look all that bad at all,  but it turns out the bumper bar and the crumple zone its self were all warped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

ive been looking at new bumper, had bugger all luck getting a good priced zetec s front or rear bumper in silver, would rather not hae to paint it.

I know of a car that was almost a write off due to a rear end shunt, on the surface it was just a cracked bumper and didn't look all that bad at all,  but it turns out the bumper bar and the crumple zone its self were all warped.

Well damn, hope that isn't the case with me. I mean it was only 5-10 mph after all and the bonnet seems to have absorbed most of the impact as it's pretty bent out of shape. I've found some cheapish primed bumpers on eBay, not genuine Ford obviously, but reviews seem decent, so I might give that a try.

Just another question - on Saturday eve I managed to pop into a random body shop as they were closnig just to get an intial assessment. When they opened the bonnet and pulled out the upper grille, I warned them to be careful of the delicate lock, which they ignored. And now I think the infamous lock broken issue has happened, but the problem is the bonnet is closed. Is there an easy way to gain access again? I could probably stick my hand into the bonnet from the upper grille if that helps. I'm not 100% sure though if it's the lock that's damage or just stuck somehow. I did verify before closing the bonnet, that when I turned the key clockwise, the little latch moved down. With that being the case should the anti clockwise unlock latch also be working if the 2nd turn was working?

Another question... might sound silly... but does anyone know if a new bonnet will fit inside the car?

23 minutes ago, djsubtronic said:

Another question... might sound silly... but does anyone know if a new bonnet will fit inside the car?

Very doubtful! You need to find a good bonnet from a scrap yard, fit it at the yard and leave the scrap bonnet with them.

Went with me Son to a scrappie last year and changed the whole front end on his Polo, including the big steel crash bar, took two hours but saved messing about getting the parts home.

Try Charles Trent.

http://www.trents.co.uk/

This is their 'pick a part' link

http://www.pickapart.uk.com/

Just now, Ian Lanc said:

Very doubtful! You need to find a good bonnet from a scrap yard, fit it at the yard and leave the scrap bonnet with them.

Went with me Son to a scrappie last year and changed the whole front end on his Polo, including the big steel crash bar, took two hours but saved messing about getting the parts home.

Try Charles Trent.

http://www.trents.co.uk/

Thanks, I actually went there today! Got a bumper, but they don't have any bonnet. There's only one place up in Manchester that has the bonnet in the colour I need, I don't think they will do the fitting there and was planning to get it done closer to home (Surrey). I guess I will have to take some measurements.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Boom, several trips to breaker yards, several hundred pounds, and several other mishaps along the way, my baby is back!

(apart from that unpainted towing eye cover :p)

1.jpg

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club