Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Wheel Bearing Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2009 Mk4

Williamhill

I wonder if anyone can help me, im changing the wheel bearing on my Mondeo 2009 automatic 2,0 tdci edge mk4, I know the hub wheel bearing is built-in the hub assembly, Can i remove the old hub assembly by using a side hammer and hub tool then press the new one in?, Do i need to remove the Ball joint and lower ball joint as well to access the drive shaft to pull it away?

Cheers

William

Good luck removing it with a slide hammer lol.

It can either be removed using a gen2 wheel bearing tool in situe or using a set of 'clam shells' on a press. Personally I wouldn't attempt it any other way as your likely to damage it. 

I'm not to bothered about damaging the old one as I have a new hub assembly and bearing the new bearing is already installed into new Hub assembly, How would I be able to fit the new one in, would I have to remove the balljoint and lower arm ?

sorry that should have said removed and installed with above mentioned tools. 

you will most likely have to pop the bottom ball joint to remove the driveshaft. 

Is there any other way to remove and install other than the Gen 2 Kit?

I have done one before for a VW using some home made bits on my hydraulic press but not recommended lol.

Thanks for the info ive orderd the 5784 gen 2 kit, Is there any special tools I need to remove lower ball joint? Do you know if the Haynes manuals are good for this model? I downloaded a ford one but it was very confusing and not very informative lol

Thanks again for the reply Stefan

I have never read a haynes manual for your year of car so i cant answer that. 

no special tools required although you will need a good size pry bar as they can be a pain to remove. I also find a good size 1.2 ratchet is a must for using the gen2 kits as it does take some force to get them moving. 

Ive got a Torgue Wrench?  ive seen a tool which splits the ball joint apart after you've loosened the bolt using a screw clamp device?

Cheers

you would be better using a breaker bar instead of a torque wrench if you have one.

I would just go for undoing the ball joint nut and then levering the lower arm down. 

Thanks for the reply ,there doesn't seem to be enough space because of the drive shaft to get a socket in in going to try using a spanner to loosen the nut first? and then lever down with something.

yeah you'll need to use a spanner to remove the nut from ball joint. 

I see your local-ish to me, I would be willing to lend you a hand at the end of the week if your struggling. 

Awe thanks that's very nice of you to offer I think ive got a good idea now what to do problem is cant get much torque on a spanner lol

what size is the nut on the ball joint? something tells me its 22mm? join 2 spanners together, A 22mm and similar size will give you a good bit leverage 

Yeh I think your right but on mine its so worn out its slipping  with a 22 Ill have to find something in-between

I found this it looks the same as laser tools but a lot cheaper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Hub-Bearing-Tool-82-mm-FORD-GEN2-Focus-Mondeo-Land-Rover-Volvo-ASTA-Tools-/122013223120?hash=item1c688e08d0:g:CawAAOSwvg9XXQ58 And ive order an extra long reach 21 and 22 mm spanner hopefully that will do the job

yeah that looks like the same kit. significantly cheaper too. 

I have the laser kit for VW 66mm and a sykes pickavant kit for 72mm ford ones, I dont have anything bigger than 72, both work a treat.

How much has it been rounded off? I usually have more issues with them spinning than rounding off lol. A jack under the ball joint and apply some upwards force to hold the taper tight.. 

I haven't got time to look at it again till end of week, Ill let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your help Stefan.

Ive taken nut of lower ball joint arm but are unable to get it to move, any ideas? im trying to get the Hub out of the drive shaft I have used a slide hammer as I have a new one to install. Do I need to release the steering arm ball joint to?

Thanks

William

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I nearly have the hub out but I will need to release the lower arm ball joint so I can remove drive and fit new wheel Hub bearing?

The ball joint will need released, give the area where the taper fits in the knuckle a good smack with a hammer which will break the taper then lower it down