Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Sync Update - Can I Do It?

Julio Romo

Hi everybody, new to the forum and hoping you can help! :smile:

We have a 2012 Focus Estate 1.6L which we bought second hand as our family car from an official Ford dealer. It's also our first Ford and apart from one issue earlier in the year it's been great.

The car has the SYNC 1 system in it and I've read that a new update is out that links with with Apple Carplay. I know that in the US you can download the update and do the upgrade yourself, but the UK Ford website is pretty awful and advice I've read online is that a dealer does the update.

I took the car in for a service today and they quoted me £99+VAT. I'm reluctant to pay this. Is there anywhere when I can download the update and follow the online instructions and do it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately there isn't really any way to do it. I have a 2013 fiesta st with sync 1 which can't be updated. I have heard that some members have used the download from the ford India site with mixed success. I'm sure someone will come on that may be able to help a little more. 

Thanks Steven.

Yeah, I am tempted to get my local Ford dealer to do the update, but £99+VAT for it?! I'm just not sure. Especially when other markets offer it to customers who want to do it themselves.

The UK Ford obviously see it as an extra bit of revenue, rather than a way of increasing loyalty. Hmmm!

It is the dealer deciding to charge that for it, not Ford.

No reason you can't call round to try and find a better price.

• Like 1

You wont have the later sync that links with apple play, sure thats on sync with app link which was fitted much later than 2012.

• Like 1

Do you have the link to what you read? Carplay is only supported with Sync 3.

When I took my car in for its dealer annual service I told them about the bluetooth cutting contact with my phone a number of times. When I went to collect the car I spoke with the service manager about it and in depth too. He told me they updated it and did it via Ford in America. Anyway when I went to the car I couldn't connect my phone no matter what. He came out and eventually connected his phone. I suggested disconnecting the battery. Hey presto it worked. He said oh well the update failed and there was nothing else he could do except swap the bluetooth module in a few weeks. Oh I said. Problem. What? I'm moving and it'll be too far to travel. Oh he said. No problem. Your problem is logged and you still have 2 years warranty coz it's an electrical item. Same problem with car but disconnecting the battery sorts it.

Oh. That guy said you can only update thru a dealer. He's come across some who have tried themselves and ballzd it up.

• Like 1

yep , some have ballzd it up as you put it, it can brick the sync module. even at a ford dealer if you dont follow procedure correctly you can brick it also. lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club