Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Citroen Relay/ Ford Engine - Starting/Running Problems

Relay200798

Hi, i bought a 2007 citroen relay 2.2 hdi with 135,000 miles on it with the chain driven ford engine and i have nothing but problems with it since.

Its hard to start in the morning or when hot and takes around 3 tries - 1st time it starts idles lumpy then cuts out - 2nd time it starts the engine light comes on it wont rev then it dies - 3rd time it starts idles lumpy engine light comes on then goes of after a few seconds then it idles right and you are able to rev it.

When trying to start it, it fires out a load of white smoke then when running its fires out a load of black smoke.

It keeps going in and out of limp mode and i don't think the turbo is kicking in properly as it has no power at times.

In high gear and low revs it pumps out a load of black smoke.

Now and then it starts pinking/knocking. 

There is also a fairly load whistle when the turbo kicks in.

Removing/ unplugging the MAF sensor does nothing to how the engine runs.

I have fixed and removed a lot of fault codes but there is 4 that keep returning which are all to do with the MAF sensor. 

I have replaced a load of parts, injectors, rail pressure sensor, air/oil filter, engine oil, glow plugs/relay, egr valve, MAF sensor.

The compression is 1-360psi 2-287psi - 3-284psi - 4-347psi

I have put fresh diesel in it with wynns diesel cleaner and now it pumps out loads of white/blue smoke. 

I have cleaned out the inter cooler, injectors, inlet pressure sensor.

Any ideas on what it could be or what to check would be greatly appreciated as i am out of ideas, thanks.  

• 2 years later...

• 3 years later...

hi i.have similar symptoms on mine did you know what was the issue?

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club