Do Not Sell My Personal Information

who can help me to unravel this?

beethoven

The middle black wire coming from the central module must be something to do with the missing reading you are getting, I'm not sure where that would connect to though??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

The middle black wire coming from the central module must be something to do with the missing reading you are getting, I'm not sure where that would connect to though??

If I see it right, it is a single wire?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

USB?

USB charger, Cigarette charger& Volt/amp meter

What is the wire currently connected to? Is it the USB you are trying to measure the amperage of? If so I would try connecting it to the negative terminal of that module

If it is a single wire, than I have connected the wrong wires

My wiring is as follows:

From the central unit(V/A meter) on, middle black wire to neg. usb charger to earth, lower black wire to neg. cigarette plug to earth

As I now see on the photo, the middle black wire goes directly to GND and both the negs. of the powerterminals are connected to each other & to earth.

Does this wiring make any diffirence compared to my current wiring? My opinion?  No

The way i see it, and I am by no means qualified is

Central unit single wire to ground

3 red pos to positive battery

3 black neg to battery negative

Which is similar to what you describe. If you are not getting a reading them try swapping the 2 of the wires in the V/A meter. The single black in the middle with the 3 black at the bottom, just a thougt

That is what I suggested in my last post isn't it? Swapping the single black from Middle to bottom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

That is what I suggested in my last post isn't it? Swapping the single black from Middle to bottom.

Yes, :smile::wink:

Glad it's all working now pal, looks like a good setup. Maybe one day I may do that to mine. What do you plan to use it for? I'm sure you said but I forgot

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

Glad it's all working now pal, looks like a good setup. Maybe one day I may do that to mine. What do you plan to use it for? I'm sure you said but I forgot

I intend to use it primarily for the fridge box ( coolant box ) to keep drinks / meat cool.
In my mk3, I did the same.(also build it myself)

It's one thing EVERY car should have..

And the USB terminal.....don't know

As you see on the picture, I've fused the circuit with 15 amps.

IMG_2770.JPG

• Like 1

That's a really good setup, how did you wire the fuse up? Do you have any pictures or wiring diagrams?

Pictures & wirings....

As you can see on the 2nd picture, I've taken the permanent power of the big gray plug  ( mondeo mk5 ) . The wire is the red-brown one. It's Obvious that you can take any other plug, but they MUST HAVE permanent power(+).

Wire tapped and routed to one terminal of the fuse holder, the other terminal goes to (+) terminal of V/A meter & both the power sockets.

GND (-) = to (-) of the V/A meter. Notice that the V/A meter has 3 terminals: (+)  (-)  & 1 unnamed ( the terminal in the middle). This one in the middle goes to the (-) terminals of both the power sockets.

Hope I was being helpfull :wink:

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

socket.jpg

• Like 1

Perfect, thank you your hand drawn wiring diagram is excellent, I may do something similar to mine at some point. Would it be possible to have a permanent live on one side and a switched live on the other?

You mean, f.e., the lighter socket permanent & the USB-socket switched?

In this configuration, I doubt it. Here you can do it with a separate switch.

This config, it's either switched live or permanent live on both the sockets.

The reason why I did it this way is because I need a permanent powerline for my coolant box.

If you want a switched live, you need to take a switched (+) wire :wink:

• Like 1

No sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

I meant have the same setup on both sides of the car, a USB a V/A meter and a 12v socket. Then on the right hand side of the boot have the whole setup as a permeant live and on the left the whole setup on a switched live feed

I would then power a camera via the switched feed and have the permanent sockets on the other side for something else.

If you have on the other side a switched live, it can .....

• Like 1