Do Not Sell My Personal Information

B0094 fault code

pelekaz

Good morning Gentlemen,

I hope you could help me narrow down my problem. Recently I was experiencing the airbag light issue. The light was coming up then the seat was moved or adjusted, all I had to do is to wiggle the wires under the seat and it was going away for some time. Now it is lit permanently. I have stripped the connector block, sprayed some contact cleaner on both seats, but no luck this time.

Yesterday I had a delphi scanner connected and it showed   B0094 fault code - Center Frontal Restraints Sensor.

One important thing to mention is that I had my engine replaced few weeks ago and all front (bumper, lamps) were removed to get better access. 

I am trying to work out whether the crash sensor was connected properly in front and the problem is not the cables under the seat anymore? If so, where that sensor is located so I could take a look on it? 

Any advice is welcome. I need to sort is out ASAP as I am going for a long trip through EU next week and safety comes first ! 

If the engine was replaced by a reputable garage, at a "reputable" price, take it back & get them to check.

If the engine was replaced by Bodgitt & Scarper, or by a mate, it is a bit harder. Google (or Haynes) may give the location, but testing one of these accelerometers is probably not possible. So unless it is an obvious mis-fitted connector, it will need replacing, and possibly re-calibrating. Hate to say it but sounds like a garage job to me. Airbags going off unexpectedly, or not going off when needed, is pretty serious!

Peter.

The problem is that I fell out with the guys at that garage and I am not going back to them any more. By any chance maybe you have a Haynes manual where it shows the location of the sensor? 

32 minutes ago, pelekaz said:

maybe you have a Haynes manual where it shows the location of the sensor? 

So it was Bodgitt & Scarper, suspected as much! They do a lot of jobs.

On the Focus, it is mounted in a fairly obvious location on the front crash beam that is behind the bumper. Access is just by removing the trim panel between the grille & bonnet latch.

There are also sensors on the "B" door pillars (rear of front doors, I think) near the floor, behind trim panels.

I suspect Mondeo will be similar, they have to be mounted to strong metal panels that will carry any collision impact.

Anyone else seen the Mondeo ones?

Peter.

I did suspect them to be there. I will take a look later. 

Is it hard to get access to B-pillar if anyone knows? 

Guys, could you do me a favor, could you take of the plastix from your front and take a look where se sensor is located? I just took a look and found one connector open with yellow/green and purple/green colours. I am just wondering if garage lost my sensor and left the wire hanging only... the cable is just under the black plastic on the right hand side 

59 minutes ago, pelekaz said:

found one connector open with yellow/green and purple/green colours.

The sensor would be solidly bolted to a steel beam. If missing there should be some clue, mark on the paint, bolt or bolt hole, within reach of the open connector.

Unfortunately, open (unused) connectors are very common, for different variants with a common harness.

Keep looking, would be my advice!

Ok just an update to this. 

I finally located the sensor. Quite hidden place though ! Missed that 2 times. And yes it was left open without connector plugged to it. The connector left hanging is violet green and yellow grey colours, but it's too short to reach the sensor. like 7 inches or so. So i removed the sensor from its original place and connected it to that cable, re-connected the battery again, ignition on and BINGO - light is off. 

So what I am thinking is that from that connector to the sensor there was another cable - like extension and probably that wire went missing, so garage guys didn't bother to double check why such a clean connector is left open and why !Removed! airbag light is ON.
I am going back there today to listen another bunch of excuses.  

Thanks for the input Peter! 

• Like 1

Well, potentially that is very good news!laugh.png

Give it a couple of (careful) drive cycles to double check.

But of course the sensor will not do its job if not in its intended location, and mounted exactly as intended.

In fact, if can bump about, & hit things, it may detect a false collision: Unlikely, the system has checks in it, but could be very nasty.  sad.png

Hopefully an extension cable can be located. This sort of thing is quite possible, design changes late in the design cycle, or during production, may have required the sensor to be moved, but updating the wiring harness was more trouble than adding and extension.

Try to get as much helpful advice out of the garage as possible, maybe butter them up a bit, even if that does stick in your craw, it might be worth it. It is a job that needs to be done properly. It is impossible to really test whether it works or not!

Peter.

• Like 1

I know for sure that its their fault, as they removed all the fronts to change the engine. I previously had airbag light coming on but as said previously it was the underseat connector, which worked every time it was wiggled around and only after i picked up the car from them light was constantly on ( i now i know why!) I prayed all the connectors under seat 3 times, dismounted and fitted back, not a single luck until I got the code reader to read SRS system faults. Again looking at the connector under bonnet - its very clean inside, meaning that it was used before :). 

I have disconnected it again and put it back where it has to be, I don't want to risk leaving it unsecured as it may accidentally trigger the bags to go off!  But my test proved where the fault is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pelekaz said:

I prayed all the connectors under seat 3 times

In my experience, spraying contact cleaner around has limited effect, and is usually short term. Praying may be a better answer!:laugh:

Brilliant spelling error!:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 17/06/2016 at 0:27 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

In my experience, spraying contact cleaner around has limited effect, and is usually short term. Praying may be a better answer!:laugh:

Brilliant spelling error!:biggrin:

:D good attention to details Pete ! :D yeah not only sprayed, but also was praying then turning ignition ON :D 

Anyways, my problem is sorted, the cable was missing and not found, So they soldered an extension and now it works as a charm :) 

• Like 2