Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 Bluetooth Issue

SAP-Ben

Hey

This is my first post here as I have only just recently purchased a MK2 1.6 Zebec Climate. It is fitting with a Sony CD Gen 2 with the phone buttons, but when press the button is pressed all I get is Muted on the screen. Initially I though that the bluetooth module was not factory fitted but since taking the glovebox out using instructions I found, it is there and plugged in. I am however not able to connect to it using my phone.

I am guessing this means I need to replace the bluetooth module, I have attached a picture of the unit, and the part no is 7M5T-19G488-AD. In order to fix this issue do I just need to replace the module with the same part thats faulty or could there be something else wrong? Also must it be exactly the same or can I use an alternative?

IMG_0303.JPG

A Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module with part number 7M5T-19G488-AD is a module of the 1st generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. This system is used on the Focus MK2 and the very early Focus MK2.5. This system was superseded by the newer 2nd generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system on the later Focus Mk2.5.

Did you install a GEN2 or GEN3 Sony radio? The GEN 2 and GEN3 SONY radio's look identical but are technically different. The GEN2 Sony radio is based on the old 1st generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system and the GEN3 Sony radio is based on the newer 2nd generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. The type of Sony radio can only be determined by the production date and part number of the radio.

The 1st and 2nd generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol systems have different radio's, Bluetooth/Voicecontrol modules and wiring. These parts are not interchangeable.

If you installed a GEN3 Sony radio you also have to change the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module for a 2nd generation module and modify the wiring to make it work.

Hi JW

Thanks for the info, its confirmed my thinking of a few things. As for the headhunt type I am not sure if its a Gen2 or Gen3, given that its 57 plate and the head unit was factory installed (along with the bluetooth unit) my thinking is that its a Gen2, I have the serial number on the KeyCode card, can I use that to tell which version I have.

Ben

If the radio was factory fitted it will definetely be a GEN2 Sony radio. A GEN2 Sony radio should work fine with the 1st generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module.

Unfortunately the 1st and 2nd generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol modules are really delicate and break down quite often. There is a big chance your module is defective. The 1st generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol modules are pretty rare. Bluetooth/Voicecontrol was a pretty expensive option back in the days.Very few people ordered this option.

Personally I would not bother to change the module. The 1st generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system is really outdated. Many newer phone types are not fully compatible with this old system and cause compatibility issues. The list of phones that are supported by this system is very short and only contains ancient phone models. Next to this the possibilities of this system are very limited.

Hi JW

That was my thinking, and from what your saying there is no option to connect the later version module to the Gen2 stereo I have. And come to think of it, it might be that there is nothing wrong with the BT module, its just that my iPhone can't connect to it!

Is it possible to install a Gen3 stereo, to maintain the current look of the dash, with the updated BT module. Or should I just bite the bullet and have a new aftermarket installed with the features I need give that I guess the cost would be around the same. Carplay stereos in Halfords were just over £300

Oh, and thank you for all your advise its handle having somewhere I can source great info from. All I need to do now is figure out why I have an annoying rattle in o/f rear!

Ben

The GEN3 Sony radio and the 2nd generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system can be retrofitted to the Focus MK2 without any problems.

The GEN3 Sony radio is basically plug and play. However there are a few pitfalls you need to be aware of:

1. The radio must come from a Focus, C-max or Kuga. Sony radio's from different Ford models look identical but are technically different. This cab resukt in various problems.

2. Only GEN3 Sony radio's with software version 05-XX-XX (or higher) support USB, Ipod and bluetooth Audio. These radio's are produced after about 08-2008.

The 2nd generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module is available in 2 different versions:

8M5T-19G488-Ax. This module only supports Bluetooth/Voicecontrol.

8M5T-19c112-Ax. This is a Ford Sound & Connect module that supports Bluetooth/Voicecontrol and also has support for USB, bluetooth Audio and Ipod.

Alternatively the newer type of module from many newer Ford models can be used. This type of module is fully backwards compatible with the 2nd generation Sound & Connect modules. This type of module has part number CS7T-14D212-xx.

Note that in most cases the module must be configured correctly to make it work. This can be done with a modified ELM327 interface and the free ELMconfig software.

The wiring between the radio and the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module must als be changed. The 1st generation system uses a seperate mono audio input of the radio for sound communication between the module and the radio. The 2nd generation system uses the stereo AUX input of the radio (this is not shown in any way). Basically you have to reroute the AUX wiring. On the 1st generation system the AUX wiring is directly connected to the radio. On the 2nd generation system the AUX wiring is connected --> Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module--> radio (the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module acts as a pass-thru device).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi JW1982,

I know this thread has been dead for a wile, but I'm kinda needing some assistance and you seem to know a great deal about this issue.

I bought a 2006 MKII Focus, Ghia Automatic, 2nd hand of course. There is no BT module in it and the part number from my radio doesn't seem to be Gen2 (I've looked everywhere I could and I don't know what it is). The part number is 6s61-18c815-AG. It's not a Sony radio, it's one of them 6000CD. I should also say that this is not a FoMoCo radio, it's a Visteon, made in Portugal (if that makes any difference). So, what I would like to know is what model of BT module should I look for (if there is any) so I could fit it to my car. If possible, I would like to have a module that allows me to use both the Phone (calls) and the music from it or any other BT device.

I would really appreciate your help buddy.

Cheers,

Matt

This type of radio is based on the 1st generation Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. Next to this the 6000CD radio does not support bluetooth Audio.

If you want the original bluetooth system with both bluetooth phone and audio support you have to change the radio to a GEN 3 Sony (or Travelpilot FX/NX) and install the correct type of (2nd generation) Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module.

• Like 1

Damn, that's just too much hassle. I might get me a Yakour or even a Parrot and that'll be it.

Thanks.

Matt

Is it one of these that I would need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2008-FORD-FOCUS-MK2-SONY-RADIO-CD-PLAYER-7M5T-18C939-JD-CODE-/202314001393

And how would I go about installing it. Just curious as I'd like to replace my naff looking aftermarket stereo with something OEM that can support BT with my iPhone. Would I need to install  a microphone for the handsfree calls.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club