Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel light on too soon

greim

Hi all,. 

Really weird my mk2 1.8 tdci fuel light has come on but needle is showing about just under 1/8 of a tank left and has never come on this early before.  Car does not have a range computer.

help or ideas appreciated 

According to my wiring diagram, there only one sensor in the tank, a conventional float & potentiometer.

The Instrument Cluster (IC) reads this signal, and internally produces the light & drives the gauge, from the same signal. So any discrepancy can only be in the IC.

I would go by the lowest indicator, the light in this case, better than running out!

The dials can lose their position, and take several cycles of the ignition switch to recover. See if it gets better over a few drive cycles.

If the problem persists, then it almost has to be inside the IC. There are places offering to repair them for about £100, with a warranty. Much cheaper than a new one (£500 or more at a garage, as it has to be re-programmed).

If you are brave, a programme called Forscan can re-programme a 2nd hand IC. Lots of people have done it, but it is a little technical.

Please post any feedback or results here, to help others.

Peter.

iy should come on with 50 miles remaining and takes into account the mpg so it may not be wrong if you have a low mpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, artscot79 said:

iy should come on with 50 miles remaining and takes into account the mpg so it may not be wrong if you have a low mpg

Not heard about the mpg sensitivity before, but the IC has the mileage & fuel, so it can tell. Partial fuel fills might be a challenge for it, especially if small & frequent, like the old £5.00 fill. But that would not get you much fuel now!

the mpg effects the total miles if you have 50 miles left and rag it you're mpg will drop as will the total miles left