Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are the best bulbs to use?

Bennaz

Hello,

I have a pretty much a standard 62 reg Fiesta Ecoboost and want to slowly introduce a few mods and start with some subtle light bulb changes on the exterior of the car. 

This is a well talked about topic, but I wondered what are the best bulbs you have/had? Also, is it possible and worthwhile installing a HIDS kit onto my Zetec Fiesta?

I would like the new bulbs to be a white/blue colour and the colour to be matching the lights all around the car. 

Any suggestions are appreciated :biggrin:

I've installed 55w 5k HIDS to my 2014 zetec S dipped beam. I also have LED sidelights which match perfectly.

The rest of my bulbs are

LED plate lights

Silvertec indicators

Warm LED interior lighting

My Full beam will soon be high output LED so I keep the DRL function which wouldn't be possible with HID. Alternatively, I may just upgrade to the LED DRL headlights and have it programmed correctly

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

I've installed 55w 5k HIDS to my 2014 zetec S dipped beam. I also have LED sidelights which match perfectly.

The rest of my bulbs are

LED plate lights

Silvertec indicators

My Full beam will soon be high output LED so I keep the DRL function which wouldn't be possible with HID. Alternatively, I may just upgrade to the LED DRL headlights and have it programmed correctly

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Hello GingerFlame

Thanks for the reply, what about these HIDs?

Also are my lights Projectors H7 or Reflector H7r? 

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 09.28.56.png

Projector headlights on the MK 7 and 7.5 which yours is.

• Like 1

The rest of my bulbs are

LED plate lights

Silvertec indicators

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

Hello GingerFlame

Thanks for the reply, what about these HIDs?

Also are my lights Projectors H7 or Reflector H7r? 

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 09.28.56.png

Those HIDs are extortionate. Myself and a good few other forum members and some of my customers all use the same kit from eBay for £20!!! Only problems is occasional interference with the radio, but I simply fitted some Ferrite coils around the wiring for about £3 and job done! I'll post a link later on!

They're H7. H7Rs are pointless in my opinion

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

Those HIDs are extortionate. Myself and a good few other forum members and some of my customers all use the same kit from eBay for £20!!! Only problems is occasional interference with the radio, but I simply fitted some Ferrite coils around the wiring for about £3 and job done! I'll post a link later on!

They're H7. H7Rs are pointless in my opinion

Oh! What are these!?

Yeah send me a link if you can, and what do you mean they interfere with radio?

• Like 1

They cause a lack of radio reception occasionally due to the electromagnetic interference or something along those lines. Easily solved as I said above! I'll post the item number later when I have chance to find it

eBay 271830915324

H7

55w

I was thinking about HIDs previously but I didn't want to spend the money. I was recommended these and picked these up on eBay for about £6.50 and they're the whitest bulbs I've come across yet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-H7-Ultra-Power-Bright-5000k-Xenon-Gas-White-Car-Front-Headlight-Headlamp-Bulbs-/350783480379

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Search on the forum what are the best h7 headlights?

Or

what are the best HIDS?

i want HIDS, but don't want my insurance being void in an incident because of them, because surely if my car was damaged, an inspector of some sort may check the headlights?

and... I've been told it's a bit of a hassle, unless there are HIDS you can plug and play... Fair enough, but I've been told cutting and fitting them upside down... 

With these they are honestly plug and play. I've tried turning them upside down too and there was no difference.

If you install them neatly and fit the ballast in the headlight then an insurance inspector may not bat an eyelid if all looks factory from the outside.

Even so, I told my insurer and there was no difference in price.

• Like 1

I've upgraded all of my outside lights to Osram Night Breaker Unlimited and Diadem bulbs. Headlights, indicator bulbs, rear bulbs, outside LEDs etc. All in it cost about €130 with a 20% off voucher code from Powerbulbs. The difference in the effectiveness of the bulbs at night is priceless though. Keeps it looking OEM and improves the light output which is exactly what I wanted. The chrome Diadem bulbs look smarter than the orange bulbs too IMO. 

8 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

With these they are honestly plug and play. I've tried turning them upside down too and there was no difference.

If you install them neatly and fit the ballast in the headlight then an insurance inspector may not bat an eyelid if all looks factory from the outside.

Kieran, got any pictures of the light shining onto the road during the day? Evening and night by any chance? 

Cookey.

• Like 1

Kieran, got any pictures of the light shining onto the road during the day? Evening and night by any chance? 

Cookey.

I don't I'm afraid

I'll take some tomorrow and post them 👍

• Like 1

Only managed photos at night I'm afraid as I've been busy 

There's no dark spots or anything like others have experienced & the cut off is almost as sharp as the bixenons I had on the mk6. 

Crystal white in colour & light up the road very well

IMAG2238.jpg

IMAG2239.jpg

IMAG2240.jpg

IMAG2241.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! Going to have order me a set of these! Literally plug and go? 

thanks a lot. 

Cookey.

• Like 1

Im thinking about the same but Im with Cookey on the fact I cant be bothered with cutting things etc, how do these fit into the existing fitment?

Im thinking about the same but Im with Cookey on the fact I cant be bothered with cutting things etc, how do these fit into the existing fitment?

No cutting required! Just a small hole in the bulb cover for the wiring which is then sealed with a grommit. If you decide to remove them in the future fill the whole with another rubber grommet & job done

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@GingerFlame

hiya mate. Looking into your suggested HIDS, in the description it says a working life of >3000 hours, doesn't seem too long, how long you reckon you've had yours on for? Needed to replace them yet? 

Cookey. 

I've had them fitted a few months and had no issues, they haven't started to go dim or flicker at all

I drive a LOT at night coming home from work at daft a clock, also driving to work at 5aM some days hence they see a lot of use. They've outlasted my Philips silver indicators haha, need to change one today as its Been dead and giving me an error for days

If you use them for 4hours on average every day they'll last you around 2 years if I've done the maths right...

HIDs they legal???

• Like 1

Yes they are legal.

They must be fitted to Projector type headlights, or reflectors designed for HIDs to prevent an incorrect beam pattern.

If the lights are less than 2000lumens then no self levelling or headlight washers are required as they're treated as regular headlights.

If they are MARKED as 2000lumens or more then Self levelling & Washers should work where fitted.

That's coming from VOSA themselves regarding NOT advice for testers

If you're interested in arguments about HIDs then there is plenty of topics full of them :)

• Like 1