Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop / Start Not working

Rob2016

Ive had my fiesta EcoBoost (63 plate) for nearly 3 weeks now and stop / start just doesn't seem to work. I questioned this when it was getting a few chips repainted and was told it was up to the car when it worked.

Ive taken the car for long journeys to charge the battery but still no joy. I read in another topic about reseting the battery status so tied this. Stop / start then start to work for that day but wouldn't work the next day.

Would i be correct in saying that this seem to be pointing towards a new battery? Any other suggestions to try?

You should be able to get the battery and alternator checked to see if the condition is okay and it is charging properly.

If you have only had the car 3 weeks, it shouldn't cost you anything either.

Then they can replace the battery if it has had it.

• Like 3

Mine worked for a couple of days when I first bought it on 3rd May.   It hasn't worked since.   The main Ford dealers who I bought it from are coming to collect it on the 20th to see what's wrong.   I'll report back here if they can sort it.

Trouble i have is the dealer won't look at it as they say it will work when it wants to and thats it. 

Ask your dealer to check the battery with there ford approved stop start battery tester, this will confirm the state of charge of battery, needs to be 68% charged and above to work subject to all other conditions that allow stop start to function. Ask for a printout of the battery test, it will show battery type, soc, and if battery is either good, good/recharge required or replace battery.

• Like 1

Mine decided to stop working this morning after working flawlessly for two months. When buying my car the dealer told me that he had a few Red Editions back with a faulty stop/start module. I gave him a ring this morning and he's taking the car in next week for a look over. When I turn the car over the stop/start @ turns amber before it turns green and the light on the switch is off. Is this what is happening with your cars? I don't think mine is much of a battery issue because I don't do many short trips. My commute is about 30km a day.

The aircon temp setting will also prevent stop/start activating if the aircon temp setting is lower than the ambient air temp. The engine will keep running to maintain the selected temperature.

1 hour ago, opr said:

Mine decided to stop working this morning after working flawlessly for two months. When buying my car the dealer told me that he had a few Red Editions back with a faulty stop/start module. I gave him a ring this morning and he's taking the car in next week for a look over. When I turn the car over the stop/start @ turns amber before it turns green and the light on the switch is off. Is this what is happening with your cars? I don't think mine is much of a battery issue because I don't do many short trips. My commute is about 30km a day.

when you drop it off, see if you can find out what module exactly was faulty on those red editions, thanks

• Like 1

Just got my car back from Fords who said that the battery needed charging and I was doing too many short journeys.   I was also told that I need a special battery charger for this car and that I should unplug the dash cam before switching off as the car will think that there's a permanent battery drain.

16 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I was doing too many short journeys.

And I thought Stop-Start was ideal for urban driving with lots of stopping, and often with short journeys! What are they talking about!

Looks like a whole new section of the Forum needs to be set up for Stop-Start & smart charge issues. The Garages (including some main dealers) seem to know less than nothing!sad.png

And surely Ford designed the system to cope with gadgets like dash cams attached? After all they are providing the sockets and stuff for these gadgets.

We need someone who can prise a lot more, accurate, information out of Ford, like the diagnostic codes with their meanings, and wiring diagrams etc, for these systems. The Russians seem pretty good at this (like with Forscan & I think, ELMConfig), anyone got any Russian contacts?

• Like 1

I'm not a happy bunny.   The guy that bought my car back said that the battery had been fully charged and that stop start was now working.   Further to that, he had just driven it nine miles.   I've just taken it out and it isn't !Removed! working at all.   I can feel a letter coming on.

I've written to the General Manager of Sandicliffe Ford asking him to look further into this matter as I am by no means satisfied.   Thanks for your input Peter; I have quoted part of your reply.   I've pointed out to him that, if, as they say, the battery was fully charged this morning, then why is the system still not working or is the battery faulty.   I'll report back when (if) I get a reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

And I thought Stop-Start was ideal for urban driving with lots of stopping, and often with short journeys! What are they talking about!

Looks like a whole new section of the Forum needs to be set up for Stop-Start & smart charge issues. The Garages (including some main dealers) seem to know less than nothing!sad.png

And surely Ford designed the system to cope with gadgets like dash cams attached? After all they are providing the sockets and stuff for these gadgets.

We need someone who can prise a lot more, accurate, information out of Ford, like the diagnostic codes with their meanings, and wiring diagrams etc, for these systems. The Russians seem pretty good at this (like with Forscan & I think, ELMConfig), anyone got any Russian contacts?

I've got a 64 100 Ecoboost 9000miles  and its 18months old - I've had a dashcam plugged into the rear power socket and left it for months  - it powers down after a while (the front socket seems to go off with the ignition) I've only started to remove it recently when i'm not in the car it as I worry about the camera sitting in the sun.

Regarding Stop-start I set off this morning 10am (16c wet) climate on light & wipers on drove 1/2 of a mile stopped at a set of light and the engine stopped (no bars on the temp) I had done a 400mile round trip the week before so perhaps it is just the condition of the battery.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Thanks for your input Peter; I have quoted part of your reply.

Hope it was not the bit about the Russians!

They will think we are some underground sect undermining Western democracy, or something!laugh.png

Undermining the cosy Manufacturer to Main Dealer relationships, maybe. At least to the extent that it dis-benefits customers.

Peter.

Stop Start worked for the first time yesterday afternoon, same conditions as usual. Today driving to work it didn't work once.

Really not sure whats going on.

It is a very fussy system and will only stop the engine if every condition is met.

battery is the main cause for it not working, but it also takes in to account various temp sensors, a/c load, electrical load, etc.

Mine has started working again so I'm assuming it's a battery related issue rather than a hardware issue as suggested by my dealer. Gonna leave them take it in anyway on Friday and give it a once over. 

My next ford will more then likely be a start/stop. In easier terms will the weather play a part on that system? It gets quite cold sometimes in Devon haha 

• Like 1

I delivered my letter this morning and have just had a phone call from the manager.   If I can take my car in at 10.15am this Friday they will fit me a new battery for free.   RESULT.

• Like 2

Mine has been temperamental lately. on my 2013 Titanium.  Seemed to be working again this morning, but hasn't been for some days.

I suspected that my problem was with the battery all along and had suggested it to the mechanic who said that the battery was perfect.   Obviously a lying so and so otherwise why would they give me a new battery.   I'm sure the delivery guy lied as well as he said that the s/s system had worked all the way back from the dealers.   I immediately tested it and it didn't work.

Had my new battery fitted this morning.   Took 2 hours - mainly because once it was fitted they couldn't get the stop/start system to work.   Now they want the car back for three days to try to sort it out..   I've noticed that when Fords have my car the average mpg drops like a stone.

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

Had my new battery fitted this morning.   Took 2 hours - mainly because once it was fitted they couldn't get the stop/start system to work.   Now they want the car back for three days to try to sort it out..   I've noticed that when Fords have my car the average mpg drops like a stone.

They had mine for a TCM recall and it dropped from 37 to 31, now I'm lucky to get 30.

Drove up to Wakefield and back today a distance of 140 miles.   The new battery should be fully charged now but S/S is still not working.

On 24/06/2016 at 3:22 PM, Pullock said:

They had mine for a TCM recall and it dropped from 37 to 31, now I'm lucky to get 30.

If that is accurate, then it is a serious fault. Costing you £150 per year or perhaps more (on 5k miles / yr & £1.10 per litre).

How are you measuring it: brim to brim fills, using the pump litre count & the trip mile-meter, or using the possibly dodgy guesses of an in-car display?

If that mpg is accurate, (& ideally provable using fuel receipts) I would definitely take it back & complain. Worth the hassle for £150 per year.

(A brief drop in mpg after some service operation may be due to the pcm re-learning optimum settings, but that should be just a few journeys, a lot less than a tank full.)