Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeal/grinding from front left

dhr90

Recently been having a squeal/grinding when reversing with full left lock, believe to be a result of the broken suspension/steering shown in the picture below. 

What part is this, how easy is it to replace, and what is the likely cost if I take it to a garage? 

How dangerous is it to drive the car while it's broken? Hope to get it fixed on Monday, and can avoid using it until then, but useful to know its function. 

image.jpeg

looks like a drop link to me, should only take about five minutes to swap over.

indeed it is a droplink(front anti roll bar link) it connects the antiroll bar to the front strut.

2 hours ago, Andy-v said:

looks like a drop link to me, should only take about five minutes to swap over.

take longer to fill the kettle and get the biscuits out the bottom drawer :lol: 

• Like 2

Bottom draw is an odd place to keep biscuits... :laugh: 

Garage would probably charge about half an hours labour to change it but shouldn't be anymore than that.  They can be a pain to remove if the ball joints spin when trying to undo the nuts but the OE Ford ones have a flat part to get a spanner on (at least they do on both of mine!).

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Bottom draw is an odd place to keep biscuits... :laugh: 

Garage would probably charge about half an hours labour to change it but shouldn't be anymore than that.  They can be a pain to remove if the ball joints spin when trying to undo the nuts but the OE Ford ones have a flat part to get a spanner on (at least they do on both of mine!).

Nah depending on the box the bottom drawer can be quite deep, perfect for the biscuits n coffee jars haha.

on a relevant note, as already mentioned a lot of drop links have a flat on the rear of the ball joint to make removal a bit easier. 

• Like 1

on the old one, vice grips are easier to use,open ended spanner can slip while your undoing a tight rusted nut.spanner on the new one.

chances are the other one will be worn, or balljoint dust covers split. so a pair may be needed.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

on the old one, vice grips are easier to use,open ended spanner can slip while your undoing a tight rusted nut.spanner on the new one.

chances are the other one will be worn, or balljoint dust covers split. so a pair may be needed.

if all that fails..cut off saw :D

Important things first, I keep biscuits on the side, for maximum accessibility!

Had a couple of quotes today, one around £40, and then Kwikfit wanting £70 plus tracking. Pretty sure the ball joint dust covers were in an MOT advisory so may get them both done if I can negotiate a discount. Plus it means I won't be lying under the car in the pouring rain.

Will it need tracking done? It doesn't look like a part that should affect tracking, but that tyre is slightly more worn than others. It may just be out from having clipped a kerb once or twice while avoiding SUV morons in the middle of the road instead.

• Like 1

Changing droplinks won't affect tracking.  But the uneven tyre wear could be tracking related.

• Like 1

Thanks! The uneven wear doesn't look far out to me, both tyres might need replacing by the next MOT and I may call it a day on this car by then rather than invest that much money into it again (famous last words I'm sure).

for £40 i would want them both doing and the tracking :ph34r: never mind the £70 kwik poo wanted that is day light robbery,

you can get em off eBay from £8-£20 a pair

easy to do :D

Changing those is about as simple as it gets, one degree harder than taking your wheel off ;) no need to even get under the car, just get the wheel off and your most of the way there. sure as hell wouldn't pay out 70 quid for some numpty to do it.  I did both of my front drop links the other month, 20min tops, that was for them both.

• Like 1

Ah well, done now at £38.  At least I wasn't doing it in the pouring rain at home, needed to be done today so its not the end of the world. I declined their £70 tracking service though, that was taking the mickey I thought.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Andy-v said:

for £40 i would want them both doing and the tracking :ph34r: never mind the £70 kwik poo wanted that is day light robbery,

You're lucky you live up North then! :tongue:

Labour costs a bit more down here. :wink: 

• Like 1