Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 focus facelift Front disk replacement

Russ

Hope this is in the correct section, apologies if not.

I'm replacing my front disks/pads this weekend on my 2008 mk2 facelift focus. I've read some horror stories on other forums about stuck disks and just wondered has anyone here had any problems replacing theirs?

Fitting Brembo disks and pads, got a 7mm Allen key ready. I've changed disks before on a fiesta mk6 and a cavalier TD, just haven't done any on a focus till now. Thanks.

Did my Focus ones last year, probably original given the age and mileage, didn't have any problems at all.  :smile: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Did my Focus ones last year, probably original given the age and mileage, didn't have any problems at all.  :smile: 

Mine are original and have only done about 44,000 Tom but the disk has a slight lip on it so wanting them done before my MOT in September rather than have the garage attempt to rip me off with the usual patter of "hmmmm your pads/disks are 80% worn, we can do them for £***"" using the cheapest of parts! 

Just checked, did them a year ago almost to the day lol!  Somewhere around 54k miles.

IMAG4804_zpsq9pbedx9.jpg

IMAG4814_zpsc0u3x54q.jpg

IMAG4806_zps6icweun0.jpg

Worth painting calipers while you're there as well.

IMAG4807_zpscpzii31u.jpg

• Like 1

I did fancy painting them while I had the wheels off. I also almost bought the pagid disks/pads but plummed for the Brembo at £1 a disk more! (I like the fact your disks look coated, normally any I've bought are just finish turned with no coating)

I actually emptied my 'basket' on the website I got them from then later received an email offering me 20% off. 

Pagid discs are always painted, looks cool until you use them lol...  But seriously I find it stops the central hub and outer edges rusting as quickly.

I've managed to warp a few Eicher discs so always used Pagid pads & discs ever since, not used Brembo's that I can remember though so can't comment on those.

• Like 2

Up till now I've always used either Brembo or Ferodo and haven't had any problems but I've seen some cheap brand disks that weren't even equal thickness on either side of the vented centre! 

• Like 1

Well, disks are on, old ones were rusted onto the hub but tapped off with a plastic headed mallet, Pistons eased back ok. All in all took me about 75 minutes with help from my daughter to check the brake fluid didn't overflow. Copper grease onto the mating faces of the disk/hub/wheel, jobs a good un. Now let's see how achy I am in the morning!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Russ said:

Well, disks are on, old ones were rusted onto the hub but tapped off with a plastick headed mallet, Pistons eased back ok. All in all took me about 75 minutes with help from my daughter to check the brake fluid didn't overflow. Copper grease onto the mating faces of the disk/hub/wheel, jobs a good un. Now let's see how achy I am in the morning!

Lets see the result then :). I have just purchased some brembo's for mine too for the braking performance and the look of drilled discs :tongue:

Just now, Jeremyc said:

Lets see the result then :). I have just purchased some brembo's for mine too for the braking performance and the look of drilled discs :tongue:

I was going to take photos but didn't remember until the first wheel was back on but I'll take a photo of the old disks tomorrow to show how bad they were, and only 44,000 miles on an 08 plate!

Just now, Russ said:

I was going to take photos but didn't remember until the first wheel was back on but I'll take a photo of the old disks tomorrow to show how bad they were, and only 44,000 miles on an 08 plate!

Don't forget to show us the new braking setup as well so we can compare. 44K for your FIRST brake change on the car?

15 hours ago, Jeremyc said:

Don't forget to show us the new braking setup as well so we can compare. 44K for your FIRST brake change on the car?

44,0000 miles and it's the first brake change (genuine Ford),  the car is 8 years old. Unfortunately I'm not taking the front wheels off as its starting to rain here but here are two pictures of the rear of old disks. The fronts look quite good but the inside faces on one are terrible. Pads were down to about 4-5mm, hence changed them. The new disks and pads are Brembo

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Brembo's installed and I resprayed and removed curb damage from the alloy while i was there

IMG_20160707_144751.jpg

• Like 1

You need some tyre black now...nothing worse than black rims and grey tyres lol! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

You need some tyre black now...nothing worse than black rims and grey tyres lol! :biggrin:

I actually have some Mequiars tyre gel that I will be applying later. Should be sweet

Ideal, the Meg's is still my favourite after trying a few others recently!

• Like 1