Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New fiesta won't start :(

TomGB

Picked up a cheap Fiesta Flight 1.3 2001 to fix up and give to a friend. It's been sitting for a year and apparenlty "will run fine". All I've done so far really is clean the spark plugs and still no luck. Heres some videos if it help, might need to turn the sound up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

First video looks like battery is flat. But it appears to be turning over in the second one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stef123 said:

First video looks like battery is flat. But it appears to be turning over in the second one. 

Checked battery with a multimeter, reading the full 12v and I've also tried starting it while being jumped with my main fiesta. Just turned over fast still no start.

Heres another video of me trying to start it earlier on, 

Checking a battery with just a multimeter doesn't prove its got the oomph to start a car but if it is turning over then it likely has. 

Have you checked it's getting fuel and got spark? 

• Like 2

Just now, stef123 said:

Checking a battery with just a multimeter doesn't prove its got the oomph to start a car but if it is turning over then it likely has. 

Have you checked it's getting fuel and got spark? 

Going to remove a plug and hold it near some metal tomorrow to check for spark unless there's a simpler way. How could i check for fuel?

Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn key to ignition position? (Lights only - no starter)

• Like 1

Just now, stef123 said:

Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn key to ignition position? (Lights only - no starter)

I would assume no, not 100% what it would sound like but if I heard it on a working car maybe i would recognise the sound.

1 minute ago, TomGB said:

I would assume no, not 100% what it would sound like but if I heard it on a working car maybe i would recognise the sound.

You would know if it was I think, it makes a whirring noise. If it's totally silent when you turn key to ignition stage your needing to investigate the pump 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Are you sure there's even fuel in it!?

The gauge was below empty when I pushed it too my house, then i put about 8-10 litres in.

Ah ok, should be enough in it now then.  I'd probably check for leaks around the fuel pipes and filter as it was so low before though.  Also, have you tried starting it with the fuel cap off?  I've come across a few of them that cause huge vacuum in tank, usually leads to running rough rather than not starting at all but worth a try.

Listen to your own cars fuel pump to see if this one makes the same noise on ignition on.

Got access to a diagnostic scanner?  Even an OBD one on a mobile phone?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah ok, should be enough in it now then.  I'd probably check for leaks around the fuel pipes and filter as it was so low before though.  Also, have you tried starting it with the fuel cap off?  I've come across a few of them that cause huge vacuum in tank, usually leads to running rough rather than not starting at all but worth a try.

Listen to your own cars fuel pump to see if this one makes the same noise on ignition on.

Got access to a diagnostic scanner?  Even an OBD one on a mobile phone?

Not sure if this car has ODB I'll have to check but I might still have my bluetooth odb scanner thing somewhere.

if its sat for a while i wouldn't be surprised if the pump has seized

• Like 1

It could be a blocked fuel filter especially if like you said the fuel tank has been run low it could be pulling all sorts of muck from the bottom of the tank?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stef123 said:

if its sat for a while i wouldn't be surprised if the pump has seized

21 hours ago, SpannerTheCat said:

It could be a blocked fuel filter especially if like you said the fuel tank has been run low it could be pulling all sorts of muck from the bottom of the tank?

Okay I removed the fuel filter, a little bit of fuel came out of that but the two pipes it connected too. nothing. Nothing came out the pipes even when turning the keys. I'm assuming this means perhaps the relay or fuse is broken or the pumps seized?

• Like 1

Have you checked the fuel cut off switch next to the fuse box behind the glove box?...

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

Have you checked the fuel cut off switch next to the fuse box behind the glove box?...

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

No, not sure why it would be on but I'll try to have a look. I'm having real trouble finding any pictures or diagrams for this car, not sure if its mk4 or mk5 (2001).

yeah you should be getting fuel from that pipe. have you got a multimeter? check the connector at the pump to see if its getting power. 

• Like 2

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

No, not sure why it would be on but I'll try to have a look. I'm having real trouble finding any pictures or diagrams for this car, not sure if its mk4 or mk5 (2001).

Heres another video i just did incase it helps. Dont know why my phones mic is so quiet.

Times like this its worth checking everything (y)

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

Took the day off work to try get this figured out, gotta get it running by the 13th july and through MOT.

Detached the fuel tank to access the pump cable.

*******Checked the cable at the correct prongs and there is no power being sent to the pump. only to the fuel sender. I also checked the inertia switch and that is fine. I also spliced the inertia switch cables as it goes to the pump and again, no power. I need to locate the relays I'm assuming but can't find any decent diagrams.

I bought a pump from the breakers which is probably not the issue now. I assume its a relay or fuse but i cannot find any diagrams for my car model.  2001 Fiesta 1.3 Flight -  HK51 JGZ

Plj3M2bh.jpeg

• Like 1

Fords usually have the fuse diagrams in the lid of the fusebox, but I assume you've checked that?

• Like 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Fords usually have the fuse diagrams in the lid of the fusebox, but I assume you've checked that?

Yes, nothing there unfortunately.

k4 is the fuel pump relay, in your photo is the bottom left relay, the fuse that feeds that relay is fuse 30 and fuse 31, you can see the fuse numbers on the fusebox

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Russ said:

Is this what your after TomGB

Failing that, try this site :- http://www.fordmanuals.org/page-499.html

I did print this exact one off but it doesnt seem to match with my fusebox. I'll give the fordmanuals site a try.

17 minutes ago, iantt said:

k4 is the fuel pump relay, in your photo is the bottom left relay, the fuse that feeds that relay is fuse 30 and fuse 31, you can see the fuse numbers on the fusebox

K4 is that this one highlighted? If you don't mind me asking so I can learn, how do you know it's that one?

d4zf5xVh.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club