Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Painting Brake Calipers (need ideas!)

L22EEW

Just looking for some colour idea's really.  As on the weekend I finally had my Momo's fitted, but the "standard" looking coloured brake calipers are a slight eye-sore.

Since she's a Frozen white, I will thinking along the lines of a bright yellow? Amazon Linky -  I know that "red" is the most common colour, but thought i'd try something different

Any other users, with a Frozen White painted yours calipers?

:wheelchair:

IMG_20160702_103206.jpgIMG_20160702_103831.jpg

Photo's are deceiving, as the wheels are not black - they're Anthracite (with a METAL flick in the lacquer) :tongue:

Sorry, I looked at it on my phone without clicking the pictures, now I clicked the pictures I see what you mean, that looks amazing, however I stand by my caliper paint choices 😁

• Like 1

Sky blue! That's the colour I went with on my Frozen white Fiesta.

Even the Focus RS nitrous blue would like amazing with white

Hammerite Oxford Blue, anything too light/bright just immediately shows up the brake dust which is annoying.

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hammerite Oxford Blue, anything too light/bright just immediately shows up the brake dust which is annoying.

Just seen this somewhere on the forums:

http://i.imgur.com/mNdtAYj.jpg

Doesn't look too bad

Haha, might have been - I just Googled " Hammerite Oxford Blue" and have a browse through the images :sleep:

• Like 1

Ford have picked Blue for the RS and it looks nice, so that would be my pick and I'm thinking about going down that route myself soon 

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to change my alloys at some point in the near future, while they're off might as well give my calipers a spray. 

Not experience in this area though. 

What preperation and stages will you be doing if its not too much trouble? 

I have the basic knowledge... That's it aha! 

Let us know what colour you went for?

Cheers. Cookey. 

Are those discs or drums at the back? Although nothing wrong with drum brakes, it always seems odd when you have painted calipers up front then the same bright painted drum on the rear. Red usually signified metal brake discs, yellow usually signifies a ceramic disc. 

• Like 1

ImageUploadedByFord OC1468479770.009790.jpg

An hour a side. Nothing special about the paint, the preparation is everything, dismantle, clean, degrease, rub down.

I used a fine, small brush and applied 4 coats of caliper paint.

Let it dry after the last coat, then re-assemble using copper based grease in the right amounts and places.

Keeping them clean after is important or they get to look shabby but my paint hasn't come off.

All I did to my rear drums was remove, clean, rub down, prime and paint in black gloss as the original finish is rubbish......

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Seems a lot of effort...  I just give mine a quick brush off, remove any flakes of rust and slap the paint on...  Never had any come off... :laugh:

• Like 1

Seems a lot of effort...  I just give mine a quick brush off, remove any flakes of rust and slap the paint on...  Never had any come off... :laugh:

Ive always been an addict for detail, once a month the wheels come off so I can polish the whole of the wheels and not just the fronts lol.

While they're off I pressure wash under the arches (carefully!) then clean up any rusting bolts or nuts, clean exposed threads out an polish anything easily visible as a passer by haha....

• Like 2

Haha, I've never had a car new enough for that lol, wheel insides are wrecked time they haven't been cleaned at all for the first 6 or so years lol.

Not sure I'd like a brand new car either though, would spend more time cleaning than I would driving! :lol: 

• Like 1

With the car being black have you considered Gold calipers? I painted mine with Gold Hammerite Smooth,@m1tch is correct about painting the rear drums,i originally painted them Silver but they didn't look right so repainted them in Black.

20160607_162304.jpg

20160607_163003.jpg

• Like 2

I painted mine red and now the paint is starting to come off after few months ! Need to repaint 

1 hour ago, Patrico777 said:

I painted mine red and now the paint is starting to come off after few months ! Need to repaint 

All about prep as has been said above, brake dust combined with the elements will ruin them otherwise!

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

All about prep as has been said above, brake dust combined with the elements will ruin them otherwise!

What is the best procedure now ? To repaint ?

Yes repaint, but prepare the surfaces better this time, painting on to dirt/dust is asking for trouble.

With the car being black have you considered Gold calipers? I painted mine with Gold Hammerite Smooth,@m1tch is correct about painting the rear drums,i originally painted them Silver but they didn't look right so repainted them in Black.

20160607_162304.jpg

20160607_163003.jpg

Gold looks good on a grey car too, I did my i30 calipers, front and back in gold.

5788e082a2a46_ImageUploadedByFordOC146855788e09914eef_ImageUploadedByFordOC14685

• Like 1

Blue looks awesome, especially with dark coloured wheels. PS. great wheel choice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ffoxy said:

Yes repaint, but prepare the surfaces better this time, painting on to dirt/dust is asking for trouble.

I will brush it longer and use maybe some sanding paper as well

21 hours ago, Ffoxy said:

Should I brush the paint off then ?? And repaint ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club