Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers footwell wet

TheMadHatter

I have just been cleaning my car and have found that the drivers side footwell was wet. The carpet is wet at the bottom but not up by the firewall. Unfortunately water ingress is not covered under my warranty so it looks like I will have to sort this out myself :angry: 3rd car in a row which leaks GRRRRRRR

It is a 2012 1.6 ecoboost titanium.

The water does not smell of anything and the coolant level has not changed

Where should I start looking ? what are the usual suspects for a Mondeo ?

I know this might sound stupid but check your boot and carpet on righthand side 

I have the same car same year and it was always soaking when it rained after ages trying to find where water was coming in it ended up being the rubber gromits where the wires some through 

I bought a waterproof black sealant and sealed the both of them and iv never had a problem since

1467909068624-1915903324.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, iantt said:

I have gone for a drive and yes there is water dripping off this bit, however there is also plenty of water draining from under the car with the Air con running. The water is also warm but that might be because it has run over the heater. If its leaking from the heater matrix big job to change it ? 

if it was heater matrix it would smell of antifreeze

have you looked at the drain where it goes into heater?

sometimes the connection come adrift sufficientl for it to leak into drivers footwell as well as draining out under car.

I have had a look and it all looks secure. I dried off as much of the water as possible from the carpet  and all under the heater matrix and went for a 20 min drive with the air con on full heat and then full cold. When I got back it was still bone dry ? so that might just have been condensation from earlier that I was seeing.

I have marked the coolant level with a sharpie and will check tomorrow as I have a long journey to do. I have also put a little drip tray and some kitchen roll under the heater matrix to see if that gets wet. Most of the water seemed to be in the foot well and the wettest bit was the first few inches in front of the drivers seat. 

I have checked the rubber grommets at the boot and the inside of the body is dry so it does not look like water got in there (the plastic retainers are a right bugger to get out !)

I will wait see what happens and if it gets worse when it rains or the car is washed. 

The rubber gromits looked ok in mine too I ended up putting an old towel undead boot carpet and tucking it under rear wheel well carpet 

The thing with mine was the boot was dry but somehow the water was leaking in running under back seat on drivers side then into front drivers side

I stripped all the carpet and plastic trim out of mine and noticed the water running down between metal joints running along sill from back too front

As I say yours might be different to mine but it's just an idea for you to try with the old towel or cloth under boot carpet on drivers side 

I took mine back to ford when I found it but the c***s were not interested in think the rubber gromits with the plastic are a design flaw as they don't seal properly

Ok I am fairly certain that I have found at least part of the problem

I went for a 5 hour journey yesterday and when I finished the journey the sound deadening at the front bottom oft the foot well was wet again and wettest on the left near the aircon drain.

There was a fair bit of condensation on the rubber bit of the drain. I removed and checked the hose and its clear and it appears to be draining from under the car fine (will check this more thoroughly later)

What appears to be happening is that there is water leaking from around the white plastic insert on the side of the transition tunnel. This bit can be rotated and appears that it was once stuck in in place

How is this bit held in place on the other side ? I cant get under the car to look atm

DSC_0340[1].JPG

its just clipped in , just get a screwdriver and carefuuly prise out. I think later vehicles had a slightly thicker foam pad that gave a more water tight seal

• Like 1

Ok I will take it out tomorrow and put some sealant around the foam and put it back in. Trying to dry out the carpet / sound deadening at the moment so I can tell if I cure the problem, the weather is not helping :angry:

Ok not quite done "tomorrow" but I have taken it off and, it was full of muck.

I have taken off the foam seal and replaced it with some grey silicone. Will put it all back together and see if it stays dry.

DSC_0345[1].JPG

• Like 1

That looks like the issue then , should be ok once you have cleaned it out, are both ends blocked?

No it was just this end, not sure how this stuff got in there ?

• 4 years later...

Hello just been reading through this post, I'm having the same problem but mine is on the passenger side.... 

Is it possible for it to be the sane thing or would it just be drivers side thats wet? 

I've stripped pass seat out took all carpet up removed all trims, sprayed with jet wash on outside and couldn't see anything coming in, running out of options of where it could be coming from

Been looking for weeks and cant seem find a thing, any help would be appreciated 

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2021 at 5:02 PM, Lewis1998 said:

Hello just been reading through this post, I'm having the same problem but mine is on the passenger side.... 

Is it possible for it to be the sane thing or would it just be drivers side thats wet? 

I've stripped pass seat out took all carpet up removed all trims, sprayed with jet wash on outside and couldn't see anything coming in, running out of options of where it could be coming from

Been looking for weeks and cant seem find a thing, any help would be appreciated 

Is yours left hand drive? Only ask because I imagine they put all the bits in the same place regardless so left hand side passenger side would be our drivers side?

Mine is as mentioned above but have just carefully poured water into that white piece and eventually, water started coming out under the car. So I've either mended it without knowing or all my carpet etc is going to get wet again! 

Good luck!

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club