Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Scrap Car Prices Related to the Time of the Month?

GMX

One of my colleagues, or rather his son, is wanting to scrap his old Vectra.  It's apparently too old and damaged to be of any use to anyone, a Gumtree advert yielded no interest. The dealer he's buying a Fiesta off, wouldn't entertain a part-ex on it. He was going to take down to the local ATF and accept what ever they offered.

However,  one of our engineers maintains you can get a much higher price at the beginning of a calender month, and a much lower price at the end of a calender month, as far as scrap car values go by.  He said it's to do with the way ATFs run their stock books, on a calender month basis.  At the beginning of the month, they have low stock: and consequently pay better prices.

I've never heard of that, and nor has anyone else; except this engineer. Google doesn't throw up anything to confirm it, but equally doesn't say it's a myth.  Not that I've scrapped many cars (3 in total!), but I thought the scrap price was dictated by global scrap steel prices: when it was up: they paid more, when it was down: they paid less.

Anyone else heard of this?

Never heard of it before tbh.

Has he tried we buy any car .com? Even it's it's only 100 quid it might be better than the scrappers price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laumk7 said:

Has he tried we buy any car .com? Even it's it's only 100 quid it might be better than the scrappers price.

That's a good idea, I'll pass it on to him

I think he said the local ATF has offered him £56 if he delivers it to them

Has the old Vectra got a cat' fitted ? I bet you'd get £70 just for that.

• Like 1

That's a good point

1 minute ago, GMX said:

That's a good point

Airbags also can be valuable to restorers!

Son works in a re-cycling centre, people bring cars in and they are weighed and given a price, the customer smiles and all is well.

First thing my Son does is whip out all the seats and checked for loose change..lol Only the other day there was £18 in £1 coins under a back seat!! and he's also found the odd gold necklace & gold ring too....Get the Vectra checked as you don't know what is lost in there :yahoo:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club