Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shell petrol station

fiesta_lad

Hi all could anyone tell me are the cashiers at Shell petrol station allowed to keep hold of your debit card if paying by it while you fill up this happend to me before and i was not happy with this because for all i know the cashier could be copying my account details down has this happend to anyone before cheers alan.

Assuming they have a card reader where you insert the card and type in your pin number the answer is no.

These ‘newer’ machines are supposed to cut out any unnecessary handling by a third person and thus preventing fraud. :)

Can I ask are you inserting the card or passing it over the counter? :unsure:

I don’t use Shell stations so I don’t know if they have a different system but I do know tesco and even my small local garage no-longer handles my credit card

Hth

Cyb

I used to work at a Shell garage (in fact, I've worked at that exact Shell garage in Prescot now I think about it!). We used to do this late at night sometimes because of the increased chance of someone stealing petrol.

I hesitate to say this, but we were told that we only needed to do it to people who looked like they 'might' steal, Boy racers etc. Not that I think you're capable of anything like that, but with a name like fiesta_lad I'm guessing you're young, so you're in the 'at risk' group.

Don't take it personally. That garage was horrendous for drive-offs while I was there.

If thats what Shell does to young drivers, then i would tell them to shove their petrol where the sun don't shine! Last Shell garage a friend went to, they helped themselfs to £3,000 rather than £30. So i would never go to a Shell garage ever again.

If thats what Shell does to young drivers, then i would tell them to shove their petrol where the sun don't shine!

I don't think it's a company policy, it's just what the owner of that garage told us to do (Shell garages are franchise things). It would also widely depend on the time of day, the mood of the person on the till, and if there had been any police alerts recently.

It's a shame, but it's how the world is sadly. Like I said, I wouldn't take it personally. At that Prescot garage I had to turn away at least 3-4 12 year old kids trying to buy cigarettes each day. Out of the 5 Shell garages I worked in (I used to work part time as holiday cover), it was the only one with a dedicated 'board' for noting down registrations of cars who had previously stolen, or had been reported by the police. I also used to regularly get fake bank notes and there were signs everywhere warning staff that any money lost would be taken from their wages, because it was happening too frequently. I like Prescot, but that garage seems to be in a real problem spot.

i havehad my account done twice at my local Shell garage.And also was once told that you should not let your card go out of sight <_< <_< one of the guys at the so called Shell garage seems to not like working nights because he all ways keeps the door locked and no 1 else does had so many 4 am rows with him.

myself and my dad have both had our accounts done from Shell garages.

they can go where the sun don't shine for all im concerned

Hi all could anyone tell me are the cashiers at shell petrol station allowed to keep hold of your debit card if paying by it while you fill up this happend to me before and i was not happy with this because for all i know the cashier could be copying my account details down has this happend to anyone before cheers alan.

i dont understand because dont you normally fill up before going into pay ,does this mean some bloke comes out and says give me your card first :blink:

I always try and find a garage with automatic 'pay at the pumps' for night fill ups. ASDA, TESCO, MORRISONS and most big petrol stations usually have at least one.

Chris...

Assuming they have a card reader where you insert the card and type in your pin number the answer is no.

These ‘newer’ machines are supposed to cut out any unnecessary handling by a third person and thus preventing fraud. :)

Can I ask are you inserting the card or passing it over the counter? :unsure:

I don’t use shell stations so I don’t know if they have a different system but I do know tesco and even my small local garage no-longer handles my credit card

Hth

Cyb

Through the day when you can go inside the garage you put your card in to the chip and pin machine but after 7pm you past your card through the little night window and then check and sign the receipt

I used to work at a Shell garage (in fact, I've worked at that exact Shell garage in Prescot now I think about it!). We used to do this late at night sometimes because of the increased chance of someone stealing petrol.

I hesitate to say this, but we were told that we only needed to do it to people who looked like they 'might' steal, Boy racers etc. Not that I think you're capable of anything like that, but with a name like fiesta_lad I'm guessing you're young, so you're in the 'at risk' group.

Don't take it personally. That garage was horrendous for drive-offs while I was there.

But the thing that gets me ive been to that garage plenty of times most of the time she turn on the pumps i fill up then pay by my card and say i go in the following week paying by card she wants to keep hold of it so that is abit werid like. iam no boy racer i mean its not like i come flying into the garage at 70 miles a hour with all me neon lights going tunes blasting basecally its a normal looking fiesta mk5 lol.

See that the thing mark m.k thats why i won't leave my card with them because god knows what they are doing when your back is turned while filling up for i know they could be cloneing my card but i have spoken to Shell customer service today and they said that the cashier is not meant to keep hold of your card while you fill up.

I pass a Shell garage on my way to work, but it's only a small one run by some old fella who looks like he's been doing it for years so I'm pretty safe, used it many many times over the years. But if someone told me they wanted to keep any of my cards before I filled up I would soon tell em where to shove it, far too many story's of peoples accounts being done over.

Fair enough, sounds like many of you have had some bad experiences. I'm surprised the account stuff is still going on. When I worked there about 3 years ago, they had just had the whole scandal about the dodgy chip&pin machines, and they got all new ones in with various security measures to stop future problems. How they can steal your money is something else. Surely they'd need your PIN for that too...

fiesta_lad, if you've never had an issue there before then you must have caught the lady on a bad day. Maybe she'd been caught out earlier that day, so she was being extra careful? Who knows. Regarding what Shell Customer Services told you, that's probably actually right, they aren't supposed to be keeping your card. The correct procedure would be to take payment first, then you put the fuel in. Unfortunatly, the tills are not that clever, and you can't pre-set an amount of fuel to limit someone to. With cash, they would just take the money off you, and then hover their finger over the kill switch, and hit it when you reach your limit. If you're paying by card and not cash, the next best thing is to hold on to it, so when the amount of fuel is in the computer, the card can be charged accordingly. I'm not saying I agree with it, just giving you the perspective of the guy behind the counter.

And in terms of the door being locked overnight... I did a fair few night shifts in various garages. The door is locked at 11pm. IT DOES NOT OPEN until at least 6am. The one and only time I ever opened it was because the police turned up to warn me about a robbery further up the road and to lookout for a man with cuts on his face... :unsure:

Fair enough, sounds like many of you have had some bad experiences. I'm surprised the account stuff is still going on. When I worked there about 3 years ago, they had just had the whole scandal about the dodgy chip&pin machines, and they got all new ones in with various security measures to stop future problems. How they can steal your money is something else. Surely they'd need your PIN for that too...

fiesta_lad, if you've never had an issue there before then you must have caught the lady on a bad day. Maybe she'd been caught out earlier that day, so she was being extra careful? Who knows. Regarding what Shell Customer Services told you, that's probably actually right, they aren't supposed to be keeping your card. The correct procedure would be to take payment first, then you put the fuel in. Unfortunatly, the tills are not that clever, and you can't pre-set an amount of fuel to limit someone to. With cash, they would just take the money off you, and then hover their finger over the kill switch, and hit it when you reach your limit. If you're paying by card and not cash, the next best thing is to hold on to it, so when the amount of fuel is in the computer, the card can be charged accordingly. I'm not saying I agree with it, just giving you the perspective of the guy behind the counter.

And in terms of the door being locked overnight... I did a fair few night shifts in various garages. The door is locked at 11pm. IT DOES NOT OPEN until at least 6am. The one and only time I ever opened it was because the police turned up to warn me about a robbery further up the road and to lookout for a man with cuts on his face... :unsure:

The Shell in huyton there doors lock at 7pm beacuse of the area and everytime i go there to fill up theres always police there sitting off but she still asks to keep hold of my card even if the police are sitting there

As an Ex Shell franchise holder (11years ago) i wonder why they have changed the open door policy!

The Garage i had we would get a right ear bashing from the area rep if it was reported that we served from the night window>

On one of the better known estates south of the river you can imagine the quality of scrout that used to walk through the door! and the &#33;Removed&#33; wipes with more DB than BHP that would leave 500miles of rubber on the forecourt....

I say steer well clear of Shell most of the cashiers that i had seen over the 5 years i was with them were a thieving bunch of @**@%. and yes i do mean all of em!

Unfortunatly, the tills are not that clever, and you can't pre-set an amount of fuel to limit someone to.

I beg to differ> used to be common practice at my place

i say travel 5 mins up the road to the tesco - it's cheaper there anyway!!!

I find filling up at supermarkets u don't get good millage out of a full tank seems to go down quicker.

As an Ex shell franchise holder (11years ago) i wonder why they have changed the open door policy!

The Garage i had we would get a right ear bashing from the area rep if it was reported that we served from the night window>

On one of the better known estates south of the river you can imagine the quality of scrout that used to walk through the door! and the &#33;Removed&#33; wipes with more DB than BHP that would leave 500miles of rubber on the forecourt....

I say steer well clear of SHELL most of the cashiers that i had seen over the 5 years i was with them were a thieving bunch of @**@%. and yes i do mean all of em!

I beg to differ> used to be common practice at my place

I have found that all of shell's cashiers are rude and thick

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club