Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk4 Diesel, DPF questions

josephlindley

The engine management light came on in my 2008 2.0 diesel mondeo recently. The garage read the code and it is something to do with a blocked diesel particulate filter. I have put some forte DPF cleaner and re-generator fluid into the fuel, and will drive on the motorway at a high speed non-stop for 30 minutes (maybe up to an hour) to see if that will regenerate / clear out the DPF.

Would the engine management light automatically turn off if this were to resolve the problem? The garage told me it would, however from reading various forums it seems like lots of people include the cost of resetting the sensor in their repair bills... so, I'm confused as to whether this would actually be the case.

The next part of my question is, if that doesn't work there seems to be three other options:

- put in a combination of various cleaning fluid (sorry, not sure on the details of what they were, but I was told they would put them directly into the DPF), and hope for the best (garage told me that would be £140, but it was quite likely that it would be a very temporary fix)

- remove the DPF, open it up, manually clean it, then (they said) weld it back together (£250)

- put a new one on (somewhere between £300 and £400)

Interested to hear opinions on which is the most sensible option.

I came across this item - if this DPF seems so cheap, why would the whole job cost so much? http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?ID=NAAzADMANQAzADQANwA2ADQAdwBYAEwAbABJACcAWABcAE4AIwAhAFgANwA%3D&gclid=CLHVqsD26M0CFQkq0wodXDIHRg

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

May not be dpf blocked, could be sensor issues

By now the hoses to the pressure sensor have probably gone crispy and, maybe, even started to leak. If that is the case that's probably your problem. Could also be the wiring to the sensor.

The sensor itself shouldn't need resetting, but the ECU may do.

Sensor values only need resetting if pressure sensor replaced. Then dpf values are also reset. As above. Could be hoses deteriorated, don't just assume dpf is at fault

A second hand DPF is in the region of £60 to £150 off eBay

New is only a few quid more

Having had the same problem with my DPF, I went under the car today and found that one of the two vacuum hoses had perished and fallen off, I put a new hose on and all is good now........THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM AND FIX !  check your vacuum pipes before buying any snake oil or another DPF.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bladeage said:

Having had the same problem with my DPF, I went under the car today and found that one of the two vacuum hoses had perished and fallen off, I put a new hose on and all is good now........THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM AND FIX !  check your vacuum pipes before buying any snake oil or another DPF.

good to hear yours was a cheap fix. pity theres not been a responce from the guy who started the thread.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

good to hear yours was a cheap fix. pity theres not been a responce from the guy who started the thread.

yeah, always good to get feedback from the original post.

I was told to ask you about cam belt water pump change Ian, any idea how long it takes?

offical time is 3.3 hrs. 

• Like 1