Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brembo Brake pads

Patrico777

I would like to upgrade brakes as I feel these what I have are not that good they ok pads enough of them I just think I would like more sharp brakes would Brembo pads help ? Or do I need to upgrade discs is well to get improvement. 

Hi Brembo are good if your gonna upgrade your pads yes defo upgrade your discs

• Like 1

Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree or anything but don't you need Brembo calipers to fit Brembo brakes?

5 minutes ago, laumk7 said:

Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree or anything but don't you need brembo calipers to fit brembo brakes?

That what i mean if Brembo brake pads would improve ? Braking

6 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

That what i mean if brembo brake pads would improve ? Braking

You would be better doing both pads and discs but the standard Brembo discs and pads are just like most other company's e.g Pagid, mintex, Bosch and so on, if you want a definite improvement you will need to buy something like a big brake kit.

But their is nothing special about the standard Brembo equipment but the big brake kits are amazing.

• Like 1

Yeah as mentioned above Brembo discs and pads are just middle of the road/to decent brake disc/pads. Which will offer only marginal increase in braking performance assuming its cheap rubbish on it just now.

You would really need to upgrade to a bigger/more powerful braking system if that's what your after. Considering the car is an 2007 going by your profile info, then you've  surely got to weigh up the financial side of potentially throwing hundreds of pounds at the braking system on what is effectively an older fiesta. It certainly will make very little difference to figures when selling etc. Maybe better saving up for a st or something as opposed to throwing lots of money at the car?

If you want to do it crack on, but 99% will just stick with the standard brakes, which are fine for most.

Perhaps replace pads and dics with genuine ford or Brembo etc and get them serviced too and fluid changed etc, should be a slight improvement that way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dave_k said:

Yeah as mentioned above Brembo discs and pads are just middle of the road/to decent brake disc/pads. Which will offer only marginal increase in braking performance assuming its cheap rubbish on it just now.

You would really need to upgrade to a bigger/more powerful braking system if that's what your after. Considering the car is an 2007 going by your profile info, then you've  surely got to weigh up the financial side of potentially throwing hundreds of pounds at the braking system on what is effectively an older fiesta. It certainly will make very little difference to figures when selling etc. Maybe better saving up for a st or something as opposed to throwing lots of money at the car?

If you want to do it crack on, but 99% will just stick with the standard brakes, which are fine for most.

Perhaps replace pads and dics with genuine ford or brembo etc and get them serviced too and fluid changed etc, should be a slight improvement that way.

I could buy ST but did not want to because of mpg bought this fiesta for more than ST mk6 cost

8 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

You would be better doing both pads and discs but the standard Brembo discs and pads are just like most other company's e.g Pagid, mintex, bosch and so on, if you want a definite improvement you will need to buy something like a big brake kit.

But their is nothing special about the standard Brembo equipment but the big brake kits are amazing.

I will not bother then I was only thinking as Brembo are not that expenssive

10 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

I would like to upgrade brakes as I feel these what I have are not that good they ok pads enough of them I just think I would like more sharp brakes would brembo pads help ? Or do I need to upgrade discs is well to get improvement. 

Some EBC GreenStuff pads aswell as some cross drill grooves discs are a straight swap and increase the stopping performance, 

If fitting bigger brake calipers and discs this will have a negative effect on your engines performance and mpg as the additional weight contributes to the unsprung mass of the vehicle,

Much the same as fitting bigger rims,

6 hours ago, Lenny said:

Some EBC GreenStuff pads aswell as some cross drill grooves discs are a straight swap and increase the stopping performance, 

If fitting bigger brake calipers and discs this will have a negative effect on your engines performance and mpg as the additional weight contributes to the unsprung mass of the vehicle,

Much the same as fitting bigger rims,

I agree with Lenny on this, for a braking upgrade I would suggest:

• Uprated pads such as 'greenstuff', as mentioned Brembo pads are just an ok brand - don't be tempted by 'red stuff' as this only works on the track rather than the road
  • Grooved (not drilled) vented brake discs - drilled brake discs can crack between the holes if heat cycled too much, to stop this they need to be countersunk on both sides (impossible on a vented disc), I have had good results with black diamond discs before.
  • Uprated braided brake lines - this means that all of the braking force going into the calipers and not expanding the rubber hose
  • Fresh brake fluid + full brake bleed to ensure maximum braking performance
  • Master cylinder stopper (not sure if available on the Fiesta) but this usually bolts up to a shock tower to the back of the master cylinder to stop bulkhead flex

Basically you just need to make the stock calipers work better rather than needing to upgrade and the smaller calipers does indeed mean less unsprung weight, my OEM alloys are 15" and I wouldn't want to go any bigger due to the extra weight penalty, I would only go for a larger rim if needed to fit a larger brake setup.

On the opposite side, look to reduce overall car weight to then not need to accelerate or decelerate as much weight, although that's a whole different kettle of fish!

• Like 1

Seriously folks, I can understand people wanting to make their brakes LOOK more "mutts nuts" but for a road going older fiesta, a properly working braking system is fine.

How are the flexi hoses?

When was the fluid last changed?

Are all the braking components in good condition, lubricated etc?

For a track day car it's worth upgrading if you have deep pockets as others have said.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 3

I wouldn't bother with Brembo pads...ECP now owns Brembo which is why they push them...but quality has really dropped!  Also have to remember, just because it has their name on it, doesn't mean it's any good...I mean look at Ka's...they have the Ford name on them! :tongue: 

Personally I find the brakes are awful on the Mk6, didn't think the 1.4 ones were great last year, but even the ST ones aren't any good.  And unsprung weight is irrelevant when they fit those daft 17s that weigh about 3 tonnes each...

The pads aren't that old on mine and a decent make (can't remember which!) so going to try braided hoses and change the brake fluid seeing as that currently looks like morning pee lol, probably never been changed...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

I could buy ST but did not want to because of mpg bought this fiesta for more than ST mk6 cost

well a newer zetec s tdci then.

ECP owns Brembohttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brembo

http://corporate.eurocarparts.com/news-and-events/detail/1211 Brembo are only a supplier to ECP (one of a few actually) 

Regarding the quality dropping I don't know where you have seen that as I have just put Brembo disks and pads (from ECP) on my focus and I can't fault them. The disks are coated on the exposed outer surfaces (not the braking surface) to hold back corrosion which they are still doing after several weeks of use whereas my dads fiesta mk7 just had new disks/pads and the outer faces were starting to show surface rust after 4 days!

Hmm, not sure where I read it now, can't seem to find it again! 

I'm on a lot of forums though and seen quite a few issues with the Brembo's quality control, problems with warping and the pad friction material coming off, the ones they sell for 'normal' cars through ECP aren't the same quality as they sell for high end stuff.

The Focus ones might be fine but I'd rather stick to Pagid tbh.