Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traction control light and engine management light

ema_19787

Hi, I have a 57 plate 1.8tdci mondeo, today whilst car was still with just the ignition on my traction control light came on??! I started the car and it went off but now when the ignition is on the engine management light stays on until the car is started!?! Any ideas would be much appreciated 

You need to get a code reader on it, to find out what is throwing the error.

• Like 1

Do you know how much a garage will charge me to plug it in to get the codes?

Thank you

Hi your talking round £50 mark if it's to reset the code normally don't charge of no codes.

sounds like it's a sensor or some kind

• Like 2

you should buy a modified elm cable, and do the diagnostics yourself for less than £15

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ema_19787 said:

ignition is on the engine management light stays on until the car is started!?!

Like James says, getting your own diagnostics is strongly advised.

It sounds a bit of an odd fault, unlikely to be major yet, if the lights go out on starting.

It may take several trips to a garage to sort it, at £50 or more a time. You can monitor it yourself, then decide if & when to take it to a garage.

For more information, see my reply to

(Which also contains a link to James's guide, that is hiding in his signature)

Peter.

• Like 3

Hold on, just reread the post. If you put the key in electrics on and the eml oil light and battery light should stay on. When you start the car all three should go out.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Normally the only lights I have on with ignition on is oil, handbrake and battery lights!

Thank you everyone, will get the other half onto it the weekend! And see what codes (if any) are coming up! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ema_19787 said:

only lights I have on with ignition on is oil, handbrake and battery lights

Thinking about what James said a bit more, I am fairly sure that on my Focus, the Engine light normally stays on until the engine starts. And my manual says: "If it illuminates while the engine is running, it indicates a malfunction ..."

But the traction control light sounds a bit odd, and if the way the lights work has altered on your car, then it may indicate an impending or very intermittent problem.

The advice to get, and learn to use, a good diagnostic aid, remains sound.

The current situation may well be nothing of importance, but it will 99% certainly come in handy at some time!

Peter.

• Like 2

Eml should come on, as eml light indicates trouble with the car, or, engine not running.

The traction control light (or electronic stability programme ad it should be!) I have found is often linked to a problem reading from the injector system. Had it myself where a bad connection throws this light and limp mode.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

As for Peters comment of the tool coming in handy, I bought mine a few years ago used it more times than I care to think, saved me more callous from recovery companies than I thought and best still helped me not have to go to a garage as I fixed the issues myself a lot cheaper, or, called on a mobile mechanic to fix it a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

I have a 09 focus 1.8 tdci got engine bay and underbody wash last week and the engine management light & traction control light came on ... it shows up a load of codes but when the mechanic checked  everything is working as it should ... did anyone have a problem like this

13 hours ago, Boycey70 said:

I have a 09 focus 1.8 tdci got engine bay and underbody wash last week and the engine management light & traction control light came on ... it shows up a load of codes but when the mechanic checked  everything is working as it should

Water can cause all sorts of electrical problems. Engine bay connectors and wiring is all intended to be waterproof, but it rarely is 100% waterproof when new, let alone after 12 years. I suggest getting a good code reader like Forscan, and using it whenever a light comes on, and logging & clearing the codes. This may lead to a particular part of the car that has an intermittent malfunction, like a dodgy connector - all too common on modern cars.

The fault may go away after it all dries out, but damp and corrosion related problems are very likely to happen again, usually in damp conditions.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club