Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2.5 1,6 Zetec TIMING BELT

sonic113

Hi Stefan

I have been busy the last while so only getting back to this tread now.

So I have gathered up some new tools for the job including a new 1/2 socket set, breaker bar, Torque wrench and angular gauge. Upon some research the folloing is a list of "special tools" need to help with the job included are the OEM numbers.

OEM Number       Tool Name

205-072             Cam Sprocket Holding Wrench

303-1054           Tensioner Pully Locking Pin

303-376B           Alignment Plate

303 748             Crankshaft Locking Tool

Now laser do a kit named "Laser 4347 Timing Tool Set" which includes the

"303-376B  Alignment Plate" and "303-748 Crankshaft Locking Tool"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4347-Timing-Tool-Updated/dp/B0039U3QZE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473929946&sr=8-5&keywords=timing+tools

the only thing missing is the "303-1054 Tensioner Locking Pin", I cant seem to find this seperatly anywhere so can this be replaced with a small nail or something like that?

also the 205-072 Cam Sprocket Holding Wrench goes under "Laser Tools 2869" I saw one with a blue handle and one with a red but since they have the same codes I think they are exactly the same so I will get either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-2869-Camshaft-Sprocket-Holding-Tool-/191675366346?hash=item2ca0bdfbca:g:JIAAAOSwDNdV3x8z

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-TOOLS-2869-CAM-CAMSHAFT-SPROCKET-MULTI-USE-HOLDING-TOOL-/161955472423?hash=item25b54c6427:g:iMgAAOSwX~dWomAl

I had the flywheel locking kit listed as well "Laser 4275" but there is no mention of this in the Haynes manual so will it make the job a little easier or will it be a waste and also will it fit my focus (2009 1.6 zetec model).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4275-Flywheel-Locking-Tool/dp/B0039UEHKW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473933490&sr=8-4&keywords=laser+flywheel

I know you said before you have done a few belts on the focus and any input would be very much welcomed. I am trying now to get together this little bits and bobs before I get the Belt/water pump kit from ford in the next few weeks.

Many thanks in advanced,

• Like 1

Hey sonic,

You are definitely on the right lines with the tools. 

The laser locking kit 4347 is correct, you need one pin and the long bar from that kit. 

Dont worry about the tensioner pin, you won't need it anyway. Your new tensioner will come with one fitted that you remove as and when required.

The cam sprocket holding tool is also fine. 

Now the flywheel locking tool is not essential but it really does help, probably more so since you have never done one before. It takes an extra 10 mins to fit, you simply just remove the starter motor and put it in place. A little fettling is required to get it spot on. 

• Like 1

Thanks stefan

I will order those now and hopefully they arrive soon. I will get the flywheel locking tool as well as like you say it makes the job easier and it should be useful to have for future belt jobs so might as well get it now.

I will keep this thread updated as I progress.

Thanks again.

55 minutes ago, iantt said:

Yours is not the tivct 1.6?

Hi Ian

No mine is not the Tivct 1.6 its the Normal 1.6. I have ordered those tools so if you think of any others that I may need please do let me know.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, stef123 said:

a big coffee cup and pack of biscuits with 50% extra free lol 

I almost forgot the most important stuff there stefan lol! I think my local has them on offer so I may stock up lol! :laugh:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stefan

Been very busy with family stuff last little while I never had a chance to get back to this so hopefully get a chance soon, All the tools came and look well I have to say, Is the only thing I need now the Timing belt kit (with water pump)? Do I require any extra bolts or gaskets or anything that you can think of? I will have to ring my local ford parts department and get a price.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Has any one got access to the Autodata cd or a timing belt manual book?

Im looking for information on the focus mk2.5 1.6 zetec engine as guidance.

Thanks

What exactly would you like to know? I've got autodata books and Haynes pro. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stef123 said:

What exactly would you like to know? I've got autodata books and Haynes pro. 

Just any information you have on the actual proceadure itself. Any guides from both books you have if they cover my engine would be great. If i have something to have a good read through to familiarize myself with all steps required before i make a start. Also any tourq settings ect.

Thanks

have looked here? http://replace-timing-belt.com/

yours is listed somewhere ..did mine last year took more than the time they state but then i did in on my drive not in a fully equipped garage and i was in no hurry.. not a difficult task but some parts are tight to get at

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferretfloozy said:

have looked here? http://replace-timing-belt.com/

yours is listed somewhere ..did mine last year took more than the time they state but then i did in on my drive not in a fully equipped garage and i was in no hurry.. not a difficult task but some parts are tight to get at

Thanks for that link, I never heard of that site before. I had a little look through the ford section and came across this as it seems to be the only one for that might be for my engine the other one is the Ti-VCT version which mine is not. Can anyone have a look and let me know of this seems correct for engine and I take it all tourque settings would be the same.

http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-to-replace-timing-belt-on-ford-focus-1-6i-2007-2011_/

also Stefan any info you can get in your Autodata or Haynes pro would be great as I will keep it for future ref,

Thanks 

• Like 1

Your new timing belt kit should come with a fitting guide and torque settings. Usually there is sheet included with them.

That guide certainly looks about right. 

10 hours ago, stef123 said:

Sonic I've sent you an email with 2 attachments. 

Stefan

Thanks Mate, I had to red a new email as that old one was not working anymore so can you send me those attachments to the new one I have liked to my profile.

Thanks

6 hours ago, sonic113 said:

Stefan

Thanks Mate, I had to red a new email as that old one was not working anymore so can you send me those attachments to the new one I have liked to my profile.

Thanks

Will do 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stef123 said:

Will do 

Thanks again stefan.

:smile:

• 3 months later...
On 18/01/2017 at 2:55 PM, stef123 said:

Sonic I've sent you an email with 2 attachments. 

Hi stef123,

I wondered if you had any information that might help me too - i'm looking to do the same with my engine (I believe it's exactly the same as the op's).

I have read through the Ford workshop guide to doing it, but some steps seem to be gleaned over and not explained fully.

Thanks in advance buddy!

5 hours ago, Micro said:

Hi stef123,

I wondered if you had any information that might help me too - i'm looking to do the same with my engine (I believe it's exactly the same as the op's).

I have read through the Ford workshop guide to doing it, but some steps seem to be gleaned over and not explained fully.

Thanks in advance buddy!

What bits you stuck at? 

From my experience the crank bolt is really tight an impact gun would make light work of it.  I struggled with a breaker bar to be honest.  I would invest in a flywheel locking tool to ensure the crank doesn't move at all as you have to remove the crank pin before tightening the crank bolt otherwise you will be dropping the sump to remove the broken bits.  Not a difficult job but ensuring the timing doesn't move is very important.

On 2017-5-16 at 7:12 AM, stef123 said:

What bits you stuck at? 

Hi stef123,

Well, aside from the pictures, my copy of the Ford Workshop guide for doing it appears to be incomplete. I wondered if you had any more detailed information just in general!

6 hours ago, Micro said:

Hi stef123,

Well, aside from the pictures, my copy of the Ford Workshop guide for doing it appears to be incomplete. I wondered if you had any more detailed information just in general!

PM me your email address mate 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just an update.

well its been a very long time getting around to this but eventually I could the Job completed at 125,112 miles on the clock lol!

New water pump new timing belt 

new aux belts

New bolts

took me  2 evenings to get all finished (being i was outside and the weather was a complete dose lol) but I got there in the end and all is well at 150 miles of driving later.

Thanks to all for your input and stefan especially mate. You were a big help. Thanks 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 10:26 AM, sonic113 said:

Just an update.

well its been a very long time getting around to this but eventually I could the Job completed at 125,112 miles on the clock lol!

New water pump new timing belt 

new aux belts

New bolts

took me  2 evenings to get all finished (being i was outside and the weather was a complete dose lol) but I got there in the end and all is well at 150 miles of driving later.

Thanks to all for your input and stefan especially mate. You were a big help. Thanks 

Missed this post, but i'm glad it's done and out the way mate:thumbup:

• Thanks 1