Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deflation Detection system - question

Dee_82

hi all, just a quickie,

I was wondering, anyone know why ford didn't have this system enabled on the mk2? was it because it didn't work as expected so they disabled it?

I only ask because I have had it enabled for a while now and its worked perfectly, even picking up a slow puncture a few months back but ive noticed a problem when it rains

when ever we have monsoon levels of rain it flags as a loss of pressure.

I know this system uses some funky maths to work out a loss of pressure based on the ABS sensors but the wheels aren't spinning up or anything, theres no traction control lights on the IC and there is no actual loss of pressure.

anyone got any thoughts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

I only ask because I have had it enabled for a while now and its worked perfectly, even picking up a slow puncture a few months back but ive noticed a problem when it rains

When there is a lot of water on the road, there will be some slip between tyre and tarmac, even if not noticeable as spin. And due to road camber, it is likely to be more on the nearside. The rotation rate difference threshold for DDS will be much tighter than that for ABS, so it is likely to trigger it. That seems the most likely explanation to me, anyway.

Has anyone tried enabling it with ELMConfig on a Mk2?

I guess back before 2005, they either did not think of it, did not have time to develop it, or even ran out of memory or processing time in the ABS module.

• Like 1

Darren  I have been using this on my MK2 now for about a year and its been great. I  find it flags when pressure drops about 4-psi but I can confirm it does work as it picked up a slow puncture I had, so I got it fixed before I got stranded on roadside lol! also flags when I get a new tyre as they always over inflate it so I just readjust to my own pressures and reset via dash stalk and yeah good to go again :smile:

I don't know why it wasn't enabled from the start but I guess it was maybe offered as a £££ extra or something along those lines. But I'm glad I have it, Its a feature that is actually useful.

• Like 1

I activated it in mine nearly 2 years ago, Darren. I don't find it overly effective (has to drop to around 18psi from 30ish with my tyres) however it's never popped up in the wet weather...though I do like to test out the traction control so that ones usually flashing in the wet. :laugh: 

• Like 1

The Focus MK2 did not have a tyre deflation detection system. The DDS tyre deflation detection system was introduced on the Focus MK2.5 as an additional option which at that time was pretty expensive. because of this very few people ordered the DDS system on there new car. This is the reason why very few Focus MK2.5 (and also very few MK3) cars do not have the DDS system.

On the late Focus MK3 produced after about the 2nd half of 2014  the newer TPMS tyre deflation system became standard on the Focus MK3 because of new European regulations.

• Like 1

Why was it expensive?  All the stuff is already there, it just needed a box ticked on IDS!? :unsure: 

• Like 1

Yes indeed but Ford in the Netherlands (and also in most other European countries) charged about €250,- for the DDS system. 

Many options that can easily be activated are expensive if ordered from Ford on a new car.

• Like 2

ah, cool, so its not that it wasn't used because its shoddy in the rain, which it is.  its a little annoying as you cant clear the error until after you stop.

I do like it, its a very handy feature to have, pretty cleaver without all the expensive pressure sensors, if the rain keeps making this thing flag up as an error I might have to disable it

thanks for all the feedback

you some !Removed! tyres then? or mk2 more sensitive, my mk3 went through flooded surface water roads a few months ago and never came up with dds fault, brought up the traction control/esp though as i slid on water and hailstones combo.

• Like 1

Dunno, tyres are new, ish on 3 of the 4, 1000 miles or so on the front , Goodyears, the rears are a little less straight forward, when I got the car the rear NS was brand new POS unnamed thing, the rear OS was fooked about 10k ago so put a Dunlop on it, but at the time I couldn't justify replacing other one as it was virtually new still, 6mm of tread left, that was a while ago and now both on the rear are about the same level of tread, approx 5mm, which now you mention it is a little odd on a tyre that's done 47k.

ive still got 1 original michelin on the rear of my car, 3mm left, thats done 44k. lol

• Like 1

Yeah it's only Darrens that's dodgy lol, not a Mk2 thing, as I say mine doesn't come up when I'm hitting hidden puddles at 70 on the A14 or wading through the 'river' on the single track lane to my mates house. :laugh: 

I retrofitted the DDS tyre deflation detection system on my previous 2005 Focus MK2 and my current 2013 Focus MK3 also has the DDS system. On both card the system works very accurate without any problems. Even a relative small loss of tyre pressure is detected by the system.

• Like 2

typical, must just be mine lol, it would be helpful if there was a way of knowing which one it was having issues with.  To be fair, puddles are fine, even driving though great lakes, albeit much slower, it seems to be when its raining so hard its like someone dropped a 100 gallon container of water on the car, which we get a lot of in Scotland AND driving more than 30mph.

4 hours ago, JW1982 said:

I retrofitted the DDS tyre deflation detection system on my previous 2005 Focus MK2

Did that need a new ABS unit, or major software upgrade? I would be interested to hear more about that.

If you have already described it, do you have a link? I find the search engine on this site is almost useless!

(I usually just use Google, but it can be tricky to limit it, and a bit hit & miss)

Wilco here is our very own guru when it comes to mods, but I'm not sure he wrote a guide for that one.  IIRC it sounded like it was straight forward but requires some parts to be swapped out.

15 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

typical, must just be mine lol, it would be helpful if there was a way of knowing which one it was having issues with.  To be fair, puddles are fine, even driving though great lakes, albeit much slower, it seems to be when its raining so hard its like someone dropped a 100 gallon container of water on the car, which we get a lot of in Scotland AND driving more than 30mph.

Darren I haven't experienced the DDS coming on in wet no matter how hard I drive or How sharp I throw the car in corners or even large puddles or floods of water, I have been testing this out to see of I can get it to trigger but the only things Im getting in the esp/transaction control light flashing on/off. 

Could it be your psi maybe that is too high and its causing the abs to trigger the dds under those wet conditions? I would try lowering it a little and test that and when I reset the tyre pressures via stalk I make sure to be stationary with handbrake on, not sure if it makes a difference but sometimes  things need the handbrake on to safely set certain things. I cant remember of top of my head what but I think functions like the seat belt chime, disabling the esp via stalk ect I read that in a manual and out of my OCD Habits lol! :smile: I just do it when I reset anything via stalk.

• 5 years later...
On 7/21/2016 at 4:25 AM, Dee_82 said:

hi all, just a quickie,

I was wondering, anyone know why ford didn't have this system enabled on the mk2? was it because it didn't work as expected so they disabled it?

I know this system uses some funky maths to work out a loss of pressure based on the ABS sensors but the wheels aren't spinning up or anything, theres no traction control lights on the IC and there is no actual loss of pressure.

anyone got any thoughts

HI could you please show me how enable DDS on my ford focus mk2.5 thank you 

1 hour ago, lualbert said:

HI could you please show me how enable DDS on my ford focus mk2.5 thank you 

I very much doubt if you are going to get an answer to a 5 year old post. The OP has been away since July 2020.

Have you downloaded ForScan software ? use a laptop with a ELM327 lead

It's ELMConfig you'll need for this unless Forscan has improved for the Mk2 since.  

Same lead though.

• Like 1