Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 diesel

Dazza9t9

Good evening all,

I am brand new to the forum and I am desperate for some help and advice on the focus 1.6 diesel 

I recently sold my stunning E46 330d, to buy a dedicated "toy car", Which I bought a Mx5, with views of turboing it.

that leaves me looking for a commuter. This is where the focus comes in. I have always wanted a focus since they were first released, albeit one baring the badge " RS" and certainly not "1.6". The focus seems ideal for my young family

I am  trying to keep within the £30 tax brackets so there was only one choice for me, so I started looking and reading. I have found a hand full of focus that I am interested in, all between 2007 and 2009

but the more I read the more I hear about DPF failure and turbo failure, the problem appears to be so common and so expensive.

the cars I am looking at range between 65k and 85k in the clock, all with full service history (not seen the history in person)

can this engine be so bad when it's used in so many different cars..?

is is the problem as bad as I read? Does the DPF need changing every 72k miles, is there any models/ years that did not have the DFP

any information and advice on these issues would be brilliant 

i drive 27 miles each way to work, free flowing roads, A and B roads but not much stopping and starting

Hi there Welcome 

as long as you get car that's been looked after and had services you won't have an issue tbh. The focus is a good solid engine I have the 1.8 tdci had no issues.

i read some posts on here regarding dpf It is a common problem but if you only doing short trips everyday could cause issue with it after time and yes supposed to change dpf round 72k-75k 

tbh I feel you go out there get one with upto date service ect you will be ok 

the DPF puts it in that 30 quid bracket, it will fill up regardless of how you drive, at the age your looking at with those kinda miles, you will run in to that problem sooner rather than later, be prepared to have it "fixed" or replaced asap.  if I were you id look at the 2008+ focus, several small changes were made that will help prolong the car but if its getting its oil changed every 6k then itll probably be ok. the scary turbo stories are mostly older ones that haven't been looked after..

Nothing wrong with the engine if looke after, great mileage, good power, its a little noisy and needs lots of TLC but the engine is fine.  The car is good, just a little noisy all around, wind, rattles, creeks.

• Like 1

I have a 2010 2.0 TDCi with 40k on the clock, I drive around 25 miles a day in it through town and A roads. It drives like a dream and I've had no problems yet!! It's a super engine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant thank you for all the advice. 

How much are we talking to have the dpf replaced?

Lol, for a proper one? Well over a grand I think, the aftermarket DPFs are crap. you might have luck cleaning it but due to the shape I think that's neverr going to be perfect 

• Like 1

By chance through my job I ended up in a ford garage today and got chatting to one of the mechanics.

he said my driving roads / distances should see the dpf running fine

he said the dpf have come down in price to around £500 mark

for the can? if so then add 3 hours labour, call it 200 quid, just make sure that the DPF is legit, OE. its also worth remembering that from 2008/9 the DPFs were ceramic which will not block quite so easily.  the driving your doing will be fine, I'm about the same for myself but remember that even if you drive it perfectly cooking off the soot as and when it accumulates, it will still fill up with ash eventually

• Like 1

Yeah that's what he said but said when I go see one ring him and he will give me a detailed price

i feel a little more at ease tbh

its actually hard to find an alternative without the same engine 

The problem is, the 2008 focus is of that age where everyone an their aunty is getting rid of them, a lot of people were duped in to buying the 1.6tdci lured in by the promise of cheap tax, no one was really told that most of those owner didn't drive the car long enough to keep them good so it think that the market is now flooded with screwed 1.6 tdcis.  or at least that's what I fear is happening.

I "fixed" my DPF and haven't looked back, shes a lovely engine, albeit noisy! but given the choice again, id go for a 1.8 or 2l TDCI, sod the tax :)

Next engine will be an ecoboost tho ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

The problem is, the 2008 focus is of that age where everyone an their aunty is getting rid of them, a lot of people were duped in to buying the 1.6tdci lured in by the promise of cheap tax, no one was really told that most of those owner didn't drive the car long enough to keep them good so it think that the market is now flooded with screwed 1.6 tdcis.  or at least that's what I fear is happening.

I "fixed" my DPF and haven't looked back, shes a lovely engine, albeit noisy! but given the choice again, id go for a 1.8 or 2l TDCI, sod the tax :)

Next engine will be an ecoboost tho ;)

Doesn't the 2 L tdci have a dpf as well?  How come we hear of far less trouble with that engine compared to the 1.6 tdci.  Sorry for butting in just always wondered about this.  I wish I got the 1.8 tdci instead myself.  

And does the 1.8 not have dpf? If so won't that suffer the same problems 

Yeah the 1.8 tdci does not have a dpf as its an old engine whereas when the 1.6/2 tdci were built new Eu standards were brought in to reduce smoke emissions hence why both these engines have a dpf.  The lower powered 1.6 90 ps does not have a dpf though, not sure why.  The 1.6tdci and 2 tdci are French built engines with Ford parts added.  

The 1.8 doesn't have a DPF, it's an archaic engine that Ford managed to hold onto as long as they could, same with that awful 1.25 in the Fiesta...

The 90bhp Focus does have a DPF from mid 2009ish, earlier ones don't.

The 2.0 does have a DPF but no-one seems to know why they don't fail as often.  Personally I think it's due to the type of people that buy them...likely to be driven harder and on long journeys compared to the 1.6 which a lot of people bought as town runarounds, doesn't really matter how you drive it now, what matters is that you don't buy one that was owned by an old lady doing under 3000 miles a year like I did. :rolleyes: 

• Like 4

1.8 tdci is reliable round town and long journey for fuel I love mine can't fault it had no issues with mine.

think I just struck lucky n got a good car most common thing to go on the 1.8 is the 90 degree turbo hose splitting but I had this issue once n put a blue silicone one on from eBay which was cheaper n original part n will last longer.

probs won't need to replace again but even if did can get for bout £25-£30 and fit yourself in 5mins.

So a pre 2009 1.6

or a 1.8 diesel should see more problem free motoring?

in theory 

Not really, the 1.8s like to break injectors, EGRs and DMFs, but of course there are excpetions if you can find a good one as above!

Wouldn't bother with the 90bhp 1.6 either, the 110bhp 1.6 is slow enough in a heavy Focus!

The 2.0 is the one to go for really, would be the one I'd chose over the 1.6 I own any day lol!

• Like 2

did they ever make a 2.2? or was that cmax I'm thinking of?

Got a 90 1.6tdci... no dpf, and it's not bad... it feels more nippy to me than 'fast'.... if that makes sense...

Obviously bigger/faster could be more fun... but mine is a nice car and fun for what it is....

I've got the 55 plate 1.6 Zetec climate petrol,goes like a dream,sails up the motorway with ease purring along.I will always stick with petrol as I'm not doing the work/miles.

its the weight of the mk2 that goes against the 90, and the 1.6 petrol for that matter, shes a heavy lady with a fat ar$e.  the 1.6TDCI with a bit of....tweaking  is pretty nice

It was an Smax, 2.2l TDCI 170HP

Stick to the 2.0 TDCI, I'd never buy a diesel smaller than 2.0, mines a proper train. Had it remapped to 184bhp and is an automatic but it goes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it depends what you've had before/what you're used to as to how much power is necessary!

• Like 2

I have just sold a e46 330d with 250bhp

however I am not trying to replace this, I am simply after a nice commuter with the least chance of going wrong or breaking. I have a project car already hence me wanting to keep the costs to a minimum on the commuter 

i pretty much had decided on the 1.6 diesel (I had seen a lovely 2009 with 70k and fsh) purely to keep the tax low. But that's looking like a false economy if I end up replacing the dpf. I am not sure if the 1.8 is going to be a better option simply because it has not dpf.

thank you all for your help and advice keep it coming is valuable stuff 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club