Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 1.8TDCi Rough Idle on Hill

starbuck88

Hi All,

Strange one this, when the car is level, it sits and idles fine.

When you are either facing up or down hill, the car idles very rough and shakes the whole car.

Any idea where I can start?

It's been doing it since I got it, I had it off a friend as it needed a whole new DMF, Clutch and Slave Cylinder. So I had that done and just this past week it's also started wooing when the turbo kicks in and chatters/flutters when you lift off. Am hoping it's a split hose. I've replaced the common one into the EGR housing but haven't been able to check all the others yet.

Should also so, I've bought 2 blanking plates to do both ends of the EGR to block it off completely.

Thank You :)

kinda sounds like something round the intake area, when a look aitbox lid of to see what was like being off it made that noise you describing. Take a look at the 90 degress pipe going into the egr value sounds like its split, my split and inside car sounded like fans where turned up and down when accelerating 

35 minutes ago, ajzetecs said:

kinda sounds like something round the intake area, when a look aitbox lid of to see what was like being off it made that noise you describing. Take a look at the 90 degress pipe going into the egr value sounds like its split, my split and inside car sounded like fans where turned up and down when accelerating 

Hi,

Thank you.

I have already replaced that 90 Degree Pipe as I saw it mentioned so much. I'll have to have a good hunt around the other pipes etc.

Any idea on the car shaking when on hills?

try things like get fuel filter changed and have a test on your injectors, have you blanked egr of, it may help, mine is better without it as egr been deletes throu ecu, also change air filer might be clogged up too much + stick some fuel system cleaner, usally cheaper things are the ideal fix

11 hours ago, starbuck88 said:

When you are either facing up or down hill, the car idles very rough and shakes the whole car.

Engine Mount(s) ??

11 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Engine Mount(s) ??

good possibility peter, duno if its just mine but when turning engine of shake a bit 

34 minutes ago, ajzetecs said:

when turning engine of shake a bit 

I had a look at my top mount a few days ago, the rubber was visibly split, with oil seeming to come out of it. As yet there are no symptoms, but I will probably need to change it soon. The bottom one is harder to see, but probably the same. They seem to be a fluid filled rubber system, presumably to absorb vibration while damping out resonances.

The weight of the engine & stiffness of the mounts makes it hard to test them. But if the engine is moving about at certain rpm, or at switch off / on, they have to be suspect.

Shaking on turn off could have been DMF related, but you have changed that, I see.

There are three mountings, I believe: One near the coolant reservoir, one under the battery, and a torque link underneath the engine. They are not horribly expensive, nor too difficult to change. ("3 spanners" in Haynes, for what that is worth!)

Various other faults could cause shaking or unsteady/rough firing, the the slope dependence suggests mounts to me.

Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I did notice the top mount on the left which seems to be the most visible on has oily stuff on it and you can rock the engine back and forward quite a bit using 2 fingers.

Going to see if I can get this wooing and turbo flutter nailed down this weekend, I hope it's not the turbo on its way out.

3 hours ago, starbuck88 said:

you can rock the engine back and forward quite a bit using 2 fingers.

My engine is still rock solid, can't budge it an iota! (yet!)

I think I would get the mounts sorted first. Torque fluctuations could do odd things to the engine management system.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club