Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Suspension Dilema Focus 08

TomRickers

Hi guys, wonder if I can pick some people's brains on here.

My 2008 Focus 1.8tdci has had some suspension issues recently. At first it was the front passenger suspension creaking/knocking when going over bumps, I had this problem diagnosed as a suspension bearing and had this replaced along with the top mount whilst the job was being done.

Problem solved, the noise which I had been hearing has gone away... For about a week, but has now been replaced with a new noise...

This time it is a loud bang when I go over a bump with any kind of speed or hit a pot hole. I was told when having the other work done that my shock absorber seemed like it was towards the end of its life (car has 140000 miles) and this makes me think that perhaps the suspension is 'bottoming out'? Or could the new noise relate to the previous work not being done properly?

Very annoying scenario as I wish I could go back to the old problem now as this new 'bang' is a lot worse that the old knocking kind of noise.

On a side note, I was planning on lowering the car using the Eibach springs and keeping the original shocks, but now this one has failed (possibly) would I be better getting a coilover kit? or replace just the 1 worn shock with an OEM part and then get the springs like I planned? 

Thanks folks.

It is always recommended that you should replace both shockers  at the same time.

3 hours ago, eddie eastwood said:

It is always recommended that you should replace both shockers  at the same time.

I'd definitely want to have the job done properly and do both at the same time, will have to price it all up.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced shock, still got the noise... Any idea folks? 

New here and me spelling and gramma crap due to dyslexia and adhd , the prob is that as soon as u mess with suspension in any way it throws !Removed! out. Mine needs shocks so I'll be saving and do everything at once on me drive even me rear trailing arm bushes, shudder , if u change one piece the older bits are under a newer stress I worked in garages most of life and I lost count of telling people that if I start changing things other thing will need doing , it could be ya top shock mounts or ya springs changing things could have upset ya lower arms or ya link bars , or like u said the garage mite have messed up in some way, what ever u do make sure u always do pairs and not the fruit type hey, both shocks both mounts both arms both links both springs haha I like the both word. Oi good luck do the work ya self save a fortune .

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:10 PM, Oldschool said:

New here and me spelling and gramma crap due to dyslexia and adhd , the prob is that as soon as u mess with suspension in any way it throws !Removed! out. Mine needs shocks so I'll be saving and do everything at once on me drive even me rear trailing arm bushes, shudder , if u change one piece the older bits are under a newer stress I worked in garages most of life and I lost count of telling people that if I start changing things other thing will need doing , it could be ya top shock mounts or ya springs changing things could have upset ya lower arms or ya link bars , or like u said the garage mite have messed up in some way, what ever u do make sure u always do pairs and not the fruit type hey, both shocks both mounts both arms both links both springs haha I like the both word. Oi good luck do the work ya self save a fortune .

Hey there mate. Yea I wish I could change parts in pairs but cant really afford it at the moments. I had a look under car and it seams the engine drip tray had come loose aswell as the inner wheel arch. Bolds had fell out. Tightened it up and the noise is not as bad but still get a slight knock from the passenger side only.

I also changed the suspension top mount and bearings aswell as the shock.

Also noticed my front tyres were quite low on tread so I think a new set of tyres will further improve any noises I have.

Thanks for your advice mate :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club