Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed Tyres Now Skidding

Dave_TDCI

Hi lads, just looking for a bit of advice.

The two front tyres on the girlfriends Focus were pretty worn so I decided to change them at the weekend. Couldn't get over how bad they were actually one was practically bald. The tyre depot showed me two partly worn tyres which I had a look at, 2x Continental ContiContact tyres that seemed almost new, so I got them to fit them.

Yesterday was a very wet day and on three seperate occasions when driving the car skidded going around corners, one very bad incident where I completely lost control and the car went sideways. It seems dangerous to drive in the rain now.

Can anyone explain why this would start happening? Continental are supossedly a top brand and the condition of the tyres seems very good. Even with the two pratically bald tyres I changed this never happened in the rain. And the two back tyres are in good condition.

On one tyre there seems to be a sticker which didnt peel off properly and has fragmented, could this be causing it?

Thanks

Have you checked the tyre pressures since?  They are usually over-inflated when fitting to pop the bead on.  They should let some air out but don't always.

Also, you sure they're not 'EcoContact' tyres?  They will be less grippy, eco tyres are a stupid idea lol.

If they are new they might have some residue of the release compound on them.

Tyres do need to bed in a little to be at their optimum grip.

Also as Tom says, check pressures, I nearly always find them too high.

He says they were part worn's Alex, otherwise I would agree, new tyres do need running in.

It depends how worn they are though.

If you can still see the coloured lines going round the tread, then they aren't worn in enough yet.

A lot of the modern tyres have an almost slick strip down the centre, so if it is just the pressure being too high, that will definitely have an effect.

I have read of people being given cars back with 40-50PSI in the tyres where the fitter forgot to let the air back out after popping the tyre on.

Yeah they are partly worn, and the coloured lines have worn off.

I checked the tyres straight after I got them fitted, they were quite high around 38PSI so I changed them to 30 as they are only 15'' 195/65's. So tyre pressure shouldn't of been in issue yesterday.

Im baffled to be honest, how could Continental with good thread have less grip than a practically bald tyre in the rain?

I want to try get it sorted as I'm not happy with the missus driving around with a car that has no grip on the road.

What exact model are they?

Did you check the manufacturing date?

Is the rubber tread hard ? Old tyres can go hard over time and hard rubber is lousy in the wet.

Talking from personal experience I'll never buy part worn tyres ever again! Got myself two mint Pirelli tyres fitted to our old Citroen and a month later on one of the tyres split across the tread pattern, I didn't go back the garage which had sold me the part worn tyres and went to buy two brand new ones, tyre fitter was shocked at my tyre and on closer inspection that tyre has sustained an heavy impact and could only be seen from the inside as the braiding/cord had been ruptured by an impact.

Forget the fact they're Continental and check the actual model as Alex says.  Ford make a Ka for example... :tongue: 

Also, are they directional tyres fitted the wrong way?  Made that mistake in the dark once myself lol.

EcoContact says it all :(

Plus it is a 3 which is old now.

Have you checked the manufacturing date? They might be quite old and have hardened up too.

• Like 1

Lol, I was just typing exactly the same reply as Alex! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Not sure on manufacturing date, it's p*ssing rain here at the moment so I'll try get out and check in a few :laugh:

Am I right in thinking that EcoContact are up as far as 5 now?...So 3 would be fairly old.

Are the EcoContact that bad in the wet?...I thought I was doing great getting two Continental that seemed to have loads of thread:sad:

Yeah they're up to 5 now but there was no 4.  And yes, eco tyres really are that bad in the wet unfortunately, but hey if it saves some fuel who cares if you die every time it rains. :rolleyes::lol: 

Rain stopped so went out and had a look for the manufacture dates. There is a small oval with 1506 and 1110 on the two tyres. Am i right in guessing that means the 15th week of 2006 and 11th of 2010 was production?

I think I'll be taking a trip back looking for different tyres. Can't get over how bad they are, actually worse in the wet than completely bald tyres, EcoContact...what a load of sh*t.

• Like 1

A 10 year old "eco" tyre definitely will not be good for grip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave_TDCI said:

Rain stopped so went out and had a look for the manufacture dates.

Have you got Eco soles on your shoes!? :laugh:

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you got Eco soles on your shoes!? :laugh:

No but they are partly worn just like my tyres so I'm trying to take it handy :laugh:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave_TDCI said:

No but they are partly worn just like my tyres so I'm trying to take it handy :laugh:

Could you get in contact with the garage that fitted them - I am sure the tyres are past their best and now aren't really suitable or safe for the road - although better than the 3 points PER BALD TYRE that the car had originally.

There should be a sticker in one of the doors with the correct pressures front and back so I would suggest checking the tyre pressures, on my Fiesta they are 29psi on the front and 26psi on the rear - the reduced rear pressures do help with handling in a FWD car.

Contacted the garage that fitted them. Told them they were terrible in the rain so therefore weren't suitable. They said they have a shipment coming in tomorrow and that I can exchange them for two that should be better in the rain. Was expecting an argument so pleased enough with their response.

Hopefully I'll survive in the wet until then :laugh:

Thanks all for your advice and help :wink3:

tyres that are terrible in the rain ??

then they are not suitable for sale in the UK period lol

maybe ok in California though:-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club