Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door electrical connector

bsirrell

Hi,

My Left front door speaker isn't working.  I believe the problem is with the connector at the door.  However i can't get this out to inspect the connections behind it on the car side (i.e. not the door)  

Can anyone tell me how to get this connector out.

I can see behind it if i get my torch right in behind the glove compartment and  i think i can see a broken lead there.

I have tried wiring the left speaker direct running an additional wire through,  everything worked ok.  However a day later the alternator failed. I pulled everything out and removed it to see if the initial warning light was from the electrical work i have added.  So now i am back to square one with no left speaker.  My mechanic said the electrics are so complicated these days any extra wiring (perhaps even on the stereo)  could have thrown up a fault.  
Is this true? Will i do any harm doing a direct wire to this speaker??   

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Brett

You can get the connector out from the door side. However if you want to get to the wiring from the bodyside connector you are for a bit of a struggle.

Open door

Remove checkstrap from the A pillar and put some tape in the hinge where it will go metal to metal.. This will save the paint.

Peel the rubber boot off the connector in the door opening.

You then have to find the 4 release levers on the white connector half that you can see. 2 at the top at approx 10 and 2 o'clock and the second 2 at 4 and 8 approx.

You can then pull the connector assembly out of the A pillar.

Release the catch on the connector to split into 2 halves.

Take the Glove box assembly out - google for a youtube video.

You can then pull the body connector back out of the A pillar cavity to inspect / repair the wiring.

BTW there are enough spare spaces in the connector halves to drill out and actually get 2 sets of much heavier speaker wiring through.

This is not a rush job. Allow a whole day to do this without feeling pressured.

I have done this to get heavy duty wiring through the connector and then totally hidden in the convoluted boot back into the door on  a 2015 ST.

Gerry

• Like 1