Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trolly jack adapter

mikeyd1

Hi guys my mk3.5 focus doesnt seem to have a decent place to jack from apart from the sills but i just do want to chip paint or bend the sill when lifting. I bought a small low pro trolly jack and bought this adapter, i just wanted to know what do u guys use if anything and has anyone damage there car in the process. Thanks in advance

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't have a Focus but I made one myself out of a block of wood; just made a slit in it to accommodate the sill 'lip' on the underside.

Do you have a scissor jack in the boot? Like your adaptor that has a slit cutaway to locate the jack head. The actual weight-bearing is done through the top flat parts and not the slit otherwise you'd bend the 'lip' thing on the sill underside (left-hand side of the second image below). Make sure that the slit is deep enough to accommodate it!

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chemfusion said:

I don't have a Focus but I made one myself out of a block of wood; just made a slit in it to accommodate the sill 'lip' on the underside.

Do you have a scissor jack in the boot? Like your adaptor that has a slit cutaway to locate the jack head. The actual weight-bearing is done through the top flat parts and not the slit otherwise you'd bend the 'lip' thing on the sill underside (left-hand side of the second image below). Make sure that the slit is deep enough to accommodate it!

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

Ok i get it so ill take the jack out the boot and measure how deep it is then cut out a bit more of that adapter i bought

i use a hockey puck with a slot cut in it:smile:

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, dezwez said:

i use a hockey puck with a slot cut in it:smile:

For the mk3 a hicky puc is to big the side skirt in the way and what trolly jack u use the big ones or the 2 tone ones??

On my MK2.5 I just use s small wood off cut between the jack and where it meets the car, I have always used wood off cuts as they don't damage anything underneath and kind of absorb the lift, I never thought of cutting a slot in it though I might make a few up and cut slots in them just for future use. Nothing as bad as the trolley jack metal cup wrecking the underside when your doing work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

measure how deep it is then cut out a bit more of that adapter i bought

If you deepen the slot you may find that it weakens it so it splits under load. You'd be safer adding a couple of pieces of wood or plastic to the top.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjt said:

If you deepen the slot you may find that it weakens it so it splits under load. You'd be safer adding a couple of pieces of wood or plastic to the top.

Hi mate what size bit of wood would u recomend i have a trolly jack with small cup. Pics would be good as im a complete novice at this sort of stuff. Im still learning lol

25 minutes ago, dezwez said:

Ive looked at them but on the mk3 the side skirt is in the way so i need a smaller one. Can i ask what jack u use large or small one?

large one machine marts 

• Like 1

I've tried making slotted pads from wood but find they tend to split along the grain even though I've cut the slot at right-angles to it. I ended up making this one from a bit of galvanised trunking after measuring up the head of the scissor jack. I only have very basic tools - saw, hammer, drill, files & vice but managed to get it fairly close to the  correct size. I cut the circular pad using a holesaw.

Jack_adaptor.jpg

• Like 3

So before i start cutting will my adapter work then as ive already got it??? Or u do u guys think slot is to small its about 10mm deep. Thanks

image.jpeg

easiest way woukd have been to buy a trolley jack with a rubber cup

• Like 3

I use a plain hockey puck on my 3-tonne trolley jack and a homemade pad comprising of several circles of 8mm rubber sheet glued together on my older 2-tonne jack.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GMX said:

I use a plain hockey puck on my 3-tonne trolley jack and a homemade pad comprising of several circles of 8mm rubber sheet glued together on my older 2-tonne jack.

Any pics?

Quick update i have now a large one for when i have to go back street tyre place what uses a large trolly jack, i hat to modify it cause the mk3 Has the side skirt in the way and i also got some tiny ones what sit in small jack but seem quite low so no point putting a grove in it dont no if these will be any good lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club