Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 TDCi ( Puma engine ) catastrophic piston issue

MONDEO TXS 2.2

A very rare question from me & I'm hoping @iantt or any other knowledgeable person may know the facts of the matter.

The issue is an overfuelling problem on the venerable Ford Puma 2.2 TDCi engine, as fitted to millions of Mondeos, Transits, Jaguars & Land Rovers etc, the overfuelling causes one or more pistons to become holed with the obvious consequences.

1 - Apparently there was a recall - I've never heard of it, so can someone confirm or deny please, with any details.

2 - Apparently there was a software update of the PCM / ECU which cures the issue - can someone confirm or deny please, with any details

3 - Any other relevant info regarding build dates etc are also much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

1,yes

2,yes

3, will see what i can find out later

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

1,yes

2,yes

3, will see what i can find out later

Thanks Ian :smile:

Do you have any outstanding actions showing on Etis and have Ford been servicing the car?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Do you have any outstanding actions showing on Etis and have Ford been servicing the car?

Hi Alex, the problem has been reported on a Motorhome forum I frequent & although I'm not personally suffering this issue, this engine is in my Motorhome, which although badged as a Peugeot is actually built by a company called Sevel in Italy & has a combination of a Peugeot cab & MWB chassis, the Ford Puma 2.2 TDCi engine & then when shipped to the U.K. an accommodation '' box '' is added to the base vehicle by whoever makes & markets the Motorhome - confusing I know ! :ohmy:

The Ford Puma 2.2 engine is fitted to Peugeot,& Citroen badged Motorhomes.

As it isn't a Ford vehicle it doesn't come up on Etis & although the service history is complete, because it's not a Ford or indeed a Peugeot it's been serviced by the supplying Motorhome dealer in the past, I bought it 2nd hand with only 6300 miles on the clock @ 5.5 years old & I suspect due to the very low mileage only the oil & filter have been changed in the last 2 years services but have no evidence of this recall etc, hence my concern.

As you may recall I owned a Mondeo ST TDCi with the same engine from 2006 - 2014 & never had a recall notice - although that was serviced by Ford dealers.

I may try entering the VIN into Etis & see what happens . . & Ian is having a look for me. :smile:

Approx what age do you think it is, reg date could be quite a while after build date? 

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

Approx what age do you think it is, reg date could be quite a while after build date? 

The vehicle in question is 2007 vintage, so possibly a 2006 / 7 engine  ?

Mine is September 2010 ( 60 plate ), so possibly a 2009 / 10 engine ?

There was a camper van specific pcm uodate, inc your age and earlier one. , but wether you try a ford dealer or peugeot I dont know, depends on whose software is running the vehicle.

• Like 1

If it's a Peugeot cab, I'd expect it to need Peugeot software updates.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iantt said:

There was a camper van specific pcm uodate, inc your age and earlier one. , but wether you try a ford dealer or peugeot I dont know, depends on whose software is running the vehicle.

Thanks Ian, do you have a reference for it at all ?

Thankfully my local Ford dealer is also a Peugeot dealer & has a Motorhome hire fleet, so it's having it's next service there :smile:

12 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If it's a Peugeot cab, I'd expect it to need Peugeot software updates.

Thanks Alex.

I agree with you.

You might need to specifically ask them to check.

I don't know if Peugeot has the same system Ford do ford "recall" type software  updates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

You might need to specifically ask them to check.

I don't know if Peugeot has the same system Ford do ford "recall" type software  updates.

Yes, I'll most certainly be asking / insisting ! & hopefully Ian will come up with a recall date at least as far as Ford are concerned.

If its a peugeot pcm running the enginr then it probably is ok , unless they use the same parameters as ford, its not recall specific update, but an update to the latest version. There is no indication of what is altered and why as such.

• Like 1

I know a fews years back that peugeot cars had pcm updates available nearly every month due to all sorts of issues. Lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iantt said:

If its a peugeot pcm running the enginr then it probably is ok , unless they use the same parameters as ford, its not recall specific update, but an update to the latest version. There is no indication of what is altered and why as such.

O.K. Thanks Ian, does update 3S / 548 mean anything to you / this issue ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club