Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford ALLOY WHEEL NUTS

sonic113

The chrome caps on most of my wheels now are wrecked and need replacing as it doesn't help the look of the wheel lol!

Been looking around online and came across these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDEN-MILE®-Replacement-Locking-Fiesta/dp/B01IREUNDY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1471100688&sr=8-7&keywords=ford+focus+alloy+wheel+nuts

not sure of they would fit but would these be decent and look alright or has anyone got any suggestions I don't wanna be spending a complete fortune as I think ford where charging around £6 per wheel nut the last time I checked and more or likely they will go the same way after a few wheel off/ on jobs or tyre changes ect.

Thanks

those little caps are driving me crazy, every speed bump and pot hole in the road my car sounds like santa has come to town. dink dink dink

there must be a way of replacing the caps rather than the whole nut?

• Like 1

Are you sure it's not the normal nut? My focus came with nuts which had these awful caps applied via pressure so they came off eventually leaving a ugly look. Local garage had complete nuts which didn't have caps for about £1.10 per bargin :)

Put some sweet mcguard locking nuts on as well as old ford ones had rusted and looked !Removed!

7 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

those little caps are driving me crazy, every speed bump and pot hole in the road my car sounds like santa has come to town. dink dink dink

there must be a way of replacing the caps rather than the whole nut?

Darren I know what you mean. If the wee caps could be got cheaper and then its just a matter of popping them on that would be great. I cant find any anywhere though lol!

Not entirely sure if those wheel nuts will be compatible with your car, but I would just like to add that I've worked on dozens of Fords that seem to encounter this issue. It can be a pain when the cap gets jammed in your socket and you have to beat it out with a hammer and punch! :laugh:

My car also has a couple of these caps missing, and weirdly one of my nuts now requires an 18mm socket in order to remove it, rather than the original 19mm size it once was! 

Here's a link to someone on eBay that's selling a complete set of 16 new wheel nuts for £17.69 (they're currently discounted from the original price of £19.65): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360809372901?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't know how good they will be though, and you may find that over time the caps will fall off these ones, too.

• Like 2

Be aware that Ford switched from the old style alloy wheel nuts to the new style Global wheel nuts in 2012. The reason for this is to standardise the wheel nuts on most Ford models and to reduce the amount of different wheel nuts that were used before.

The old style (2-piece or 1-piece) alloy wheel nuts are not compatible with the new style Global wheel nuts. You have to use the correct wheel nut that belongs to the wheels. Using the incorrect type of wheel nuts can result in damage to the wheels or the wheel can even come loose. Most Ebay/Amazon sellers do not even know that there are different types of nuts.

The wheel nuts from the amazon link are cheap copies of the Ford Global wheel nuts. These are only compatible with Global wheels and can not be used with the old design alloy wheels. Next to this these nuts are galvanised. On the pictures these nuts are shiny but generally galvanised steel becomes dull within a few weeks.

The Ford wheel nuts with stainless steel caps will last very long as long as they are treated correctly. These wheel nuts must be removed/installed by hand. Removing/installing them with an impact wrench causes the stainless steel caps that are pressed onto the nuts to stretch and eventually to come loose.

The (2-piece old design) wheel nuts that I use are over 10 Years old and still in mint condition. None of the stainless steel caps did ever come loose. My wheels are removed/installed at least twice a Year and I only remove/install the nuts by hand.

• Like 3

they were a terrible idea when they came out many years ago, when I bought my car it had one intact! Ford replaced them all last year as a good will gesture for breaking my wheel hub on it's MOT (this is a Ford main dealer) less than a year later, the same main dealer changed cam belt and stretch belt and broke two of them after telling me the year before tire depots break them by not knowing what they are doing....

They replaced them again. Wheel nuts you can't use air guns with in 2009? top idea. 

21 hours ago, sonic113 said:

The chrome caps on most of my wheels now are wrecked and need replacing as it doesn't help the look of the wheel lol!

Been looking around online and came across these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDEN-MILE®-Replacement-Locking-Fiesta/dp/B01IREUNDY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1471100688&sr=8-7&keywords=ford+focus+alloy+wheel+nuts

not sure of they would fit but would these be decent and look alright or has anyone got any suggestions I don't wanna be spending a complete fortune as I think ford where charging around £6 per wheel nut the last time I checked and more or likely they will go the same way after a few wheel off/ on jobs or tyre changes ect.

Thanks

If your car has original ford alloys , then the wheel nuts you have linked to on amazon do not have a tapered flange wide enough to seat properly in the nut recess ,

try these ..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-20-M12-x-1-5-19mm-Hex-OE-Style-alloy-wheel-nuts-lugs-bolts-for-Ford-/261970738635?hash=item3cfeac3dcb

fitted them to my focus 12mths ago with no issues , & safe with air / impact gun

much better than the daft ford items

• Like 1

12 hours ago, biff55 said:

If your car has original ford alloys , then the wheel nuts you have linked to on amazon do not have a tapered flange wide enough to seat properly in the nut recess ,

try these ..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-20-M12-x-1-5-19mm-Hex-OE-Style-alloy-wheel-nuts-lugs-bolts-for-Ford-/261970738635?hash=item3cfeac3dcb

fitted them to my focus 12mths ago with no issues , & safe with air / impact gun

much better than the daft ford items

They look like a good bargain, do they look the same a the original ford ones do when installed on car? have you any real life pictures of them on your wheels?

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread,
Is anyone running aftermarket wheel nuts today?

Just had 2 new tyres fitted to my ST and the garage said they had issues with the wheel nuts,
Getting tired of looking for x8 OEM ones for the front, just tempted to get x16 aftermarket for a lot less,
These seem to fit the bill https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323810964070

The problem deciding is either getting replacement wheel nuts and having the same issues going forward,
Or risk aftermarket and face the 'rust' and 'corrosion' issues that seem to litter the reviews.

I've just fitted the same chromed set from eBay. Look to be good quality, and perfect fit in the socket.

Only winter will tell how Good the chrome plating is.

• Like 1

Sorry to bring up an old thread,

Is anyone running aftermarket wheel nuts today?

Just had 2 new tyres fitted to my ST and the garage said they had issues with the wheel nuts,

Getting tired of looking for x8 OEM ones for the front, just tempted to get x16 aftermarket for a lot less,

These seem to fit the bill https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323810964070

The problem deciding is either getting replacement wheel nuts and having the same issues going forward,

Or risk aftermarket and face the 'rust' and 'corrosion' issues that seem to litter the reviews.

Do your alloys need protecting?

If you have 5 stud wheels I'd also replace the locking wheel nuts before it corrodes/ gets damaged by tyre fitters with inappropriate use of the zap zap gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It was just the front nuts that were knackered, so I bought 8 original replacements (£2.84 each)
https://www.micksgarage.com/d/wheel-nuts-and-bolts/products/1869223-9157-55485/febi-bilstein-wheel-nut

Changed them this morning and most of them required hammering on the wrench to get enough grip to loosen them,
Then I had to put the nuts in a vice to get the buggers out of the wrench.

Thought I'd do the job properly and buy a torque wrench, I'll be taking the wheels off more for better cleaning in the future.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075RCXT2Y

I'll be telling my garage not to use a 12 point impact socket on them, you can see they chew into the soft edges.
I'll only use the 6 sided socket that came with my torque wrench from now on, I had a 12 point socket for my breaker bar which I'm not touching now.

20190922_093300.jpg

It was just the front nuts that were knackered, so I bought 8 original replacements (£2.84 each)
https://www.micksgarage.com/d/wheel-nuts-and-bolts/products/1869223-9157-55485/febi-bilstein-wheel-nut
Changed them this morning and most of them required hammering on the wrench to get enough grip to loosen them,
Then I had to put the nuts in a vice to get the buggers out of the wrench.
Thought I'd do the job properly and buy a torque wrench, I'll be taking the wheels off more for better cleaning in the future.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075RCXT2Y
I'll be telling my garage not to use a 12 point impact socket on them, you can see they chew into the soft edges.
I'll only use the 6 sided socket that came with my torque wrench from now on, I had a 12 point socket for my breaker bar which I'm not touching now.
20190922_093300.thumb.jpg.bd774d92b82df719dffe9ba748551ad8.jpg
You can get them much cheaper than that, and still be good quality - try ECP (£2.10ish). I bought mine from a business on eBay, £20 for 20.

Beware the torque rating for solid Vs nuts with caps is different.

I really can't believe what an awful engineering design the OEM soft Ford nuts are. I mean what were they thinking?

Unless they did it on purpose to sell loads of new nuts to replace the damaged ones?  

I really can't believe what an awful engineering design the OEM soft Ford nuts are. I mean what were they thinking?
Unless they did it on purpose to sell loads of new nuts to replace the damaged ones?  
I imagine it is cheaper (and probably easier to keep them nice) to manufacture the nuts out of solid steel and separate stainless covers, than solid steel nuts with a coating.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club