Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Battery Light - Out of idea's...

Wellsie

Hey,

Car: Ford Mondeo, 57 plate, 1.8 TDCi, 130,000 miles

I initially replaced the alternator due to excessive noise, after replacing the alternator i suffered from an intermittent battery light which was diagnosed by an auto electrician as another faulty alternator unit. This was then replaced by another from Ford under warranty, however the battery light still appears intermittently. It has since returned to Ford to have extensive wiring checks carried out which revealed no issue. Their suggestion was a new tensioner and if not a new battery, the problem is the belt is not slipping and is free from slipping, the battery itself is Bosch and only 2 years old.

I have done well over 2000 miles with this intermittent battery light and it does not effect the starting of the car or driving, there is no pattern starting hot / cold etc. I have also contacted Ford to request a new wiring loom for the alternator which they apparently don't do...

Some might say "just live with it", but unfortunately i am not that way inclined and the sight of it drives me insane, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

how extensive was the wiring check? did they check all of 1 linbus wire from alternator to pcm. thats about it, other than the thick red wire to battery via starter motor.

when does warning light come on, while driving or just after starting?

12 hours ago, iantt said:

how extensive was the wiring check? did they check all of 1 linbus wire from alternator to pcm. thats about it, other than the thick red wire to battery via starter motor.

I would like to think they checked the lot... However I'm not sure, this is Lookers Ford in Harrogate after all, they haven't got the best rep.

12 hours ago, iantt said:

when does warning light come on, while driving or just after starting?

The warning light comes on at start up, never whilst driving, sometimes the light goes away after a minute, sometimes it stays on or no light at all.

• Like 1

my battery light comes on all the time . been doing it for 5 years , ( my ownership and a work pal who i bought car off ) . still starts every time and no probs . learn to live with it otherwise it will be a money pit for you to sort out . if car runs ok forget it

I have the same battery light, now and then it starts up and has the light on for about 10 seconds then goes away. I watched the voltages - they are always fine. 

I just consider it a quirk lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club