Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 focus. Clocks dead. Won't start

duluxdoggy

I opened all the windows with the fob on way to car. Started the engine, turned on the ac and grabbed my phone to set music. I then went to drive off and noticed that the clocks are dead. Including the lcd display. Which was working prior. 

So I turned the engine off and tried to restart.... Nothing. No clicks. Electric Windows still work. As is the locking. But windows wouldn't  close with the fob long press. 

I had to go get the bike out (at least it's sunny) 

The guys in work suggest a main fuse. Anyone had this before? Or any ideas what could be wrong?

4 hours ago, duluxdoggy said:

tried to restart.... Nothing. No clicks

Was the immobiliser LED (if it has one) flashing oddly?

If there is an immobiliser problem, it will, after a little while, flash out a code.

Eg code 16 is one flash, gap, 6 flashes, gap & repeat.

Code 16 would be a CAN bus or communications error, that is preventing the car from starting. This is also compatible with the odd behavior of the IC (Instrument Cluster).

Have a look in the manual for any fuses to do with the instrument cluster, or with the pcm. But it is more likely to be an electrical or electronic fault.

Peter.

Will take a look at that. I dont think the immobiliser light is flashing at all now tho. I checked for that when it wouldn't start again. Incase transponder broke or something along those lines. 

Just checked. No immobiliser light. All fuses good. Local garage just told me it will be the clocks... Without a shadow of doubt... 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2016 at 8:46 AM, duluxdoggy said:

Local garage just told me it will be the clocks... Without a shadow of doubt... 

I have been working with electronics long enough to know that there is always some "shadow of doubt"!

That is until the the fault is repeatedly isolated & fixed, and even then sometimes ....

But the ICs on 2006 Foci are notorious for faults, I had one, just a bad solder joint, but massive problems. So I would certainly go along with that diagnosis, but to a 95% certainty, rather than 100.0%!

They are cropping up at about 1 a week just on this site.

These ICs can be sent away for repair (with a warranty) for about £100. New one fitted by Ford can be over £800. A used one could be dodgy, and will need to be programmed to the car like a new one. So the repair option may be best if you can spare an extra day or two. They are quite simple to remove, though care is needed not to crack the clear cover. And very easy to put back in.

For my repair, with hints on removal, see: https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So had the cluster repaired. Cost £125. But it is still dead. Just tested the socket and no live going to the unit. Got electrician coming tomorrow to try. He thinks maybe control unit failure....

41 minutes ago, duluxdoggy said:

Ok. So had the cluster repaired. Cost £125. But it is still dead. Just tested the socket and no live going to the unit. Got electrician coming tomorrow to try. He thinks maybe control unit failure....

This post only applies if the wiring diagram is also correct for MK2 Focuses (like it says it is, although dated 2010).

The ignition live is likely not coming from the control unit. If the wiring diagram is correct check that F107, F108 and F112 are all getting power, and that the fuses are intact. You may need to measure them with a meter to double check.

Again, if the wiring diagram is correct, you should be getting battery voltage (permanent) on pin 32, ignition on pin 4, accessory on pin 15, and should have continuity to ground on pin 6. These wires come directly from the passenger fusebox, not the control module.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 9:41 PM, Micro said:

wiring diagram is also correct for MK2 Focuses

It does seem to be mostly right, but one big difference is the Fuse numbering in the PJB. It is a completely different unit in the Mk2, and I have not got a diagram for it, except the picture in the owners manual. Even the Haynes  (4807, dated 2005 to 2009) is wrong, it shows the Mk2a GEM/PJB & fuse numbering!:wacko:

On 8/25/2016 at 8:46 PM, duluxdoggy said:

Just tested the socket and no live going to the unit.

Micro is spot on with the voltages on the IC socket.

But the fuses in the PJB (Passenger Fuse Box) are (I think!) F46 (10A), F67 (10A) & F68 (7.5A).

Mk2 PJB: Mk2-BCM.JPG

Mk2a PJB: Mk2a-BCM.JPG

Aah yeah, fuse descriptions are

F107 -  Instrument cluster battery supply, on-board diagnostics (10A fuse)
F108 - Accessory to cluster (audio and navigation unit) (7.5A fuse)
F112 - Audio modules battery supply

Why didn't they just standardise the fuse boards? :P

There are also fuses in the engine bay that supply different sections of the passenger fuse box, so you need to check all the fuses there too.

Ok. So the guy came round. A small amount of corrosion on the fuse box. Cleaned up still nothing. However he took the cover off the plug that goes into the ic. Found 1 perm live. 3 switched lives. And 4 earth's. He said the ic should be working. Contacted the guy that apparently serviced it and he said he will replace the unit and transfer the immobiliser coding... Lets see how this one goes.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club