Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Press Clutch to start Ford C-Max

R Alexander

Have just acquired first Ford -- a 2013 CMax with 10000 miles.   Can anyone explain exactly WHY I have to depress the clutch pedal to start up?  Most annoying.

It's wasteful ear and tear on clutch - presumably because of the minority of stupid drivers who start a car in gear?  Or is there some other reason?

Thanks

R Alexander

Dunno, but on my keyless ST I have to depress the clutch or the car ain't starting lol

Oh and I leave the car in gear incase the handbrake fails, hardly 'stupid' :wink:

I don't know the actual figures for it, but I doubt starting a car with the clutch depressed will do that much extra damage. It is a habit for many people who live on steep hills to leave the car in gear as a fail safe. Also, many people through the world do not use the handbrake while parking in winter as it can get frozen. Instead they park in gear and start the car with the clutch depressed. Nothing stupid about starting a car in gear, unless you forget to depress the clutch... 

Start stop cars generally require to you depress the clutch to start as well.

• Like 1

It should actually reduce wear and tear as your not asking the starter motor to turn over the clutch and gearbox.

It reduces wear on the DMF and starter and load on the battery.  Plus stops you starting in gear accidentally as you say.  If you think of how many hundred times you press the clutch every day a couple extra isn't going to noticeably shorten the life of the clutch springs anyway.

It's good practice to start any car with the clutch down, I always have done, not really sure why you wouldn't!

There are some cars where they recommend to start with clutch engaged, it usually says in the manual whether to start with clutch engaged or not.

On modern Fords, even with key, it won't start without the clutch disengaged.

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

There are some cars where they recommend to start with clutch engaged, it usually says in the manual whether to start with clutch engaged or not.

On modern Fords, even with key, it won't start without the clutch disengaged.

What would be the benefit of starting any with the clutch engaged?

Not sure, I just remember one of my parents cars specifically stating in the manual not to disengage the clutch when starting.

Perhaps the ECU startup sequence was programmed to take into account the weight of the gearbox?

I think it was a Peugeot, so say no more, haha.

• Like 1

Hmm, just seems odd lol.  I've always started anything with the clutch down and will continue that unless I see a good reason not to. :smile: 

• Like 1

Not sure about this with my Focus, but with a couple of Hyundai Lantra's  I have owned there was a switch activated by depressing the clutch pedal that was connected to the immobilizer system, so you had to start  them with the pedal depressed.

It could be to do with  the Thatcham alarm and immobilizer system.

http://thatchamfitters.co.uk/car/cars-with-factory-fitted-thatcham-security/ford.htm

Edited by eddie eastwood
More info
  • Like 1

I wouldn't consider starting a manual without the clutch depressed!  My cars are over 20 years old so don't require it, but I always do it to reduce wear to the starter motors and batteries.  It doesn't wear the clutch at all, so don't worry about that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club