Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aloy refurbishment

smurf1242

any one know anything about aloy refurbishing and what i would need to do it my self?

Thank you

• Like 1

It's a waste of time and expensive to do yourself.

i get my 18" alloys blasted and powder coated at a local place for £40 a wheel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stef123 said:

It's a waste of time and expensive to do yourself.

i get my 18" alloys blasted and powder coated at a local place for £40 a wheel.

+1

I've done it myself and it's extremely messy, costly (it's NOT cheaper) and time consuming, and unless you want to sit and look at your alloys for months on end whilst the paint and then lacquer cures properly, get them professionally done where you can be driving on them the same day

• Like 3

hmm saw a build on here with a ford focus where they did it them selfs and it didnt seem expensive or take too long either

Thank you tho :)

I got some done a while back and join the "get someone else to do it" camp.  I had my FIAT 17s refurbed to look like standard - came back perfect and only cost £50 a corner :)

haha i try not to get anything done by other people, like the satisfaction of doing it my self haha

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing wrong in wanting to do it yourself Reece. If fact i commend you for thinking of doing so.

However, In this day and age it is just not worth the hassle to do so. How would you deal with ant chips grazes and scrapes to your rims ? Would you be able to mount them on a lath and machine them? There are just so many processes involved for a perfect job.

If it's something you really want to try then before you embark on you mission. get an alloy from the breakers. That way you can keep on the road while you play with the one from the breakers to practice on.

• Like 1

This is the latest alloy I've had done to match the rest on my mondeo.

£40 to have it blasted back to bare aluminium, minor defects sorted and powder coated with that finish. It's just not worth spending hours doing it yourself when you can get professional results for little money. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stef123 said:

£40 to have it blasted back to bare aluminium, minor defects sorted and powder coated with that finish. It's just not worth spending hours doing it yourself when you can get professional results for little money.

That's a great price, I don't think you can get anywhere near that down here in London.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smurf1242 said:

hmm saw a build on here with a ford focus where they did it them selfs and it didnt seem expensive or take too long either

I plasti-dipped the wheels on my Focus which wasn't too much work or too expensive and they looked decent. Unfortunately it didn't last long and started to come away from the wheels and I ended up paying to get them done!

2 hours ago, smurf1242 said:

haha i try not to get anything done by other people, like the satisfaction of doing it my self haha

I love doing stuff myself too but this is a job which is far too labour intensive to be worth undertaking imho.

hmm been qouted £85 per alloy thats too much which i am not willing to pay

I wish I could get mine done for £40 a wheel!! 

They must be northern prices lol!?

• Like 3

I had one of mine done a little while ago, £50 to have it put back to factory fresh in Medway, not far from London, as we still get charged London rates for a lot of things.

Shop around and you will find the right thing, but yeah, its a painstaking process, I was going to redo all of mine, but the cost of paint and the right lacquer came to about £60 for all corners, then get sandpaper, filler, primer, that came to about £25, so for £85 I have the bits, then adding up all the hours of the day, needing to take up a shed, some decent detergent to wash them in, then getting the rebalance and all that jazz... honestly, if you can get them done, its easier, and overall can be cheaper, and your hands dont get shredded.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 16/08/2016 at 3:15 PM, smurf1242 said:

any one know anything about aloy refurbishing and what i would need to do it my self?

Thank you

I haven't done it myself but I have a picture of a comment on a post I posted that contradicts the above!

I guess it just depending on if you know how to do it yourself or can learn quick from videos and as you go?

I was quoted £74 ish per rim to bring the car in and have it done in a day as I need my car for work so couldn't just take the rims off and bring them along.. I can't afford £74 per rim! It's an insane amount of money!

IMG_9183.PNG

If you have the money to get them done professionall then save yourself the time and stress of trying it yourself but if you don't have the money to do that then I'd say research research research and try it yourself 👌🏽

• Like 2

On 18/08/2016 at 8:16 PM, stef123 said:

It's just not worth spending hours doing it yourself when you can get professional results for little money. 

What do you mean it's just not worth it ? There's great satisfaction in doing something oneself! That's how I look at it anyway.

When I did my Son's wheels it was all done right by me and cost just £60 all in and no corners cut, I even photographed & marked up the exact placement of the balance weights, took them all off and even repainted the insides as good as the outsides and re-fitted brand new weights, Luckily my Son works next door to a tyre fitter who gave him brand new balance weights for free, fitted the new weights and everything was just as it was before.

So did you add on the price for fuel used -  tyres taken off - new valves fitted - tyres put back on & re-balanced ? I'm sure this isn't free these days!

• Like 2

I bet I couldn't even buy enough paint, lacquer and consumables to do 4x 18" alloys for £60. That and I need somewhere dust free/clean atmosphere.. 

4 wheels blasted back to bare metal and coated is a better finish than sanding will achieve IMO.

time is also money, I could be doing better things than sat sanding and spraying lol. 

My wheels were bare as I removed the tyres myself so new tyres and valves fitted. 

Hey Up! Why don't you give these guys a look on Facebook and give them a call?

Platinum Coatings - Alloy Wheel Refurbishment and Powder Coating

Refurbishment of 4 alloys in any colour (Tyres removed, All old paint chemically stripped, damage repaired and powder coated, new valves fitted and wheels balanced, same day service - 9AM drop off and 5:30PM collection)

- £200 for wheels up for 20"...
- £240 for anything above 20"

(Please contact us for prices on split rims and diamond cut wheels)

Based in Trafford park, Manchester.

Contact - 07957 735138

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joss max said:

Nice Emma but these guys are darn souff init.

Darn what? Haha sorry. I just saw them on Facebook, they work on all sorts of cars. didn't think £50 per corner for all that was too back, especially the same day service. I've not had to have my alloys done yet, I've got two tiny scuffs on each of the front wheels and nothing on the back ill be looking to tidy them up in a bit though probably.

• Like 1

To be honest I'd love my Zetec S alloys repainted on the inner edge in gun metal grey with the outer edge diamond turned, then all lacquered.

Going to just message that re-painter on facebook, will let you guys know how much!

Message back from the guy on eBay! £400 for me alloys to be done! Would look lovely, from the days when Ford knew how to make alloys look drop dead gorgeous, unlike today's standard of only spraying half the wheel in silver.

Idea's of the bare diamond turned alloy & grey! 

RS Alloys 7x15 5-spoke ET28 Diamond cut - large image.JPG

Refurb-RS2000-Blk-Pol2.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 25/09/2016 at 10:00 PM, BenjeeFordFan said:

I haven't done it myself but I have a picture of a comment on a post I posted that contradicts the above!

I guess it just depending on if you know how to do it yourself or can learn quick from videos and as you go?

I was quoted £74 ish per rim to bring the car in and have it done in a day as I need my car for work so couldn't just take the rims off and bring them along.. I can't afford £74 per rim! It's an insane amount of money!

IMG_9183.PNG

Here you go Benjee! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club