Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car pulling to the left after tyre change (following flat)

ncw92

Hello,

I drive an '05 MK6 Fiesta Finesse, 1.2 at around 90K mileage.

I recently had to drive through a large pot hole (inconsiderate driver hogging the road coming other way), and got a flat tyre (N/S/F).

I had the tyre changed - both tyre and rim as it had buckled quite badly - but the car still didn't feel like it was driving quite right.

As they'd fitted a cheap tyre, I decided to swap the N/S/F with the N/S/R which had a Michelin on it, matching the O/S/F.

After swapping them I noticed the car was pulling to the left, I can't be sure if it was before I swapped them but I know it didn't feel right.

I took it to my local garage who adjusted the tracking. They informed me the N/S/F wheel was buckled and there was slight play in the inner track rod - as I'd swapped the wheels over, that would have been the rear (N/S/R) and so I'm guessing that the pothole actually damaged both.

The tracking adjustment did nothing, the car still pulled left as before. I checked and adjusted all tyre pressures and got the buckled wheel replaced as I assumed that could be causing it, but still the car pulls left, no change.

I'm going to take the car back to the garage for them to have another look now all tyres should be fine, but as they couldn't see any issue before I'm not holding out much hope that they'll see anything obvious.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or any advice on what could be causing it? I assumed the track rod having play wouldn't be the cause as it was probably an age issue, but could this in fact be the cause? Would the pothole have affected it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Niall

Mismatched tyres are the problem.

Track rods can cause this and may be damaged if you hit pothole get them checked.

also if you change tyre anytime always do both the same not just the one that way you got even play on the axle and both tyres will ware even.

if you got new tyre n one old you got more tread on new one which will pull more to the direction of the wheel with the lowest tread

Thanks for the replies guys,

Update on the situation:

Had the offside track rod replaced as it had been damaged going over the pothole, sadly though, the car still pulls left - this seems mostly to be at speed but it's hard to say without finding some quiet roads and really testing it.

The tyre's are mismatched, although when the track rod was replaced the mechanic swapped them over so both new ones are on the front, off the top of my head I can't remember his reasoning, but it was something to do with even wear etc. - I did think the uneven wear might be a factor, but the car is pulling left, the side with new tyres on, which doesn't make sense to me.

I may consider getting them all changed, but it's a costly thing and so will have to wait. In the meantime, with the track rod replaced and tyres new and treads even, I'm stumped as to what else might be the cause.

When he has swapped them from back to front he did balance them ect didn't he? As each wheel needs balanced before put on if your swapping from another axle or getting new tyres 

I'd assumed so but will double check - I'm taking it into a tyre place soon. I thought wheel balancing was independent of axle though, as lots of places offer guides for switching tyres and none mention having to re-balance.

Every new tyre need balanced b4 fitting

even if your swapping old from one axle to other best get it balanced pal things ware different ways n different times on cars hence balance.

giving you even usage of tyres unless you have a problem with tracking ect then your gonna lose more tread on on side n other first if you get me.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would put my experience on for future Ford Fiesta steering issues. 

I had 4 new tyres fitted and tracking done and the car (2012 fiesta) was still pulling to the left. It turned out my steering is electric and just needed calibrating. 

Hope this helps someone out with the same issue. 

82adaea438a1037a6eee82fe0d0f15e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club