Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issue with replacement key fob

audin

Hi all! I have a MK2 1.6 Focus and having a bit of trouble with my key fob.

Last week I wrecked my old key fob by accident so I purchased a replacement from eBay. I've fitted my existing key blade to the new key fob, successfully paired it to the car (turn ignition from I to II four times then press fob button) and I can now unlock and lock the car with the fob, but i'm unable to start the car with it. When trying to start the key the immobilser light flashes fast, so I can only assume there's either something missing in the new fob (or it's faulty), or i'm doing something wrong.

I'm assuming I should be able to use my old key blade with the new key fob and that I don't need to get a new key blade laser cut. I'm sure i've read online that it should be as easy as snapping on the old key blade and pairing the new key fob.

I've attached a picture of my current key fob just in case I've explained this incorrectly.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks

key.PNG

There's a passive chip in the fob that is interrogated by a sensor coil around the lock barrel to unlock the immobiliser. You need to transfer the chip to the new fob.

20 minutes ago, mjt said:

There's a passive chip in the fob that is interrogated by a sensor coil around the lock barrel to unlock the immobiliser. You need to transfer the chip to the new fob.

Oh right... Is this easy enough to do or will I need a soldering iron? Are you aware of any instructions anywhere? Sorry, i'm a total novice when it comes to cars but I can't afford to pay Ford £200 to sort it out...

Can I just transfer the circuit board from the new fob in to the old fob? Will that work?

I can't remember what the inside of that old-style fob looks like. Hopefully one of the experts will be along soon with advice. The chip is usually just pressed into the fob so no soldering is necessary. You should only need to carefully prise it out with a small screwdriver and press it into the new fob. This is completely separate from the circuit board, which is just for the central locking. As you've already paired the new one you don't need to swap it over.

The chip is a small black plastic item like an integrated circuit chip without legs and probably with some printing on it and if I remember correctly one corner chamfered. It'll be fitted onto the back of the old fob under the PCB and if you can't remove it you might need to transfer the old back to the new fob.

there should be a glass bulb chip in the old key take that out carefully as this is what makes it start 

place this in the new fob same place:smile: should look like thiss-l300.jpg

Thanks for the clarification Dez. The only chip I've ever seen was in a Rover fob and that was as I described. I just assumed the Ford one would be the same.

• Like 1

Thanks i'll give this a go when I get home this evening. I fear that when I screwed up the old fob trying to change the battery I may have lost this chip as I don't remember seeing it, but hopefully it's still in the old fob or somewhere in the foot well of my car! :unsure:

Cheers for the help guys :smile:

its in the fob to one side encased in rubber :smile:

OK, the chip isn't there :( The old fob is knackered so I can only assume it's fallen out somewhere.

Is there anything I can do other than pay Ford for a new key? Will an auto-locksmith be able to fit and program a new chip?

Are you sure the chip isn't there? I have not have seen a key with the glass chip as shown above. Mine is the little black chip.

Chip will most likely look like this 

https://goo.gl/images/CWnRhL

his is a mk1 2000 glass chip :smile:

4 hours ago, audin said:

OK, the chip isn't there ...

Is there anything I can do other than pay Ford

The PATS chip is not connected to the remote control part of the key at all. It is usually well buried in the key, and quite well protected. It should remain in the blade part of the key when the fob is removed.

If it really is not there, then you need to find out if your new key contains a PATS chip. The flash code from the immobiliser may help. The led should, after an initial long flash possibly, start a regular flash sequence. Eg Code 15 would be 1 flash, gap 5 flashes, gap & repeat.

Code 15 indicates chip detected, but not coded to vehicle. Codes 13 or 14 would be no PATS chip detected.

There is no easy way to re-code the PATS keys. Ford IDS (at a dealer, for an arm & a leg and more) can do it.

Forscan can do it, but it is a fairly complex procedure. Have a look at: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

I can advise on the kit you need, & have used Forscan, but I have not tried this procedure. (Cost should be about £15, for the adapter.)

As far as I know, these are the only two options, if the working PATS chip is missing.

PS: I am a little confused by your car information. Your profile says 2000, but your post says Mk2 Focus. If it is Mk1 Focus, there should be an easier, in car way, but only if have have one or possibly two, other working keys.

do you have any pictures of your old fob opened up

You can easily check if the chip is present in the old fob, knackered or not. Just hold it close to the ignition key barrel whilst trying to start the engine.

Woops sorry, didn't realise my profile had my previous Focus in it. I now have a 2006 MK2. I have a terrible memory I didn't even know i'd posted on here before!

Here's a picture of my old fob dismantled. Can't see where this small glass chip would be...

757575674734.PNG

P.S - I know the key is filthy, that's how it was when a bought the car and I haven't bothered cleaning it :unsure:

By the way, my new fob that I bought from eBay has already completely died on me, will no longer unlock the car and it won't pair with the car again (no beep on press) so I think it's dead. Got a refund anyway.

chip live here chip should look something like this

757575674734.thumb.PNG.aa14ee329f0bc8bd6919659dd04df890.PNG

s-l500.jpg

20 minutes ago, audin said:

Can't see where this small glass chip would be

I thought it was in the keyblade part. But as you have changed to old blade on to the new fob, it may be broken.

Try the old key in the lock without the the new pcb in it, but with the old part indicated by Dez fitted. I have heard of a case where the remote fob & electronics interfered with the PATS part.

If this gives flash codes 13 or 14, then try it by holding the new keyblade very close to the old one while turning the ignition on. See if the code changes to 15.

The PATS system is very short range, the sensor is round the ignition key barrel.

Edited by Tdci-Peter
Change info about chip location.

i was working of it being a 2000 mk1 the new picture of the chip is for the mk 2

s-l500.jpg

1 minute ago, audin said:

Is this it?

terte4yeryhershgd.PNG

yes

Awesome :) So now all I need is a working fob. How easy is it to get the chip out? Should it just pull out? Worried about breaking it.

hold that fob next to your ignition barrel then try to start it with the key bit you have it should start

1 minute ago, dezwez said:

hold that fob next to your ignition barrel then try to start it with the key bit you have it should start

Like wot I said . . . .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club