Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo boost sensor

Barry the beard

Hi everyone, i have a late 2005 mondeo estate 2.2 tdci ghia. I am having an intermitant problem which i am hoping somebody can shed some light on. The problem only occurs when i am towing our caravan, the glow plug light comes on and the car loses power. Istop ,switch it off for a few seconds, start it up and it may be ok for soma time after that, other times it will do it again within a few miles. I replaced the glow plugs last year because i was told that it could be one breaking down, but this year the problem has re- occured. Ihave taken off the EGR valve and cleaned that. I took the car to a friend of mine who plugged in his fault finder and it came up with Turbocharger boost sensor as a fault. Am i right in thinking this is also called an MAP sensor. My problem is this, i want to replace the sensor, but can anybody tell me where it is exactly situated, i have spent most of the day looking for it, had the car on ramps, been underneath and still cant find it, can anybody help please, many thanks Barry.

This could well be Split boost pipe,These are common, Acts like a rev limiter gets to around 2500rpm and then stops, Accelerating harder
makes the car go slower. Accelerate gently and it will get to 70 and maybe more but flooring the throttle chokes the
engine.

MAP sensor  Turbo engines typically use both; a MAF sensor on the intake tract pre-turbo and a MAP sensor on the charge pipe leading to the throttle body. Sorry can't be more precise.

Edited by Joss max
forgot to add

2 hours ago, Joss max said:

This could well be Split boost pipe,These are common, Acts like a rev limiter gets to around 2500rpm and then stops, Accelerating harder
makes the car go slower. Accelerate gently and it will get to 70 and maybe more but flooring the throttle chokes the
engine.

MAP sensor  Turbo engines typically use both; a MAF sensor on the intake tract pre-turbo and a MAP sensor on the charge pipe leading to the throttle body. Sorry can't be more precise.

Thanks Joss for info, will look into that, regards Barry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Barry the beard said:

i want to replace the sensor, but can anybody tell me where it is exactly situated,

I looked for info on the 2.2 engine, but found nothing to help. Follow the inlet pipework back from the inlet manifold, towards the intercooler. In rare cases, it is on the outlet end of the intercooler, but normally it is plumbed in to the inlet manifold somewhere.

It is either connected via a small hose, or goes in through a hole in the manifold. A MAP sensor will usually have a 3 pin plug. A T-MAP (Temperature & Pressure) will have 5 pins, most likely.

• Like 2

As a suggestion do a search in google and use the image search. That is often a good way to find things Barry.  Also don't for get youtube

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I looked for info on the 2.2 engine, but found nothing to help. Follow the inlet pipework back from the inlet manifold, towards the intercooler. In rare cases, it is on the outlet end of the intercooler, but normally it is plumbed in to the inlet manifold somewhere.

It is either connected via a small hose, or goes in through a hole in the manifold. A MAP sensor will usually have a 3 pin plug. A T-MAP (Temperature & Pressure) will have 5 pins, most likely.

Hi Peter, thanks very much for your help, i will look into this over the next couple of days and let you know how i get on, regards Barry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joss max said:

As a suggestion do a search in google and use the image search. That is often a good way to find things Barry.  Also don't for get youtube

Thanks joss.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Barry the beard said:

i will look into this over the next couple of days

While looking at those pipes, follow the advice of Joss, and look for spits, holes or partially connected pipes. Leaks in the intake system after the turbo can cause MAP (or Turbo Boost) error codes, as the pressure will be lower than expected.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club