Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centre Console Connections

A_Jobson

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my centre console to the arm rest version. I have a 2010 Ford Focus Sport, 1.6TDCI.

The USB connection from the car appears to be a mini USB connector, but the new console has a USB looking type connector, but it's slightly smaller than standard USB.

Does anyone have any idea if an adapted is available to go from the micro, to whatever is in the console?

I've attached pictures to show the difference.

20160818_125100464_iOS.jpg

20160818_130304247_iOS.jpg

that's a mini usb, not a micro, just buy a wee cable to convert. itll be something like 2 quid from fleebay, no point on earth spending a lot on it.

if I have got your meaning correct you will need a female Mini USB to male USB type A

something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-B-5Pin-to-USB-2-0-Standard-Convertor-Adapter-Female-Mini-B-Male-USB-A-/182006764111?hash=item2a6072d24f:g:lKcAAOSwXshWq3mZ

you will just need to secure it in place with some PVC tape or something

It just seems as though a standard USB won't fit into that connector, it's a little bit too small. Could it be anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grey connector is a Ford specific connector that is not compatible with standard USB connectors. The black connector is also a Ford specific connector but this one is also compatible with mini USB.

In about the second half of 2009 Ford the USB cables and connectors.

There is no adapter cable to solve this problem so you either have to buy a new USB cable with the correct connector (which is pretty expensive) or you have to connect both cables yourself using generic USB connectors.

Thanks for that, I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case though!

How would I connect them using generic USB connectors?

I'm sure Ford do this just to make our lives difficult [emoji36]

buy the adaptor I posted, plug that male USB A plug in to the socket, in then plug the Mini USB plug in to the adaptor, only thing you will need to look at is how to make it all stable.  ideally you would find a wee cable to do the job but I had a look and there isn't any premade, of course you can easily make one if your ok with a soldering iron.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to purchasing and attempting to fit the adapter Dee_82 suggested, but it doesn't fit.

As JW1982 mentioned, it seems as though I'll need a male USB Ford connector to fit the console connection, as that end on the adapter or any USB cable doesn't fit...it seems as though the Ford type is a few mm smaller, compared to the standard USB metal surround :(

Any ideas? I can't seem to find such a thing anywhere!

Ahh brilliant! I just wasn't sure about that as it doesn't say if the Ford connector is male or not, but is it safe to say it is? :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club