Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost Rear Disc Upgrade

Willy

Hi all

Looking into the rear disc conversion for my 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium X.

$_3.JPG

I've been thinking about it for over a year and can't see any actual braking benefits over the current drums. I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge can help me out. It seems like more of a cosmetic thing than a practical one.

I've upgraded the front calipers to ST180s and have come across a rear set on SiCo's site 

http://www.sico-developments.co.uk/collections/2012-onwards-mk7-5-fiesta-zetec-s/products/mk7-fiesta-rear-disc-conversion?variant=603265217

Looks reasonably priced and has all the kit. I've also looked at the ST rear beam conversation and with the extra handbrake cable and brake lines there both evenly priced.

Any help on this would be great.

• Like 1

Willy when u updated the front did younhave to change the discs or not? R u st180 capliers any bigger to the standard?

3 minutes ago, Adam2016 said:

Willy when u updated the front did younhave to change the discs or not? R u st180 capliers any bigger to the standard?

Changed the calipers, Discs and pads. There 20mm bigger.

54 minutes ago, Willy said:

Hi all

Looking into the rear disc conversion for my 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium X.

I've been thinking about it for over a year a can't see any actual braking benefits over the current drums. I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge can help me out. It seems like more of a cosmetic thing than a practical one.

I've upgraded the front calipers to ST180s and have come across a rear set on SiCo's site 

http://www.sico-developments.co.uk/collections/2012-onwards-mk7-5-fiesta-zetec-s/products/mk7-fiesta-rear-disc-conversion?variant=603265217

Looks reasonably priced and has all the kit. I've also looked at the ST rear beam conversation and with the extra handbrake cable and brake lines there both evenly priced.

Any help on this would be great.

Hi Willy

I have never really been a big fan or rear disks on smaller cars as the handbrake never seems to work as well due to the caliper design / Or have the hold strength of drum brakes. From reading information on the braking system on the Fiesta it seems that the fronts do about 75% of the total braking so by going for the ST front set you are making a huge improvement . I would like to know more about the ST brake system it would be interesting to know if the front to rear braking bias it different from the disk and drum set up also I wonder if changing the front calipers would have any effect on the working of the ABS system.

I am interested in upgrading my front brakes at some point also so would be interested in your experiences?  

The fronts were an easy job to do. Just a case of swapping the disc, pads and calipers over and connecting them up.

Like any new pads and discs they need time to bed in. I found the brakes to be absolutely rubbish to start with and !Removed! scary at times. Now though there absolutely amazing and way better than the old setup.

As for ABS there no noticeable affect and it's never kicked in.

On the fiesta it's mainly cosmetics, the different models weigh a similar amount and the majority of the braking is done by the front.

its easy to swap though you just need the full rear beam, brake hoses and handbrake cable, should be able to get the lot from a breaker on eBay, think someone on here did it recently.

Not had an issue with mine but a few people do find the handbrake has let go, in my opinion this is more to do with how it's used, I pull the handbrake a s normal, depress the brake pedal then the handbrake will go another couple of notches, also park in gear.

it will look good on yours along with the front brakes you've done, I'd probably do the same in your position but I would be aware that some people would look down on it for making the car look like something it's not.

I hate it when drivers ratchet the handbrake, click. click. click. click, then wonder why the handbrake fails. The teeth and the pawl are worn out.  I depress the button pull lever up and release the button, Never had a problem and the way it had to be done if you converted your handbrake to fly off for handbake turns.

• Like 2

Still not decided at the moment but got to change the brake fluid in the next few months so gives me time to think about it. I do like the look of calipers all round bit if it's only for show then to me it's not worth it.

5 hours ago, karl46 said:

I hate it when drivers ratchet the handbrake, click. click. click. click, then wonder why the handbrake fails. The teeth and the pawl are worn out.  I depress the button pull lever up and release the button, Never had a problem and the way it had to be done if you converted your handbrake to fly off for handbake turns.

Rubbish, everybody reading this please comment if your handbrake ratchet has had to be replaced  on any car you've owned.

for the record, over 25 years driving, many cars and work vans, some that have gone to 200k, never had to replace a handbrake ratchet.

How do you use your socket set?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still not decided at the moment but got to change the brake fluid in the next few months so gives me time to think about it. I do like the look of calipers all round bit if it's only for show then to me it's not worth it.

Would definitely be only for show.. The fronts will be doing well over 80% of the work, and I've never felt like I'm running out of brakes - including plenty of track work.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Interesting comments guys. 

May have to break out the black paint for now and tidy up the drums.

I'd prefer discs on the back too but it seems like a pointless visual upgrade. Painted the rear drums on mine last week as it happens, really tidied it up and those drums are only driving around for four months.

Out of curiosity I message a well known company selling the disc upgrade about the cost. Still waiting on a price 4 days later.

I saw this online http://unique-power.com.tw/type1/ which claims to sort out he park brake issue. I'm not keen as just seems to be additional unsprung weight. 

Im still looking into the rear axle with disks from the new Mazda 2 - I think they are using the Fiesta ST axle/twist beam, which is good for me as STs aren't available here. 

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought a full set of brakes from a ST and have found that one benifit is that the rear twist beam is a good few millimetres thicker than the beam from a drum brake car thus will help with body roll when cornering.

• Like 1

I've done mine, they are slightly better but as the front do most of the work there more for looks. 

I got the full axle for £100 do wasn't too bad. 

Also upgraded to braided lines while I was at it 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

More for looks..................... i got offered a rear brake convertion very cheap when i got my ST front brakes on my car and didnt take it as drums are better for immediate stopping power........... which is better for hand brake turns ......... not that i do that anyway :O ...... 
but as said extra weight and with extra doors a didnt fancy taking anymore weight on 2bh lol 

• 1 year later...

Hi, sorry i know it was awhile ago, but wondering if you ended up doing it? i really want to do this on mine, i hate the look of brake drum's, so i know to some it would be silly and waste of money just for the image, but i'd be happier myself with it. Not something i can do myself at all, so wondering who i could find to do it

Thinking of doing the conversion on my mk6 fiesta ZS. I'm sure it must help in full force braking. I think also it neatens up the wheels plus I think looks tidy when the calipers are painted. Kind of looks cheesy painting drums other than black. 

14 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Thinking of doing the conversion on my mk6 fiesta ZS. I'm sure it must help in full force braking. I think also it neatens up the wheels plus I think looks tidy when the calipers are painted. Kind of looks cheesy painting drums other than black. 

Not really any braking power increase, fronts do about 80% of the work. I'm pretty sure drums are better at their job, but disks offer better cooling. Only a mod for looks, ideal if you're getting a new hub anyway.

• Like 1

Ah okay, probably best then to increase the disc size. I might still do the conversion as my dad finds drums a pain to work on compared to discs

• 4 months later...

Well just to bump the post up, i recently had mine done by someone - let's say, i've had some headaches with it since., but most of it has been rectified by my dad who's a mechanic. But whilst it was being done i've had the front brakes upgraded to ST180 one's also. I've noticed since yesterday after 5/10mins of driving a squeaky noise from front off-side? only when it seems to pull away on it's own (mine's an auto), over 10mph it goes. the noise i can describe it as....say a gate hinge not been oiled? that. the pads have plenty of meat on them. the discs are fine - not brand new, but good enough on car. i had braided lines all round done. The discs all round did have some rust where been sitting around for a long while. Everything is tightened up etc. 

The handbrake cable had issues at beginning but it's been temp repaired so until i get my new ST one supplied & fitted tomorrow. (i can put it in park for the moment) 

Other thing i've noticed on my rear axle, the wheels each side, have a tiny, TINY bit of play in them? identical each side? i will be having the garage look at this, as it does not seem to be a bearing gone? the axle came off 600 mile ST180 i was told. 

anyone able to suggest thoughts on maybe the noise and the bearing on the back? 

in a way wish i'd never had anything done - i'm only 10months into driving and as you can imagine when got back from garage i felt i've ruined my car etc, so stressed beyond believe. but like i keep getting told - a car can be fixed

On 22/08/2016 at 7:37 PM, MarksST said:

Rubbish, everybody reading this please comment if your handbrake ratchet has had to be replaced  on any car you've owned.

for the record, over 25 years driving, many cars and work vans, some that have gone to 200k, never had to replace a handbrake ratchet.

How do you use your socket set?

In over 60 years of driving I have never heard of a handbrake ratchet failing.   Although police driving courses always insist that you depress the button.

I have once replaced a handbrake lever due to the ratchet failing.  Had to pull it up to 6 clicks.  Any lower it'd slip drop back down to 2.  The car had done 273k though tbf!