Do Not Sell My Personal Information

engine fan not going off??

Beckispeakman

Hi all need help my engine fan won't go off on my car, it only seems to switch off when I turn ignotion on it's really loud too can hear it over my radio?? Anyone no what's causing it to stay on?? 

Thanks

They do stay on if the cars sensors think it needs to be, it should turn off after a bit though.

how long have you had the car? has it done it before if so for how long? Is your AC on or if you have climate control is that set to auto?

Temp normal, I've had the car about 2 months now and I only just start the car from it being cold and it could come on straight away and it doesn't go off I've waited like 20 mins and it still didn't go off. 

Ive not got a clue what climate control is an A/C not been on 

Possibly coolant temperature sensor playing up and not which can cause it not coming on n off when it should

i have asked someone else and they said relay sensor but I've no clue.... Women with cars and that lol

lol it don't sound to much of a big job it does still work as normal though yeh 

Yeah works fine only thing is someone said it will run off my battery and eventually make my battery die 

What year is car? If it's an older 03-08 then the relay is probably sticking on, open bonnet and thump the black box next to battery.

Yeh it will, I would go with relay switch they can build up with corrosion and fail and just need replaced.

It's 2013 been in to car dealership today about it and it's stopped doing it so they can't fix it 😂

• Haha 1

Sounds like it is trying a DPF regeneration.

• Like 2

Pmsl just typical that ain't it, well hope your fan stays under control 👍

• Like 1

is it normal for the fan to come on with the dpf? its really really loud can hear it over radio sounds like a hoover?

If you drive it around town and it is trying a DPF regeneration the fan will come on.

• Like 1

Hiya Beck,

I experienced this problem myself recently. In my personal experience the fan turned off after a few minutes after running at fall speed producing a loud humming noise as the fan rotated. However I had one instance where I left it, went inside, and I didn't turn off. Came outside 20 minutes later to find my key fob not working due to the fan running my battery flat. Recharged the battery and the same issues occurred.

Like many people on this forum have said it could be your sensors -  it is a known common fault in MK7 Fiesta's. However in my case my relay switch had became faulty - hence the fan not turning off. After taking it into the garage and getting a new relay fitted it's running smoothly again. 

Hope this information helps!

• Like 3

Same issue on a 2010 zetec. Struggling to find a part number for the relay?

Also which sensors would I be looking at if it turns out not to be the relay or would this be best taken to a garage to check over?

I've changed relay on car and still no change but it hasn't been coming on for a week or 2 now I've heard it does it after you do so many miles in the car but I don't no next time it does it I'm ringing ford about it, I bought a new car cause I was sick to death of my other falling pieces on me still no luck😑

• 3 weeks later...

Heya guys, sorry for the late replies. Have you managed to get it fixed now? or are the issues still occurring?

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem with my 2008 tdci I have to tap the relay to make it stop if I don’t the battery goes dead

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2018 at 3:18 PM, Peter Tomlinson said:

I have a Ford Fiesta Titanium Econetic TDCi 2016

Try this one, fan runs on when engine is stopped. Turn ignition back on, do not start the engine. Fan will now turn off. If you now turn ignition off immediately, you will now see that the fan will come back on again. This time turn on the ignition for a little longer and then turn it off. This time the fan will stay off. Now all you ford mechanics get your heads round that one. 

5 minutes ago, Lee16 said:

I have just bought a 2016 Ford zetec S TDCI

Is it normal for a diesel car fan to stay on after the car is switched on I’m sick of being ripped off I have a 6 month warranty and I guy from the dealry ship said it’s normal because it a diesel and that I should just take it a good run on the motor way can anyone help a woman out pretty please 

Edited by Lee16

Hi Lee, it is normal for the Fan to "over run" if the engine is very hot when you park up. I've had cars that have done this and the cooling fan has stayed on anything up to about two minutes. Mind in this weather I'm surprised your engine gets warm never mind hot

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I have the same problem, please could anyone help with part numbers for this relay fix?

Many thanks in advance

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club