Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rocker Cover Gasket

mrteewhy

Hi, i have a 1.6 tdci ford focus (2010). I currently have an oil leak, and a friend thinks that it may be the rocker cover gasket. If so, is this an easy repair? 

4 hours ago, mrteewhy said:

rocker cover gasket. If so, is this an easy repair?

In a word, No.

On the 1.6TDCI, I believe the camcover is integral with the inlet manifold. It also means removing injector high pressure pipes (at least according to Haynes), and these are intended for single use.

So double check the leak source before going ahead.

Blockages in the crankcase breather system can cause oil to leak from the camcover gasket, by pressurising the engine. Worth checking that first.

So I've just had a look in the Haynes at the crankcase section and i think I'd probably struggle with doing it (not sure i want to start drilling in case i f*#k it up), will it be visible where the oil is leaking from without taking my car apart too much? The oil is on the top of the engine if that's any help? 

43 minutes ago, mrteewhy said:

The oil is on the top of the engine

It is hard to tell without seeing the engine properly, but the oil separator part of the camcover (fig 4.10 in section 2A in Haynes) looks like it may come off without disturbing the high pressure pipes. If so, that would be a good starting point to look for leaks.

The crankcase ventilation hose is attached to this unit.

Ok, thank you for your advice! 

Just spoken to my cousin (he's a mechanic) and he thinks it may be an injector seal from what i described to him, would it be worth trying that first or trying the crankcase first? 

2 hours ago, mrteewhy said:

and he thinks it may be an injector seal

They are in the same area as the oil separator, if that was removed you might get a better view of the injector seals.

(The crankcase breather system is not down in the crankcase, it is on top of the engine)

Okie dokie, again, thank you for the advice. Will give you an update when i get around to doing it

• Like 1

If it's the same design as the earlier 1.6tdci engine (the Peugeot design) circa 2005, the black plastic breather box that sits at the front of the engine (on top of the cam cover) has a special moulded gasket which sits inside the breather sealing groove. It only contacts the cam cover machined face on a thin edge and is prone to leaking with age and or over tightening.

I removed the original moulded gasket and made an o ring gasket which fitted between the original gasket groove and stuck it in with super glue. Touch wood has this solved my oil leak which dribbled down the front of the engine and leaked into the casting around the injectors. It's easy to remove the breather box without disturbing anything else and worth a look. When this gasket leaks it drips down onto the cam cover joint and can make it look as though it's leaking.

Does any body know what the pressure should be in the breather box to avoid over pressurisation?

The upper injector tube seals (not the copper ones at the injector tips) are tricky to install and I used a socket with a similar inside diameter to get them in to the annular gap. You need to get the injectors out first. They can be a nightmare if the copper injector seal has been leaking allowing combustion products up the injector tube and bunging up the air gap around the injector body. Let's hope you don't have this problem! The other hard plastic ring that sits at the top of the injector tube is for alignment and doesn't seal anything.

There seems to be lots of documented problems with this engine regarding combustion gunge contaminating the engine oil and finding its way into the turbo and starving it of oil. Very regular oil and filter changes helps to keep this problem at bay. Hope you sort your mystery leak!

• Like 2

Thank you for that, i will save that for future reference, very informative!! Turns out two of my injector seal were broken, i took it to a garage that i have used in the past (very reliable) and they charged me £60 (was told by two separate mechanics that this was a fair price) which doesn't leave me too much out of pocket thank god! I know very little about car repairs and wasn't confident that i would be able to do this job so thought i would be better off getting a pro to do it this time! I really wish i learned more about cars when i was younger -_-

• Like 1