Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluefin remap

WillKinsella

Hi all, new to the forum as I have just recently purchased my fiesta zetec s 1.0L Ecoboost! Just wondering if any of you's lot have used the bluefin to map your fiesta

if so please feel free to let me know your thoughts on it! Even if you haven't, please let me know which direction to head in with maps for the 125 ecoboost engines, Cheers! 

image.jpeg

Hi, I remapped my 125 PS with Bluefin about 3 months ago. A very quick and simple process. I also added a K&N panel filter on the basis that Mountune had identified a "breathing" deficiency, but I'm not sure this has made any difference.

I've not had a chance to put the car on a dyno to see if the advertised increase has been achieved, but it has certainly improved the drive-ability of the car enormously. Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Will be looking into purchasing it then. And I was looking into the K&N panel myself but have read mixed reviews about if it actually does anything, cheers

On 24 August 2016 at 7:09 PM, ThaiFiesta said:

Hi, I remapped my 125 PS with Bluefin about 3 months ago. A very quick and simple process. I also added a K&N panel filter on the basis that Mountune had identified a "breathing" deficiency, but I'm not sure this has made any difference.

I've not had a chance to put the car on a dyno to see if the advertised increase has been achieved, but it has certainly improved the drive-ability of the car enormously. Highly recommended. 

Looking through your post and answers to posts you clearly know a lot! I'm wondering what's the best thing to do for the fiesta, should I jump straight into a remap with the bluefin? Or should I upgrade induction kit with mountune and possibly intercooler? Is it same to remap with a new K&N filter say? 

1 hour ago, WillKinsella said:

Looking through your post and answers to posts you clearly know a lot! I'm wondering what's the best thing to do for the fiesta, should I jump straight into a remap with the bluefin? Or should I upgrade induction kit with mountune and possibly intercooler? Is it same to remap with a new K&N filter say? 

Hmmm, not sure I know alot, I'm still learning.

The filter shouldn't change the remap, and there are arguments about which filter is more effective. If using a cone filter type induction kit it is important to ensure that it continues to receive cool air and not warmer under bonnet/hood air.  Mountine identified that the stock filter and intake was a bit breathless, hence the K&N filter and additional intake hose (which I am shamelessly imitiating with locally sourced material).

Mountune, Pumaspeed, Bluefin, etc all claim to have done extensive testing and have come up with different, sometimes unique solutions to increasing performance. I went with the Bluefin tune as it was relatively cheap, not requiring extensive hardware modifications and, importantly for me, is reversible (which the Mountune one is not).  Since installing it though I've discovered other reversible tunes that offer additional upgrade options so I may change if I decide on further enhancements.  I'm likely to run with Mountune hardware or similar from another reputible company if I do.  Mountine equipment has a major advantage of keeping the Ford warranty intact in countries where it is sold, but can be relatively expensive for the horsepower gains produced.

I guess it comes down to your views on cost, required performance end-state, and warranty.

1 hour ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Hmmm, not sure I know alot, I'm still learning.

The filter shouldn't change the remap, and there are arguments about which filter is more effective. If using a cone filter type induction kit it is important to ensure that it continues to receive cool air and not warmer under bonnet/hood air.  Mountine identified that the stock filter and intake was a bit breathless, hence the K&N filter and additional intake hose (which I am shamelessly imitiating with locally sourced material).

Mountune, Pumaspeed, Bluefin, etc all claim to have done extensive testing and have come up with different, sometimes unique solutions to increasing performance. I went with the Bluefin tune as it was relatively cheap, not requiring extensive hardware modifications and, importantly for me, is reversible (which the Mountune one is not).  Since installing it though I've discovered other reversible tunes that offer additional upgrade options so I may change if I decide on further enhancements.  I'm likely to run with Mountune hardware or similar from another reputible company if I do.  Mountine equipment has a major advantage of keeping the Ford warranty intact in countries where it is sold, but can be relatively expensive for the horsepower gains produced.

I guess it comes down to your views on cost, required performance end-state, and warranty.

You know a lot more than me should I say😂 And that's spot on. The reason I'm going to go with bluefin is the same as yours, the map is reversible. I'll probably buy the K&N filter and around Christmas time look into buying the mountune induction kit. 

Thanks a lot man! 

If you are applying a map from bluefin for example it makes no difference if you have an air filter first or add one later. The tune will make use of the extra air as it becomes available. The mountune intake is one of the best out there and is more than suitable for a stage 1 or even stage 2 tuned cars. If money is your main hurdle go and buy an ST200 airbox, this is exactly the same as the mountune one but made of plastic and costs about £85 new. Otherwise a second hand mountune box will set you back about £120.

As for tuning companies Mountune and Collins Performance are the best on the scene. Pumaspeed get mixed reviews. Bluefin are able to offer a great price but I would watch out as they remove the torque limits on first and second gear. This frees up more power but has been known to cause gearbox problems on the 5 speed box. Most tuners offer the ability to restore your cars factory settings yourself using their tuner so that really doesn't narrow your choice down. 

2 hours ago, CREED said:

Most tuners offer the ability to restore your cars factory settings yourself using their tuner so that really doesn't narrow your choice down. 

buy an ST200 airbox, this is exactly the same as the mountune one but made of plastic and costs about £85 new. Otherwise a second hand mountune box will set you back about £120.

When I asked Mountune they said this restore feature wasn't available for the 1.0 Ecoboost.  I note that it now seems to be available on the Focus RS, so it might flow down to lesser models, as they all use the same base mTune (Cobb) handset.

Great idea re the ST200 airbox.  If only they were available in Thailand :sad:

What's your take on the Revo tune?

• Like 1

I guess you wouldn't need to restore your stock tune if you went with mountune because they are warranty friendly? I guess that might not be the case in Thailand though. Yeah if the mTune can't restore it to stock then that's weird as it can do with the Fiesta ST.

Try getting in contact with sico developments, he sells the ST200 airbox and might be able to sort out international shipping for you. 

http://www.sico-developments.co.uk/

The Revo tune looks to give some good returns and isn't badly priced either. The only issue is that they don't have a portable tuning device so you would need to go to them to get the initial tune done. The SPS they offer only allows you to change the tune modes once it has been installed. The other issue is that even if you set the SPS to stock mode it will still show as revo tuned if Ford plug your car in to their system. From Revo themselves:  "NOTE: Stock mode is not completely stock, it will run similar performance levels to a stock vehicle. Your Revo dealer has a complete factory stock file, if any main dealer warranty or servicing work is required, we recommend returning your vehicle to complete stock. "

• Like 1

On 5 September 2016 at 11:24 PM, CREED said:

If you are applying a map from bluefin for example it makes no difference if you have an air filter first or add one later. The tune will make use of the extra air as it becomes available. The mountune intake is one of the best out there and is more than suitable for a stage 1 or even stage 2 tuned cars. If money is your main hurdle go and buy an ST200 airbox, this is exactly the same as the mountune one but made of plastic and costs about £85 new. Otherwise a second hand mountune box will set you back about £120.

As for tuning companies Mountune and Collins Performance are the best on the scene. Pumaspeed get mixed reviews. Bluefin are able to offer a great price but I would watch out as they remove the torque limits on first and second gear. This frees up more power but has been known to cause gearbox problems on the 5 speed box. Most tuners offer the ability to restore your cars factory settings yourself using their tuner so that really doesn't narrow your choice down. 

Cheers for that, and I would love to go down the Mountune route with the mTune but if i wasn't able to put the original map back on the car it would be a problem. I will probably get in touch with Mountune and ask them if it will be possible to take their map off if i wanted it. If not looks like I'll be using bluefin or possibly puma speed. I will however be buying the Mountune parts such as induction kit etc when available to, then it leaves me with the option to just buy the mTune off them if I wanted to. For now just want a little fun with extra power and it seems bluefin is cheapest with decent reviews!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 5 September 2016 at 11:24 PM, CREED said:

Just emailed Collinspeformance as well to see what they offer, so will compare the two and let you know!

• Like 1

No problem, there's no harm in using Mountune parts regardless of the map other than them being a bit pricey. Given that you live in a hotter climate you would probably be better off with an airbox rather than a cone. We've already talked about the Mountune and ST200 ones which are both good options, Finsport do one too. An upgraded intercooler would also be a good idea. If you're never planning on going much past stage 1 then something small like the Mountune cooler would be a good option, Airtec do one also.

If you decide to go with pumaspeed don't use their crackle maps as they will cause damage to your engine and catalytic converter. Otherwise with Bluefin go easy in first and second gear.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club