Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone tell me what best car scan tool

mikeyd1

Hi guys i just wanted to know what diagnstic tool i should im not electricly minded lol just need something for the just in case moment and clear and read codes and tell me what i need to fix as there is 4 cars in the house and i thought it would be a good idea to get one of these. Thanks in advance

For Fords you can't beat Forscan (other than IDS) with a modified elm327.

Not sure how many other cars it works on, might be worth a look.

For Fords at least, it's much better than generic code readers.

• Like 2

Hey Mikey

http://forscan.org/download.html

You will want one of these to connect to OBD port https://www.amazon.com/AUTOS-FAMILY-FORScan-Scanner-Vehicles-Diagnostic/dp/B017DIX7GA

Be aware there seems to be a lot of Chinese copies around so make sure you get a good one

Edited by Joss max
new link
  • Like 1

Just now, alexp999 said:

Thanks ales have u got a link and does the forscan come with the modified elm. I dont know much about car eletronic will i be abe to use this ? And will it work on date u say the misses ASTRA lol

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Thanks alex have u got a link and does the forscan come with the modified elm. I dont know much about car eletronic will i be abe to use this ? And will it work on date u say the misses ASTRA lol

12 minutes ago, Joss max said:

Hey Mikey

http://forscan.org/download.html

You will want one of these to connect to OBD port https://www.amazon.com/AUTOS-FAMILY-FORScan-Scanner-Vehicles-Diagnostic/dp/B017DIX7GA

Be aware there seems to be a lot of Chinese copies around so make sure you get a good one

Thanks joss i get it now so can i put this on my i phone. And do u know what cable i have to fit for the i phone as u say i dont want chinesse knock offs

virtually everything you can buy for less than a hundred quid is going to be a Chinese knock off as you put it.

http://www.spanglefish.com/tunnelratelectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

If its only ford cars then get that and save yourself a fortune.  there is nothing wrong with it and it has the medium CAN switch (GEM programming)

OBDLink MX bluetooth or SX usb is a good slightly more expensive alternative and has good software to match

• Like 1

OBDlink MX bluetoothworks a treat with FORSCAN and has is capable of multispeed CAN connection.

Pretty sure it will work with a wide range of OBD software on Android and PC for a wide range of vehicle makes besides ford.

Very quick and can be left plugged in to OBD socket without draining car battery.

• Like 1

For the Astra opcom is pretty decent but will need a laptop or tablet to get OT working. Comes with the adapter you need I got it for my friends Astra for around £20.

Forscan is Ford specific.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

i just wanted to know what diagnstic tool i should

For 3 Fords & one V*****l, I would get Forscan (with an ELM327 type adapter), and a basic self contained OBD2 scanner.

The self contained units are much more convenient to use, work with all cars (after about 2002 for Petrol & 2005 for Diesel), and will read (& clear if needed), the majority of engine related codes. I got a U480 off eBay, worked fine. Basic but very easy to use. About £10.

Forscan is more complex to setup, but easy to use once you have done it once. It is vastly more powerful than an OBD2 scanner. It covers just about all modules on the car, from door modules, ABS, Steering, air bags, to BCM, IC & Engine. It has a wide range of service functions needed when changing many parts. It can log live data while driving, to search out faults that garages find almost impossible to diagnose.

But as Simon says, it is Ford specific.

Forscan works best on a Windows laptop, with a USB ELM. The Tunnelrat one (in Darren's post has been reported to work well by several people. It is also available for iOS & Android for some tablets & phones.

Wireless ELMs are also available (bluetooth & WiFi), but are often not as reliable as the wired ones. Also they are rare in the "modified" form which is needed to access the 2nd Ford bus system. This 2nd bus is the MS-CAN bus, and links all the car interior electronics like door modules, and the BCM (aka GEM). But a standard ELM will still work with all the Underbonnet Modules (PCM, ABS etc) and with the IC (Instrument Cluster).

For an bluetooth wireless ELM, which one user at least says works with Forscan, see the KW902: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-KW902-Bluetooth-Scaner-OBD-Link-OBD2-Diagnose-Interface-Tester-white-UK-/281631334205

It is a really good idea to use these in car diagnostic systems. They are there to help, not to annoy and hinder. But you need the kit!.

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage due to that fault.

• Like 2

There is a great program called ScanXL which can be "obtained" but I think the OBDLink comes with good software anyway, forscan should be able to use it as well.

since its not just ford I would still buy the OBDLink SX or MX, I'm actually tempted to get it anyway as it has some great support with programs like ScanXL, which for one reason or another I cant get working with the ELM327  one

• Like 1

Just to add regarding the Astra I used opcom to program a new key for a friend of friend for her Corsa, she only had one key and the remote was totally knackered, now she has a spare key for manually unlocking and starting the car and a fully working remote key. Cost her 37 quid for her key from the same seller I got my car key from oh eBay.

• Like 1

And also can u anyone give me a link for the elm lead for a laptop. Thanks

FTDI were the best chipset for the budget modified elm devices when I bought mine. Can't find any I'd be happy buying yet though, will keep looking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

FTDI were the best chipset for the budget modified elm devices when I bought mine. Can't find any I'd be happy buying yet though, will keep looking.

Ok alex if u find one will u send me the link as i just ordered a laptop and a cheap scanner of amazon  the scanner is to keep in the car but i want to do it all properly with forscan off the laptop. Just need a good elm lead. Thanks mate. I still aint got a clue what im doing lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club