Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Sight test and contact lenses

laumk7

It's been a very long time since I had contact lenses last, but working in a chilled environment means no more fogging up of lenses lol.

Anyway, I've got a sight test due for tomorrow, is there any difference between this and a regular sight test?

I'm probably going to be getting my lenses online too as they're cheaper, astigmatism/ toric and varifocal pushes the price up considerably otherwise. Tbh I've found a grand total of one of these type lenses online. And at 35 a box (one eye) they ain't as cheap as most

Sight test is the same but they are a bit more vigorous concerning the surface of the eye, blood vessels and whether you get dry eyes (you need a moist surface to ensure oxygen transfer from the lens).

You would also usually get a lens check thrown in yearly whereas normal eye tests are every 2 years.

I've been a lens wearer for 27 years and other than changing from monthly to daily disposable lenses (due to a problem with refuced oxygen transfer causing abnormal blood vessel growth) I've been fine.

You may find that working in a refrigerated environment may cause an occasional drying effect on the lenses but carrying a small bottle of lens friendly eye drops will be beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

Additionally, I use Specsavers and they do a Lensmail service whereby you get a box of lenses through the post every 3 months for £30 a month including eye/lens tests and free standard spectacle lenses & frames.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

You also might need to factor in that many opticians will charge to provide you a contact lens prescription required to order lenses online.

Also online retailers only tend to sell slightly more established lines.

You get the newer tech from an opticians. At least you do from mine.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

You also might need to factor in that many opticians will charge to provide you a contact lens prescription required to order lenses online

They do this for glasses too, as I found out when I needed an extra measurement (nose bridge width).  Which was close to doubling the cost of the eye test:ohmy:

I go directly to an optical lab/manufacturer with my prescription: I presume contact lenses can be brought the same way, cutting out all the middlemen:smile:

43 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I've been a lens wearer for 27 years and other than changing from monthly to daily disposable lenses (due to a problem with refuced oxygen transfer causing abnormal blood vessel growth) I've been fine.

That's interesting, the police don't have the same barrier to lenses that the fire service do then?:unsure:

My mate had to leave the service when he was prescribed glasses and he'd opted for contact lenses, thinking that would be OK.  Glasses was sort of obvious, as your mask won't seal properly against your head but they didn't allow lenses as an alternative, then.  He could've had laser eye surgery and remained, but it was very expensive then, and not as effective as it is now

As long as my prescription is current and I carry a back-up pair of glasses I'm covered.

I have a military standard respirator issued for use in emergency cbrn situations which has prescription lenses fitted inside.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

For the first set buy them through the optician or they should give you a weeks supply as a trail, I too need toric lenses, it was the third type I trailed before they felt comfortable or would stay in place.

and yes working in chilled environments with glasses is a pain, in and out of -20 you spend more time wiping your glasses than working.

• Like 1

Well I tried specsavers; usual optician is D&A/boots, and we'll I wasn't impressed to say the least.

First they tested my eyes for glasses only :angry:

Then they wanted me to wear a different lenses in each eye :shock: rather than order in my very specific prescription; which is varifocal, toric lenses for astigmatism. So back to boots I went...

Gotta wait another month but at least then I'll have the right lenses

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club