Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding USB to a MK7 with Bluetooth

Jordan ZS

does that mean adding usb to my car is haarder ?

it'll be the same as what i have had to do... replace the bluetooth module, add the usb cables. get the stereo updated via IDS

it'll be the same as what i have had to do... replace the bluetooth module, add the usb cables. get the stereo updated via IDS

can a bluetooth module be added to a car with no bluetooth?

group buy lol just checked mines the low module ends in 488

already bought mine.. book into ford thursday to be put on IDS.

High end is about £180 - cables/trim including the ford Y cable are about £50

someone else asked this in the secret hole topic.

You need to check of there is any cabling in place behind/under the glove box.

check the last few posts

can find any extra cables, do you actually remove the glove box or just bend it all the way forward? even if the cables are there would i need to upgrade the entire stereo as i dont even have a phone button.

can find any extra cables, do you actually remove the glove box or just bend it all the way forward? even if the cables are there would i need to upgrade the entire stereo as i dont even have a phone button.

I doubt the cables are there.. you probably need a whole new centre console if you dont have a phone button (what does it say there/what does it look like?)

probably a new stereo too, the bluetooth module and then lots of cables

Very expensive probably.. best to go into ford and ask about it - they will probably say "sorry, no can do"

yeah i recon i would need the works, not fussed really the car was for the mrs so i didn't want bluetooth as she be able to phone me more often! i hadn't banked on how much id like driving the car, im now driving it most of the time and she drives my wagon! despite having far less grunt than my own its a pleasure to drive and very comfortable. if i could add it on for a few hundred then id consider it but i fear it would end up costing an absolute mint!

not fussed really the car was for the mrs so i didn't want bluetooth as she be able to phone me more often!

Good plan :)

yeah i recon i would need the works, not fussed really the car was for the mrs so i didn't want bluetooth as she be able to phone me more often! i hadn't banked on how much id like driving the car, im now driving it most of the time and she drives my wagon! despite having far less grunt than my own its a pleasure to drive and very comfortable. if i could add it on for a few hundred then id consider it but i fear it would end up costing an absolute mint!

Well im sure you can retro fit just bluetooth to your car.

You should be able to get a second hand module quite cheaply. Im gonna stick my module on eBay once the usb one has arrived. Gonna ask 80 quid for it. All you require is a replacement turn/signal/beam stalk with telephone prep and a microphone, which your ford dealer can supply. The fiesta harness should have the multiplugs there to take everything, so should be plug and play.

The easiest way to check if the car is prewired for bluetooth is to remove the courtesy light and see if there is a multiplug connector there for the microphone:

3132226787_c14b9ea337.jpg

You may require a visit to the dealers for a session on the IDS, like Steve, or you may be lucky.

Steve

Glad to hear nearly your usb nearly sorted. Whats the dealer charging you? An hours labour for a session on the IDS? Whilst its on, see if they can update the firmware for the new module so it adds more phone compatibility. You've paid for the time.

Steve

Glad to hear nearly your usb nearly sorted. Whats the dealer charging you? An hours labour for a session on the IDS? Whilst its on, see if they can update the firmware for the new module so it adds more phone compatibility. You've paid for the time.

They didnt quote me a price - i said how long would it take and they said about half hour max. So id expect t be charged half hour labour.

But they did say "did you have USB before we changed your stereo?" i replied "if i say yes then ill get this software updated for free, so yes i did have usb" this was asked after i explained in great detail how i added the USB to the car after they fixed the stereo.

The guy in there is pretty cool anyway and i reckon he might swing it for free as he said other people had asked about adding usb, so maybe seeing how i have done it might get them some extra cash.

I shall let you know thursday how much they charge.

Well im sure you can retro fit just bluetooth to your car.

You should be able to get a second hand module quite cheaply. Im gonna stick my module on ebay once the usb one has arrived. Gonna ask 80 quid for it. All you require is a replacement turn/signal/beam stalk with telephone prep and a microphone, which your ford dealer can supply. The fiesta harness should have the multiplugs there to take everything, so should be plug and play.

The easiest way to check if the car is prewired for bluetooth is to remove the courtesy light and see if there is a multiplug connector there for the microphone:

3132226787_c14b9ea337.jpg

forgot to mention that is a good way to check :P

some people dont have the Phone button on there centre console so it is much harder.. and im thinking that the cabling to the bluetooth module isnt in place... waiting to hear back from some people as to whether they have the cabling there.

forgot to mention that is a good way to check :P

some people dont have the Phone button on there centre console so it is much harder.. and im thinking that the cabling to the bluetooth module isnt in place... waiting to hear back from some people as to whether they have the cabling there.

The cabling should be the same bluetooth or not. The wiring harness should be standard across the board. Just the fact there is no bluetooth module plugged in.

Im not sure what effect the multifuntion display has though as this is different with bluetooth/VC/USB option.

The cabling should be the same bluetooth or not. The wiring harness should be standard across the board. Just the fact there is no bluetooth module plugged in.

Im not sure what effect the multifuntion display has though as this is different with bluetooth/VC/USB option.

But yeah id agree the cabling should all be there - bar the usb cable

Hmmm could be costly then for the factory fit option. With possibly a new head unit and centre console section. Without talking to the dealers first, who would probably be less knowledgable than us, as you have found Steve. then the other option is either the Parrot or IO Play route.

Hmmm could be costly then for the factory fit option. With possibly a new head unit and centre console section. Without talking to the dealers first, who would probably be less knowledgable than us, as you have found Steve. then the other option is either the Parrot or IO Play route.

Its not like we havent gained anything from this.. we have sourced all the parts, fitted them and now i have got ford updating the software on thursday.

And did all this after Ford told me that it couldn't be done.

I have been quite happy finding out about all this, and hasnt really cost that much. probably more than it would if i had the choice when i got the car. But hey... im not fussed :)

But if i didnt have any bluetooth or vc i would have probably gone into ford and got them to quote to source and fit the whole lot.

If anyone wants a bluetooth Module without the USB enabled PM me or it will be on eBay soon.

next project ............. fitting cruise control?

hell no, i already have it

im aiming bigger.. thinking maybe controlling the car from a playstaion controller? or maybe a self driving car, so cruise control with steering and breaking

u reckon cruise controls easy to fit i dont have it but would love to have it i may experiment at work and have a look for wiring

u reckon cruise controls easy to fit i dont have it but would love to have it i may experiment at work and have a look for wiring

LOL here we go shall i start another topic lol?

LOL here we go shall i start another topic lol?

clearly an insane idea, something i will not be involved in. im happy just playing around with the stereo

Can you link me to the parts please, steven. Cant find them anywhere on the site.

thanks.

Can you link me to the parts please, steven. Cant find them anywhere on the site.

thanks.

check page two of this topic.... my last post on there. has all the part numbers on there.. or you could wait till after thursday when i will probably post the whole process including part numbers, installation with pictures and stuff.

Thanks. The only code that show something is the Y cable, cant find any of the others. I'll be looking forward to Thursday, hope it all works.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club