Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.0l TDCI Fuel sender

rg1642

Hi all,

Simple question. Does the fuel sender unit on this model incorporate a lift pump to assist the fuel system? I have had some small metal particles in the fuel filter, tank side to go with some slow starting and want to rule out a failed lift pump before I do anything else. The Haynes manual says it has but Haynes have said this before about other diesel cars and been wrong.

Thanks

Russ

4 hours ago, rg1642 said:

Does the fuel sender unit on this model incorporate a lift pump to assist the fuel system?

Not sure what your engine is, title says 2.0L, profile says 1.8.

The 1.8TDCI has no lift pump (blooming nuisance, I have had to fit a non-return valve to ease system filling after a filter change). I have heard that the 1.6TDCI does not have one, I suspect the 2L TDCI does not have one.

You should be able to hear it with ignition on prior to start if it has.

The diesel pump generates plenty of suction, but only if it has fuel at its inlet. Any air on the pump inlet side just stops it working. Poor priming (and it is not easy with no NRV or lift pump), or leaks in the filter housing will cause bad starting.

• 1 month later...

It's my wifes 2.0l model. Haynes manual say it has one in the fuel sender unit but so many say no and so many say yes. Suppose the only way to find out is take it out and look. Thanks for the replies. At least the no was consistent on this forum. :)

Your right :) But I had to look LOL

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club