Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Ecoboost Ticking issue.

Leezer

So my car has recently developed an issue. When the car is idling and I can occasionally hear is ticking over louder than normal from the engine bay. When my foot is on the brake I can also feel the feedback of the ticking a bit. It gets faster as I accelerate but isn't always present.

The car is still under warranty so I'm wondering should I leave it in and get it seen to? 

If there is a fault and it isn't covered under the warranty, am I liable for the labour cost? Also, does anyone have experience of leaving a car in to check for a fault? Is it a fast process?  The reason I ask is because I need my car every single day without fail?

What would you do? As there isn't seemingly anything really 'wrong' with the car yet would you just leave it as is?

Ta :)

Let Ford sort it out.   If it's under warranty it shouldn't cost you anything and you should get a courtesy car while they have it.

• Like 1

Most dealers have courtesy cars, so you could book one of these if you can't be without a car.

They will typically need your car for a day and this tends to be long enough to diagnose and fix most faults and it probably won't cost you anything if your car has a warranty.  And even if they want to charge you for work - just take your car back and walk away!

• Like 1

Noisy tappets... Can you hear the engine ticking only when it's running cold? I had a FIAT Fire 1200cc for about 10 years: it started ticking at about 140k KM, when I sold the car it had about 350k KM and it was still ticking.

• Like 1

doubt it will be tappets if it only does it on tick over. they are solid bucket type tappets,

just book it in for ford to have a look.

• Like 1

Think I will have it looked at any way although everyone in the thread had a useful response so genuinely thanks to all.

Can you report back when you have had the car looked at i think iv got a similar problem, have a look at my video i put up on my thread, only in cold mornings and only goes when accelerator is pushed

So...They said the engine noise was normal and there was nothing wrong. I suppose until something actually goes wrong it'll be ok. Bit annoyed that they hadn't noticed the louder engine noise but hey ho they said they tested it against the same model. Ah well

Ive heard the louder noise on them , they all do it occasionally. comes and goes.

@Leezer is this the noise your referring too this is the one mines making but it hasn't done it in a couple of weeks 

On 13/09/2016 at 8:17 AM, AlexBartlam said:

@Leezer is this the noise your referring too this is the one mines making but it hasn't done it in a couple of weeks 

That is the noise indeed Sir. They didn't pick up on it or if they did said it was normal.

yh i cant see how this is normal, it only does it on cold mornings when i get to work is when i notice it, it could be the engine and other parts warming up is my guess, 

well this morning it made the noise again so i had a play around with it, noise when idling same as the video, accelerator reved noise goes, clutch pressed not in gear noise still present, clutch lifted in 1st gear noise goes, just seems to go when there is more than 1000 revs.

Got home after work today to it doing it again so i sat on my drive with it at 3500rpm the poer girl gave me a funny look but a minute at there stopped the noise 

Ive just bought a focus 1.5 ecoboost red edition had it a month and although I can't here the noise in the cabin. When I get out to open the gates at home I hear a very simialar noise coming from the engine. What I find very strange is the ecoboost engines sound very much like a diesel just a little quieter. But when I had my fiesta ST2 1.6 ecoboost I never had the sound what so ever. I've looked all over the Internet and it seems it's just normal for the ecoboost to make the ticking sound like a diesel. 

6 hours ago, StevenST13 said:

Ive just bought a focus 1.5 ecoboost red edition had it a month 

I hear my 1.0 sometimes; I especially notice it having read this thread. Seems more noticeable when it's just warming up. 

Sorry to thread hijack: How do you find the Focus compared to the Fiesta? I saw one in the showroom the other day - they look nice. Seems the 1.5 can be tweaked nicely too 👍

12 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

I hear my 1.0 sometimes; I especially notice it having read this thread. Seems more noticeable when it's just warming up. 

Sorry to thread hijack: How do you find the Focus compared to the Fiesta? I saw one in the showroom the other day - they look nice. Seems the 1.5 can be tweaked nicely too 👍

So as I needed more space (especially boot space) due to now have a 10 month old son that's a big plus for the focus. To be honest there's a lot of pros to the focus. It's a lovely car looks good very comfy and easy to drive sync 2 is a massive improvement on the Sony sync system in the fiesta ST and I now have satnav. The aircon even though it's manual is a massive improvement on the fiesta's aircon which I found quite poor. But all in all it's great and I do love the car. The cons and this is me being very picky tbf. The gear ratios are to long and I've found that there is noticeable turbo lag. The turbo is said to kick in at 1600rpm but I've found that it's very flat until you hit 2000rpm. in the fiesta ST there was no lag what so ever as if the turbo was constantly on boost. But this could also be down to the engine and clutch still bedding in as it's only done 700miles so far. Strangely I also got better mpg from the fiesta ST but this again could be due to it not being properly bedded in yet. The big question is would I recommend a focus red edition and yes I would it's a great car especially if you have a small family like me. As for tweaking if looked everywhere and there's not a thing yet to remap the engine from mountune or anywhere else so not really that tweak able as yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenST13 said:

As for tweaking if looked everywhere and there's not a thing yet to remap the engine from mountune or anywhere else so not really that tweak able as yet. 

I thought I'd seen that Superchips have a Bluefin tune, but maybe for a different engine variant. 

1 hour ago, ThaiFiesta said:

I thought I'd seen that Superchips have a Bluefin tune, but maybe for a different engine variant. 

There all for the 1.6 ecoboost not the 1.5 ecoboost unfortunately. 

I'd rather not go down the bluefin road as it's not warranty friendly. If there was a mountune upgrade like the ST's I'd do it then. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎20 at 6:15 PM, StevenST13 said:

Ive just bought a focus 1.5 ecoboost red edition had it a month and although I can't here the noise in the cabin. When I get out to open the gates at home I hear a very simialar noise coming from the engine. What I find very strange is the ecoboost engines sound very much like a diesel just a little quieter. But when I had my fiesta ST2 1.6 ecoboost I never had the sound what so ever. I've looked all over the Internet and it seems it's just normal for the ecoboost to make the ticking sound like a diesel. 

Hi

I have a brand new Ford Mondeo 1.5 Ecoboost (Nov. 2016, about 1500 miles on the clock) and it "knocks" from the beginnig. I've made two videos:

You can hear it especially on the second video. Frankly speaking I'm a little bit confused and worried - my dealer says (of course), that it's normal. The strange thing is as well, that the "knocking" sound is sometimes very regular and sometimes it's almost not to hear - only single "clicks" occasionally.

I don't know what to think about it...

Best Regards

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club