Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scratch Repair

KaGirl1982

Hiya guys. I bought a Ford touch up kit to cover up a couple of minor scratches on my car. It's the two stage one with the colour and the clearcoat. Problem is, if you use it like they tell you to, it looks awful! So I have an airbrush but to use the paint I have with the airbrush, I need to thin it. Problem is, I have no idea what's in the paint so have no idea what to thin it with or at what ratio. I went to Halfords but they were about as much use as cockroach at a health inspection, so I'm kinda stuck. Someone said acetone, but I use that to melt off fake nails, ain't no way I'm spraying that on my car!! Any ideas anyone? I've attached a picture of the paint so you can see what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.jpg

removed reply  due to not reply from original poster.

another time waster

If its minor scratches then i would have used t-cut and some turtle wax - actually i did just that today.

Check this guy Chrisfix he is really good!

To delboy, I wasn't aware you'd posted this publicly but if you want to take it there I will do. The reason I didn't reply is because I was in hospital and I have been having treatment for stomach cancer. Now if you think while I was undergoing the treatments I should have popped in just to reply to you then I'm sorry but hospitals don't generally look kindly on that sort of thing and to be perfectly honest, I think cancer is a bigger worry that what someone on a forum who I'll never meet thinks of me. I can't see what you said, you deleted it, but before you throw a hissy fit next time, bear in mind people do have problems you know nothing about that might prevent them from being glued to the internet!!

Thanks Omendata for the reply. I'll look into that. :-)

5 minutes ago, KaGirl1982 said:

To delboy, I wasn't aware you'd posted this publicly but if you want to take it there I will do.

I've posted no end on the forum and quite a few of my messages have gone unanswered or 'liked'... But never thrown me rattle out me pram and edited a post just because no one answered or even 'liked' it, oh well :blush:

Get well soon Naomi

37178090.jpg

Aw, thank you. xx They caught it early and the op is booked in for early October so hopefully I'll come through it okay :-)

On 04/09/2016 at 5:35 PM, KaGirl1982 said:

I went to Halfords but they were about as much use as cockroach at a health inspection,

That about seems to sum up the general opinion of Halfords on this site!

Most car body paints are thinned by cellulose thinners. You can usually tell by the smell, once you know what it is.

Hal-cockroach-fords claims to sell it, also available on eBay.

Acetone might work, I am pretty sure it will evaporate off the car paint before it can do any harm. You could try it is a very inconspicuous area, inside the car under one of the trim panels, perhaps.

(If I got upset by folk not answering my replies, I would have packed up long ago!. Best wishes, Peter)

i hope it gets sorted as it all we seem to hear about now .i have left post reply to so many people on the site and no one bothers to reply unless they are the older members. all the newbies seem to do is sign up get the problem solved and we never hear from them again and it gets frustrating. apologies if i upset anyone  with me rattles...........ian lanc

look at the video left by gary (omendata).

i can supply you with the relevant thinners for you to spray the paint on not cellulose

as thats what i do for a living im a paint sprayer.

first try using a toothpick to apply the paint as that works and allow the colour to fully harden before applying the lacquer (clear coat)

you can use an hair dryer to speed up the drying.

email me back if you stilll need help

oh the video shows the use of 3000 and 5000 grade paper thats quite expensive to buy

i can supply you 1200 and 2000 grade if you need it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club