Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wheel nut sizes

mrmetallica

hi .I've got a ford focus mk2.5 09 .

i want to change the wheel nuts to solid ones(with out the silly caps) I've seen on eBay they are m12x1.5 alloy only

are these the right size nuts please 

depends if youre on original ford alloys or after market alloys.

thread size is the same regardless , but the width of the tapered conical washer is different.

ford wheels need a i wider nut , like these.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-20-M12-x-1-5-19mm-Hex-OE-Style-alloy-wheel-nuts-lugs-bolts-for-Ford-/261970738635?hash=item3cfeac3dcb

aftermarket wheels need a narrow nut due to smaller bolt recess , like these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-M12-x-1-5-19mm-HEX-FORD-ALLOY-WHEEL-OPEN-NUT-FIESTA-FOCUS-KA-MONDEO-C-MAX-/140902744784?hash=item20ce7542d0

note the difference in the size of cone washer between the 2 types

i have had the first set fitted to my car over 12 months with no fuss , theyre a solid chunk of metal , real good quality.

finish off with a set of plastic wheel nut covers as the zinc finish will fade / dull after a while , although not rust as such. 

1 hour ago, biff55 said:

depends if youre on original ford alloys of after market alloys.

thread size is the same regardless , but the width of the tapered conical washer is different.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-20-M12-x-1-5-19mm-Hex-OE-Style-alloy-wheel-nuts-lugs-bolts-for-Ford-/261970738635?hash=item3cfeac3dcb

aftermarket wheels need a narrow nut due to smaller bolt recess , like these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-M12-x-1-5-19mm-HEX-FORD-ALLOY-WHEEL-OPEN-NUT-FIESTA-FOCUS-KA-MONDEO-C-MAX-/140902744784?hash=item20ce7542d0

i have had the first set fitted to my car over 12 months with no fuss , theyre a solid chunk of metal , real good quality.

finish off with a set of plastic wheel nut covers as the zinc finish will fade / dull after a while , although not rust as such. 

im on original alloys yeah .the first ones you put is the ones i was thinking of

ive noticed that people dont seem to like to talk about their nuts lol

16 hours ago, biff55 said:

depends if youre on original ford alloys or after market alloys.

Have you any images of these fitted to your car? I have been looking for a set of wheel nuts as the original ford ones have lost the caps and look dreadful without them. 

I'll take a couple of pics after tea.

the neighbours will think i've gone mad taking close up photos of my cars wheel lol.

after 1 years use , no protection ;

IMG-20160906-00005.jpg

now with black plastic bolt caps fitted ;

IMG-20160906-00006.jpg

silver painted calipers for the win !

:-D

15 hours ago, biff55 said:

IMG-20160906-00005.jpg

IMG-20160906-00006.jpg

Very very Nice biff, They seem to weather pretty well after 1 year unprotected but I like the black plastic caps as they give the alloy a nice effect. where did you get the plastic caps and how are they holding up? so would you say those alloys nuts are 100% as a replacement for the ford ones, I know that sometimes you can get very cheap metal ones that crack but if you have been using those for a year or more I'd say they be ok,. so are those the one in the first link?

Cheers

* I Like the silver calipers they do look very tidy indeed. Great set up all round you have there.

• Like 1

got the plastic bolt caps ( 19mm ) off eBay , £6 for pack of 20 , theres loads of sellers selling the pretty much the same product , just take your pick really.

caps have been on the car a month and still look ok , but they are so cheap you can just replace them whenever they start to get tatty.

the first link i posted is the exact seller i bought my wheel nuts from , a bargin for only a pound each i think.

You don't run any lockers, Pete?

well spotted lol.

the car came with the original ford locking nuts when i bought it but they were well rusting away so binned them rather than have probs getting them off at a later date.

didnt bother replacing them as the alloys are not a particularly desirable or exclusive style - bog standard 16" 5 spokes  , and to be honest wheel theft as a popular crime sort of died out in the 80's as i havent seen a car on bricks for decades :-D

its a risk im prepared to take though as the wheel has a much cleaner / symmetrical look to them without an ugly locking nut sticking out on every wheel, and i never have to worry about removing them to get the wheel off.

i suppose it depends on where you live and park your car to consider doing it , most owners probably wouldnt understandably.

i'd certainly fit them again if i'd splashed out on expensive aftermarket wheels.

• Like 1

I keep mine not because someone might nick the wheels - lets face it, 16" Multispokes can't be desirable! - but in case someone thinks its funny to loosen them.  I have seen a few instances of this unfortunately, not sure what they get out of it but at least one would still be tight so I'd notice the noise/wobble before the wheel fell off.  The rusty look does annoy me though, just no money left to replace them lol. :sad: 

Funny you say about cars on bricks, one of the guys on the Peugeot forum had his alloys nicked (horrible alloys, I've had sets the same I couldn't give away!) right opposite his house earlier this year, they didn't even put the car on bricks, just dropped it on the brake discs!  That was up North as well but maybe you live in the nicer North, geography isn't my strong point! :laugh: 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I forgot all about these lol!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Car-Wheel-Nut-Bolt-Head-19mm-Black-Covers-Caps-Plastic-Hexagonal-Protectors-/381816932643?fits=Car+Make%3AFord&hash=item58e6100923:g:NRAAAOSw44BYGvi5

nearly all of my wheels are mising the chrome caps from the nuts (original ford ones) thanks to the tyre fellas. I was wondering instead of swapping the whole nut for a new ones would the plastic black caps pop on over my exsisting nuts?

just be a little cheaper than forking ut for a whole new set. :unsure:

• 4 months later...
On 06/09/2016 at 7:18 PM, biff55 said:

IMG-20160906-00005.jpg

IMG-20160906-00006.jpg

Pete

how are these wheel nuts holding up now? Im looking into getting a set as well as the plastic caps to help with the look.

Cheers

On 11/3/2017 at 12:54 PM, sonic113 said:

Pete

how are these wheel nuts holding up now? Im looking into getting a set as well as the plastic caps to help with the look.

Cheers

no worse , exactly the same condition as when that pic was taken , still have the same bolt caps fitted also.

:-)

• Like 1

I spoke to the seller when mine started to "corrode/discolour" - the zinc layer is designed to act as a sacrificial coating.

I need to take mine off and get the crap off them, so that the caps will fit without sticking - i had to cut one off that I tried putting on as a test.

Having changed mine for a set of these this week I believe it’s one of the best “mods” to do when the car is new to you. 

The silly caps kept sticking inside my wrench and I needed to tap them out every time I changed one. Annoying enough when it’s fairly sunny but when you have a flat and it’s raining?

• Like 1

My only advice would be to put the plastic caps on when the nuts are new. It may help prevent the corrosion of the sacrificial coating.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club