Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van speed camera

Patrico777

Hi

I been driving down dual carriegway today there is 50mph limit while me doing 60mph just saw speed camera van on orher side of dual carriege way can my apeed camera   Catch me ?? I

Probably depends on where the cameras were pointed and volume of traffic, like Mitch said you'll find out in 2 weeks

If your worried about getting a speeding ticket, don't speed, simple as.

• Like 3

Bear in mind that the cameras used in speed vans can ping you at more than a kilometre.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Bear in mind that the cameras used in speed vans can ping you at more than a kilometre.

I never knew they reached that far, do they use radar or laser? Or if you can't tell us that's fine too.

Laser.

Actually it's pretty much 1 1/2 Km on a straight road.

Sent from my SM-G930F

6 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Laser.

Actually it's pretty much 1 1/2 Km on a straight road.

Sent from my SM-G930F

That's pretty far indeed certainly explains why they catch so many people entering and leaving Hull as that's become a  bit of a hotspot for mobile cameras so whenever I'm up there, have to watch the speedo religiously.

Hate that, when someone holier than thou says "Don't speed simple as" 

Never in their life exceeded the speed limit?

• Like 2

i had also posted about this in another thread, i got stopped by an unmarked motor for doing 60 when because of the weight of the van i should have only been doing 50, in now worried if i've passed a van doing 60 as i thought that was the limit regardless of the vans weight, could the van determine that i should have been doing 50 or would they have just seen me doing 60 and thought nothing else of it?

50 minutes ago, Pullock said:

I never knew they reached that far, do they use radar or laser? Or if you can't tell us that's fine too.

Not sure what they iused as there are tries in kiddle of carriegway

Better hope the central reservation barrier is high enough to block it then. I've had a few where I've been on edge for a couple of weeks. Luckily its been me blinking and adding about 10mph on my speedo mentally to scare myself :D

First time I thought I had was just me messing with the heater settings whilst going down a hill with cameras on. I blinked and thought I saw a flash. Since that I've kept one eyeball on my speedo xD

Worst I've ever got is a bus ticket. Surprisingly on a road I do every single day, but because I was in with my mum, we were going shopping at the wrong time of day compared to when I normally make that trip and it didn't twig as to why people weren't using both lanes till it was too late. We would have only had to have been 10 minutes later to be out of the lane operation time. Mum paid it cause she said it was her fault for not having a coffee at my uncles before we set off. Haha funny times!

56 minutes ago, Jezza54 said:

Yes it gets boring 

in any case of a speeding ticket from a mobile van, make sure it's parked in a legal place, if not get pictures of it and contest any fine.

its becoming a game up my way, the vans are being parked in bus stops and completely covering foot paths to catch speeders. One guy has been catching them out and putting in official complaints.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jezza54 said:

I never said that I haven't exceeded the limit, all I'm saying is that if you go over the limit you risk facing the consequences and you accept that.

If you want to avoid those consequences then stay at the limit, I am not a perfect driver nor do I claim to be.

Nobody is an expert driver.

You do your driving test once and that's it, many bad habits creep in over the years.

Camera vans are usually parked at pre-surveyed locations and some now also link into road sensors via a small interface socket in a metal post by the road .

Vans, cameras and suchlike are only located where VSI (Very Seriously Injured) road traffic incidents are recorded in order to reduce the risks.

I'm sure that nobody can claim innocence of speeding (myself definitely included here) so hence the simple statement-

We ALL need to pay attention on the road and change OUR attitudes when driving.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Nobody is an expert driver.

You do your driving test once and that's it, many bad habits creep in over the years.

Camera vans are usually parked at pre-surveyed locations and some now also link into road sensors via a small interface socket in a metal post by the road .

Vans, cameras and suchlike are only located where VSI (Very Seriously Injured) road traffic incidents are recorded in order to reduce the risks.

I'm sure that nobody can claim innocence of speeding (myself definitely included here) so hence the simple statement-

We ALL need to pay attention on the road and change OUR attitudes when driving.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Let see what happens hopefully it was scanning only oncomin traffic as if they even try other side there were loads of tries in kiddle

Anyway, while we are all watching the speedometer, we can instead neglect to watch the road :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

Anyway, while we are all watching the speedometer, we can instead neglect to watch the road :)

That will cause a whole host of other problems, we have to learn to manage both equally but at the end of the day would you rather put your own/someone else's life in danger or get a fine and points for a little excess speed. Not a hard choice really.

2 minutes ago, Pullock said:

That will cause a whole host of other problems, we have to learn to manage both equally but at the end of the day would you rather put your own/someone else's life in danger or get a fine and points for a little excess speed. Not a hard choice really.

That's not the point I was making. Of course driving safely is of paramount importance. But it feels less achievable when you feel as though you have to watch the speedometer like a hawk because cameras are lurking around every corner.

Speed cameras don't really solve the major problem that is viral levels of bad driving that we all see, day in day out. They just make it more acceptable for idiots to drive dangerously because they are less likely to kill someone when doing so. Speed cameras are cheap and crude policing and now they largely replace traffic officers who should be out there punishing people who cause accidents. You know the type - aggressive, phone using, cutting up, self important toss pots. Exactly the sort that the yellow piggy banks can't catch.

...end rant...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GaryPL said:

That's not the point I was making. Of course driving safely is of paramount importance. But it feels less achievable when you feel as though you have to watch the speedometer like a hawk because cameras are lurking around every corner.

Speed cameras don't really solve the major problem that is viral levels of bad driving that we all see, day in day out. They just make it more acceptable for idiots to drive dangerously because they are less likely to kill someone when doing so. Speed cameras are cheap and crude policing and now they largely replace traffic officers who should be out there punishing people who cause accidents. You know the type - aggressive, phone using, cutting up, self important toss pots. Exactly the sort that the yellow piggy banks can't catch.

...end rant...

Sorry I understand you now, but your right what do people do for speed cameras, they slow down once they reach them and speed up after them  so they're hardly making any difference.

• Like 1

The penalty for driving without due care is actually much worse than for speeding.

5 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

The penalty for driving without due care is actually much worse than for speeding.

That's very true, I  didn't think of it that way.

10 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

They've got to have enough police out to catch them first though. It's at a stage where it's silly not to have dashboard cameras now.

Speed cameras don't work...

I got stuck in crawling traffic yet again in the recently lowered 60 limit with average cameras...get half way through this section to find another smashed car with police around it causing the delays.  It was far safer and there were less accidents when you could do 70/75 over the bridge whilst watching the road and being able to pass lorries instead of the being glued to the speedo, the car you're too close to in front because people keep braking for apparently no reason (idiots!), your blind spots where there is always a car because you're all doing the same speed plus or minus 2mph, the lorry on your left pulling out after 1 flash of an indicator because of the people in front of him that can't use a bit of throttle on the uphill side of the bridge...  This particular stretch of road has been made so much more dangerous with the new limit and avg cameras that it was a big part of the reason I replaced my dash cam!

There's also been a camera van parked in a small village on the main road to my Nans recently, it's a very small village with a wide road, no schools or children about, and as it's the only road to other rural villages pretty much all the locals drive at 35/40 through it.  You know the van's there when there's a huge concertina of brake lights and people flashing from the other direction.  The cars all speed up again when they're round the next corner. How's that supposed to help safety? :lol:  I'm not even aware of ANY crashes, let alone fatals on this particular road, it's dead straight and clear.  I do know there are some stupid overtakes on it though as it's just before a long NSL with no safe overtaking places (unless you've got a good amount of power under your foot), not sure if that alone allows it to be a camera location.

Those flashing 30 signs don't work either, huge waste of money they are, there's some of them in the other villages, oddly the trigger speed changes as well, sometimes they flash at 31mph on the speedo...but other times you can go through at 35 and they don't flash... :unsure:   Still, what's the point of them, people don't take any notice unless they're actually paired with cameras and fines...but I suppose they are just put in where the speeding isn't actually causing any issues so they can't put camera's there. 

Speeding isn't the biggest killer on our roads, but it's the simplest & most profitable one to tackle. 

• Like 2